Need help with textures/Meshes

Hello all, as stated I need help with Textures and Meshes. I'm using CBBE, Body Slide with outfit studio, some CBBE Outfits/presets and animation mods. I'm trying to get the outfits to fit over my character and followers, among other things. And also get some of my other mods to actually work, or at least do what they're supposed to do. And honestly I have no clue what I am doing and a lot of tutorials I've looked up are WAY out of date, or just too confusing IMO. If someone can help me either in real time, or knows someone who can, I'd really appreciate it!

Edited by Zindith

First things first,

You gotta have a Mod Manager,

Its even split around here about preferred one but mostly Mod Developers and Long time modders prefer MO2,

Everybody else loves Vortex,

Old Hands that have been around since the dawn of time prefer no mod manager and that everyone earns their marks from the pain of not using one.

There is also rumored to be a group of people that still use the cursed NMM!

Its important to remember that most people do not know how to use Managers other than the one they have been using, so not every one can help you...More Mod Authors use MO2 than not.

STEP forum almost uses MO2 exclussively they are the top notch modding group that writes guides on how to mod the game and will help people a hellava lot getting started from a zero to a monster tier load order.

All the big time personalities on YouTube use MO2, not Vortex sorry its how it is.

You should be fine with MO2 or Vorex but remember that not everyone is going to be able to help you based on this most important first decision, myself as a mod author have no idea what the heck to do with Vortex.

So remove all your mods, just keep them in a download folder you have made so its easier to reinstall them.

IF you have been dumping the mods directly into the Skyrim  Fallout 4\DATA folder most people will refuse to help you at all until you have deleted the whole folder and redownloaded, its just how it is.

Then download a mod manager,

Either one of the two I mentioned you are still going to have to start the game through the default launcher at least one time.

Then exit out,

Now we go look at INI files in the MO2,

Then waht we want is to alter a setting there.

image.png

bInvalidateOlderFiles=1

This is normally set to 0 no matter what unless you the person, man, woman, furry, or whatever decide to move those fingers to change that to a "1"

IF it reads zero aka 0.

No mods will work.

A lot of us tend to forget about that vital first step and have a hard time remembering to mention this one to people in Tech support.

STEP,

https://stepmodifications.org/forum/forum/179-fallout-4/

Edited by Gameplayer

What tutorials have you been looking at?

There are some pinned threads here on LL in the Fallout 4 and Skyrim threads that might help you get started if you haven't looked at them already.  Yes, Skyrim is a different game, but it's still from Bethesda and the principals will be the same.

The STEP Guide, as mentioned by @Gameplayer, is another excellent resource.  Same with their recommendation to use a good mod manager, either Mod Organizer 2 or Vortex.

On Youtube, I recommend tutorial videos by Gopher and Gamer Poets.  A lot of their videos are made around Skyrim, but again, the principles and mechanics will be the same and you'll set up your stuff the same way.

It also sounds like you need to download and use Bodyslide if you haven't already, and run that to make some of your outfits fit better.

58 minutes ago, Gameplayer said:

First things first,

You gotta have a Mod Manager,

Its even split around here about preferred one but mostly Mod Developers and Long time modders prefer MO2,

Everybody else loves Vortex,

Old Hands that have been around since the dawn of time prefer no mod manager and that everyone earns their marks from the pain of not using one.

There is also rumored to be a group of people that still use the cursed NMM!

Yeah i kind of forgot to include the Mod Manager I'm using, sorry about that. I'm using Vortex, Now as for switching over, would that be something I should do? Or would I still be able to do what I want/need to get my mods, clothing and textures to work the way I'd like them to and finally be able to have a game where I'm happy with? Like I said before I'm still VERY new when it comes to Meshes/Textures/Overlays ETC. As for modding, that's a tricky one. Although I've been modding for years, I have no REAL experience when it comes to the nitty and gritty stuff. I know how to load mods correctly/correct load order, and can fix some errors when they occur, and other MISC things, but that's about it. And honestly until now that was enough. But I'd like to get more out of my games and mods honestly, just need help.

43 minutes ago, travelmedic said:

What tutorials have you been looking at?

On YouTube, I recommend tutorial videos by Gopher and Gamer Poets.  A lot of their videos are made around Skyrim, but again, the principles and mechanics will be the same and you'll set up your stuff the same way.

It also sounds like you need to download and use Bodyslide if you haven't already, and run that to make some of your outfits fit better.

I think I've looked at some of Gopher's videos, but one YouTuber's tutorials I was looking at was about as old as CBBE, Bodyslide and Outfit Studio for FO4 are. Because whenever I open the Bodyslide/Outfit Studio, it's definitely not the same and also not loading my outfits/character model/preset(s). Even though I do have Bodyslide, maybe I'm using it wrong...... Like I said I do just need help, and badly..... I suck at this.

Well if the outfits and mods are not showing up in the game its the 

Fallout4.ini

Again pretty sure all new installations need to have the ArchieveInvalidation changed to read 1 instead of default which is 0,

Without that 1 tweak your stopped dead in your tracks as far as adding mods, Bethesada games have been doing that for years.

I have no idea if Vortex uses seperate INI files for Profiles.

MO2 does have profiles.

Might be easier to just go snag this third party app over here though,

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/67

This is an app that does not have to be installed specifically to a directory, useful to set up the INI files with easy prompts and I think it tells you what each tweak does.

Mostly we want to figure out if you have ArchieveInvalidation set up properly after that mods should start appearing in the game.

Then well its a matter of setting them up properly.

Best figure out the INI thing first.

Do not install this file as a mod, its not a mod its an app.

Just normal download it to your downloads folder and pick a good spot for it on a Drive path.

Then run it.

1 hour ago, Gameplayer said:

Well if the outfits and mods are not showing up in the game its the 

Fallout4.ini

Everything is showing up except for some other mods like magazine mods, wall art, and smaller things. As for the Textures/Meshes clipping into the character, and not being able to load them into Bodyslide so I can modify and fit to my model correctly. That's probably because I'm new at this and have NO IDEA what I'm doing. So I could have screwed something up while doing ANY number of things. As for Vortex and the whole Fallout4.ini I'm like %99 sure Vortex takes care of it. Cause I can add mods and they work and what not. But it's just some of them/some features not working as intended. IDK if it's a conflict with other mods and Vortex is not catching it, or two mods are altering the same thing in the game, so in the end nothing is getting altered. I really do not know.

I use Mod Organizer 2 myself, so not sure if this will apply to you, but...

To use Bodyslide with MO2, I have to set it up so that Bodyslide launches from within MO2.  It has to be set up to add any executables to launch from MO2, so the same applies to FNIS, FO4Edit, Wrye, etc.  When you know how to do it, it doesn't take more than a minute to set it up properly, and it's something I learned from watching an older Gopher video that was still using Mod Organizer 1.

If I just launched Bodyslide from my desktop, it would open, but not detect any of the clothing mods that I had installed with MO2.

I don't know if Vortex works the same way or not, but it's something I would check on if outfits aren't showing up for you.

PS:  You wondered whether or not you should switch from Vortex to MO2 - if I were you I wouldn't unless you're really unhappy with Vortex.  Either one of those two mod managers should be more than sufficient for most users.  I use MO2 now because I used MO1 before there ever was a Vortex, so for me it was a natural progression and I'm very happy with it, but plenty of people use Vortex to great effect.

The good thing about all this learning process is you only have to do it once for all of these Bethesda games.  We've all been through it.