Could use help with Animating

darkevilhum

Hey guys, I just recently started trying my hand at proper animation for skyrim in 3DSmax. Following a tutorial I managed to do everything correctly aside from having this strange issue.

The problem: Quite simply, in game the fteet bones do not animate (the animation i'm working on atm is the sneak idle).

If you look at the pictures, p1 is how it's meant to look, p2 is how it looks in game. I've been trying to fix it for a while now but I have a feeling it's the game at fault rather than my animation?

As when I am sneaking, if I jump, as the jump animation ends and sort of 'transforms' back to the sneak animation, I see the feet actually position/rotate the way they should do according to the animation. But then once it's all stationary they snap out of position into the unaltered default position.

Very confused, any help appreciated :D.

Thanks Gregathit, I've attached the .max file, had trouble exporting it as anything else that would load successfully.

post-36340-0-31406300-1372989395_thumb.png

post-36340-0-59583800-1372989407_thumb.png

Crawl15MaxFile.zip

I recommend you post the animation file if you want folks to help.  Just throw the thing in a 7zip file and add it to your OP.  It is pretty much impossible to do anything but guess without seeing the keyframe information that is in the file itself.

Still at a stand still with this :( If anyone could find the time to give me a hand or even a quick skim of the screenshots to give me an opinion as to what would 'usually' be at fault for something like this?

(I'm genuinely totally new to animating/3ds animating etc) not much experience in other words.

Still at a stand still with this :( If anyone could find the time to give me a hand or even a quick skim of the screenshots to give me an opinion as to what would 'usually' be at fault for something like this?

(I'm genuinely totally new to animating/3ds animating etc) not much experience in other words.

If you are not experienced, might I suggest you watch more tutorials and such? Also I think another way to catch on easily, is by trying to replicate animations, that way you can figure the process and such.

Frankly I doubt anyone can help you at the moment, given that most are busy with their own animations and projects, but who knows? Good luck!

I have yet to indulge myself with FNIS as it all looks a bit daunting but I will in time. Curiously, I loaded the all fours animation from nexus and re-exported it the way I know how, it worked perfectly in game.

Following this I made edits to the foot/toe bones in the very first key and cleared the other keys for said bones. When exporting this there was no change to the animation in game :s other than the feet were no longer in the position of the original nexus animation nor the way I placed them, but rather in this 'half way' default position just floating there un-altered.

Perhaps, though from reading into FNIS, I think it's far too early, I'm not creating mods or anything yet, just practicing animation via simple idle replaces atm. Through todays experimenting I've deduced that there is genuinely something in-game related to the problem.

Simply put, my foot and toe bones will not display as instructed by the animation file in game, whilst everything else works, could this be a behaviour file issue/ conflict of some kind? (Not that I'm doing anything to/with behaviour files, but I do have many mods installed).

That's the thing! FNIS is pretty much the only way to add new animations to the game.

I'm replacing the vanilla sneak animation (idle atm) though, not adding anything new, pretty much exactly the same way the mod you linked is doing it. That's not using FNIS right?

That's the thing! FNIS is pretty much the only way to add new animations to the game.

I'm replacing the vanilla sneak animation (idle atm) though, not adding anything new, pretty much exactly the same way the mod you linked is doing it. That's not using FNIS right?

No, that's not FNIS. Although I'm planning to add variants for walking, running, sneaking sooner or later. Probably later.

What you see is IK, Inverse Kinematics. In Skyrim this makes the feet follow some specific skeleton and path algorithms rather than what's implemented in the animation. To make movement look more natural and surrounding dependent. Although I always had my doubts.

IK is something you can apply with 3DS. But I don't know if this is the case, cause in the behavior files I have also seen many references to IK, but I have never tried to understand. You can try this out by using your sneak like an idle. Replace mt_idle with your file. It will not move, but at least it will show you if the IK is part of the animation, or is induced by the behavior parameters. Although darkangle's mod implies that it i possible to avoid. 

EDIT: no, I think the difference between your animation and the other one simply is that the other one's feet are on the ground = IK compatible. And yours are not.

No, that's not FNIS. Although I'm planning to add variants for walking, running, sneaking sooner or later. Probably later.

What you see is IK, Inverse Kinematics. In Skyrim this makes the feet follow some specific skeleton and path algorithms rather than what's implemented in the animation. To make movement look more natural and surrounding dependent. Although I always had my doubts.

IK is something you can apply with 3DS. But I don't know if this is the case, cause in the behavior files I have also seen many references to IK, but I have never tried to understand. You can try this out by using your sneak like an idle. Replace mt_idle with your file. It will not move, but at least it will show you if the IK is part of the animation, or is induced by the behavior parameters. Although darkangle's mod implies that it i possible to avoid. 

EDIT: no, I think the difference between your animation and the other one simply is that the other one's feet are on the ground = IK compatible. And yours are not.

Thanks greatly for your time and insight fore! I had replaced my standing idle with my file and noticed no change. Which would suggest ?, I'm not entirely sure as to what the difference is here.

As a side point, in the other crawling animation, while the foot bones don't seem to be animated (much), the toe bones are animated and work correctly in game unlike with mine. So it's must be possible to some degree, if it's this IK mechanic then is it because the position I'm attempting to achieve is too extreme/ not on the ground?

(Going to go research IK now)

No prob. It's always very interestin for myself, when fellow modders make research and find new facts.  :)

I have overstated the fact that there are "many" IK references in behaviors. It is for creatures, where I currently work. There is not much for characters. But there are 2 boolean behavior variables which look promising:

bHumanoidFootIKEnable

bHumanoidFootIKDisable

Try setting then in a script before you sneak.

That the feet problems disappear in a standing idle suggests that the IK is switched on and off during locomotion only. And yes I think, the problem is because your animation's feet are so much above the ground.

Hey guys, I just recently started trying my hand at proper animation for skyrim in 3DSmax. Following a tutorial I managed to do everything correctly aside from having this strange issue.

The problem: Quite simply, in game the fteet bones do not animate (the animation i'm working on atm is the sneak idle).

If you look at the pictures, p1 is how it's meant to look, p2 is how it looks in game. I've been trying to fix it for a while now but I have a feeling it's the game at fault rather than my animation?

As when I am sneaking, if I jump, as the jump animation ends and sort of 'transforms' back to the sneak animation, I see the feet actually position/rotate the way they should do according to the animation. But then once it's all stationary they snap out of position into the unaltered default position.

Very confused, any help appreciated :D.

Thanks Gregathit, I've attached the .max file, had trouble exporting it as anything else that would load successfully.

Hey there!

One thing I can recommend is using an IK Hi Solver (from the Animations drop down menu) to bind the feet to another bone so they don't move unless you want the feet to move. Experiment with different parent/child points on the foot and toe bones and eventually you'll find what you're looking for!

Good luck! Let me know if you want some outside help and I'll see what I can do! :)

Archived