Any Windows 11, 10, or 7 users out there? Please test this.

I need someone running Windows 10 (or Windows 7) to test something for me (link at end of post.) Another Windows 11 user (other than myself) might help confirm the bug.

User RidSol found an old "H4M to H5M" object converter that converts old Hook4 objects into Hook5 objects... supposedly. It works fine for him on his Win10 computer. It does not work on my Win11 computer (it runs, but the resulting files don't load.) I compared two of his files to two of mine and the headers are different. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is Windows 11 or just my computer.

I tried running the program under Windows 7 on a "Virtual Machine", but it balked on the "virtual graphics driver."

I tried running the program on a tablet running 32bit Win10 and the app CHANGED (the button to load a Hook4 object was replaced):

(Win11 - button is there.)
h4m_button-Win11.jpg.818967e608b8cd07bf9e90412fb9f981.jpg

(Windows 10, the Load button is replaced with a "Save H4M" button.) ?

h4m_button-Win10.jpg.7b7d21956b3fdc5ffdba28ee5f693312.jpg

Video of the problem in action: First, a room using RidSol's converted objects loads just fine. Then I replace his objects with mine (converted using the linked app) and the objects refuse to load.

To confirm, I tried loading another H4M object into the utility (video), saved it as an H5M file, then tried to load it into a different H5M utility and it fails to load the converted object.

You can download the two utilities with sample files (and instructions on testing the bug) here.

Any help/feedback appreciated.

Edited by OysterMug
2 hours ago, OysterMug said:

A little more info please. What version of Windows are you using?

21 hours ago, OysterMug said:

I need someone running Windows 10 (or Windows 7) to test something for me (link at end of post.) Another Windows 11 user (other than myself) might help confirm the bug.

User RidSol found an old "H4M to H5M" object converter that converts old Hook4 objects into Hook5 objects... supposedly. It works fine for him on his Win10 computer. It does not work on my Win11 computer (it runs, but the resulting files don't load.) I compared two of his files to two of mine and the headers are different. I'm trying to figure out if the problem is Windows 11 or just my computer.

I tried running the program under Windows 7 on a "Virtual Machine", but it balked on the "virtual graphics driver."

I tried running the program on a tablet running 32bit Win10 and the app CHANGED (the button to load a Hook4 object was replaced):

(Win11 - button is there.)
h4m_button-Win11.jpg.818967e608b8cd07bf9e90412fb9f981.jpg

(Windows 10, the Load button is replaced with a "Save H4M" button.) ?

h4m_button-Win10.jpg.7b7d21956b3fdc5ffdba28ee5f693312.jpg

Video of the problem in action: First, a room using RidSol's converted objects loads just fine. Then I replace his objects with mine (converted using the linked app) and the objects refuse to load.

To confirm, I tried loading another H4M object into the utility (video), saved it as an H5M file, then tried to load it into a different H5M utility and it fails to load the converted object.

You can download the two utilities with sample files (and instructions on testing the bug) here.

Any help/feedback appreciated.

I tried the apps that you provided and I get the same thing as you. The "Load H4m File" is replaced with "Save H4m File".

I am running  Windows 10 Pro version 21H2.

However, I've attached the utility that I use to convert h4m to h5m. It has never failed to generate a functioning h5m in Win 10 for me (as long as the textures are in the same folder as the h5m).

It is named "obj2h5m.exe", but when you run it, the title bar still shows "obj2h4m". It is the exact same as the image that you labeled "(Win11 - button is there.)".

Give it a try and see if it works for you as well.

Let me know.

H4mToH5m.zip

Edited by ITIB

Fascinating. And thank you!

Yesterday I had only one copy of that app. Today I have 3 (and only your copy works.)

The first version I got from RidSol has a creation date of "2017", and when I try to save a converted H4M object, it prompts you to save it with the ".h4m" extension. RidSol suggested I name my files ending in ".h4m.h5m", but naturally that had no effect. Converted files do not appear.

Remembering I created H4M objects myself years ago, I found my own copy of the app in my archives dated "2015"... so naturally it's too old to have a "Save to h5m" option.

Your copy is dated "2016" (right in between), and it properly prompts you to save converted files with the ".h5m" extension.

And best of all, the damn thing works! Hang on to that copy. It's gold (I suggest uploading it to "tools".)

Thx.

• 9 months later...