Some Questions About USSEP...

The first one being, how necessary is it?

Is the Skyrim SE 1.5.97 going to run into something game breaking without it?

What kind of save bloat am I looking at if I don't use it? My understanding is many of the changes made are designed to prevent it.

I know there are a few quests it tries to fix in regard to certain NPCs not being setup correctly, but how important are the some of the other changes made to NPCs? I get the dead body clean up scripts, I suppose, but things like appearance changes don't seem to be something that need to be there. The list of NPC changes is rather extensive and my reason for looking at them was to check the compatibility of an NPC hair replacer mod that I intend to use, so I'm wondering how much time I want spend messing with it to get it jiving with USSEP. Or if I even want all the changes USSEP is making to them for that matter. I'm not certain how much is the author's personal preference, and how much is actually fixing something. Like, what's the reason for changing QNAM Texture Lighting values?

Just comparing the new version of USSEP from say the one I used back when I first started playing Skyrim, it just seems to be changing a lot of things that aren't actually broken. I guess my preference would be something lighter, that just fixes broken quests that might wreck a playthrough. 

I'm curious what people think or if there people out there that don't use it and are fine with the game without it.

Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, TheWilloughbian said:

many mods require it so you would limit yourself quite a bit. But game breaking.. Not really, vanilla skyrim doesn't break without it either, it's not a magical tool that holds the whole game together.

Some people i've read even criticize some changes it makes and in some aspects i understand and agree with them.

10 minutes ago, TheWilloughbian said:

it just seems to be changing a lot of things that aren't actually broken

That's the critic i wrote about. I don't understand that part either..

Edited by Gukahn

I've never used the USSEP. Don't know why, but everytime I started a new game with the patch installed, the game acted up weirdly. So I just copied over the changes I wanted to a new plugin and never looked back at USSEP.

I do have quite a few mods that would require the unofficial patch. I've created a dummy plugin to remove the USSEP requirement from those mods.

sssesesesesesesesesesepppppppppppppppppppppp

is 30% bugfix , and yes SE and AE are chock the fuck full of bugs and anyone whom says they aren't are an idiot and should be ignored on any and all occasions

and

70% I am the loremaster and the only loreist of lorelist lore lore lore lreo mememe me me me me mine me me my me

17 minutes ago, Gukahn said:

many mods require it so you would limit yourself quite a bit. But game breaking.. Not really, vanilla skyrim doesn't break without it either, it's not a magical tool that holds the whole game together.

Some people i've read even criticize some changes it makes and in some aspects i understand and agree with them.

That's what the critic i wrote about. I don't understand that part either..

Thanks for the response. That's something I have been noticing as get more off a handle on the current state of things, is this trend towards certain types of mods being more "comprehensive" rather than "modular".

I'll have to think about how much effort I want to put into digging though USSEP to see what all it does XD

14 minutes ago, Alessia Wellington said:

I've never used the USSEP. Don't know why, but everytime I started a new game with the patch installed, the game acted up weirdly. So I just copied over the changes I wanted to a new plugin and never looked back at USSEP.

I do have quite a few mods that would require the unofficial patch. I've created a dummy plugin to remove the USSEP requirement from those mods.

I've been thinking of doing much the same thing.

5 minutes ago, 27X said:

sssesesesesesesesesesepppppppppppppppppppppp

is 30% bugfix , and yes SE and AE are chock the fuck full of bugs and anyone whom says they aren't are an idiot and should be ignored on any and all occasions

and

70% I am the loremaster and the only loreist of lorelist lore lore lore lreo mememe me me me me mine me me my me

XD

That is sort of the impression I have been getting from what I have been reading on various boards. And yes, I know SSE is buggy as cheap motel which is why I am considering using USSEP.

I have usseep installed because a lot of mods have it as a requirement.

Yeah I'm sure it fixes a lotta stuff, but it'll also do stuff like, for example, that "Ebony blade" Its a unique a 2 handed sword that swings as fast as a 1 handed sword.

USSEEP will "fix" it by reducing the swing speed to bring it in line with all the other 2 handed swords.  (I don't remember if that's an actual change or not, but that's the sort of logic the creator of USSEEP has.)

31 minutes ago, venomr said:

I have usseep installed because a lot of mods have it as a requirement.

Yeah I'm sure it fixes a lotta stuff, but it'll also do stuff like, for example, that "Ebony blade" Its a unique a 2 handed sword that swings as fast as a 1 handed sword.

USSEEP will "fix" it by reducing the swing speed to bring it in line with all the other 2 handed swords.  (I don't remember if that's an actual change or not, but that's the sort of logic the creator of USSEEP has.)

Yeah. I've been going through it and finding all kinds of stuff like that.  I've just been stripping out all the stuff I don't feel the need for, like all the edits to armor chest pieces that make it so you can't wear an amulet at the same time. XD Trying to pare it down to just the stuff that actually fixes bugs.

• 1 month later...

You do not need USSEP. You can easily have a full play through without it. 

I have actually looked through (most of) the changes it makes. It does fix some quest bugs thay MAY happen. That is important to note, MAY happen, not always happens. Most of those are under very specific conditions too. 

Alessia has it right. Make a dummy plugin in for mods that require it. You can even download dummy plugins from Nexus to use for any mods requirements, just rename it. USSEP is not like SKSE, it is not an enabling mod - it does not add functionality to the game. It edits some of what is already there. 

Also, if you have alot of mods, as I do, alot of what USSEP does gets overwritten anyhow. 

And yes all mods should be of a modular approach. The problem with USSEP and Arthmoor is: you got a control freak that probably aint got much else going on in life that found himself in a small position of power. So he made USSEP into this giant mostly unecessary all encompassing "Patch" that does not always play well with others. 

The Quest fixes can be fixed by you in CK and xEdit. You could use USSEP as a reference. Fact is, he got lots of help from other people and from Bethesda. In fact we're the people that tested USSEP for him over the years. They used to have to fix USSEP all the time. So don't feel bad about recreating some of the things that do actually make things run smoother. The amount of his fixes that he has taken out probably come close to what was put in. He's experimenting on a black box. 

There are alot of mods that fix or tweak some of the things USSEP does. There are awesome tools like xEdit and WryeBash that can fix and change things.

One last note, fuck that guy, he's such a dick. Go back and look at the comments form him years ago on the Nexus forums. I'm glad he wont be on Nexus anymore. 

Edited by foetus
On 3/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, TheWilloughbian said:

The first one being, how necessary is it?

Technically not necessary but you get what's coming to you if you run without it.

Most of the bad things come in the form of weird shit after 40 hours on a save.

So if you get in and play for a few hours then start over, you're probably OK. 

Pro tip: I'd run it anyway.

Sticking on 1.5.97  is OK if you already have USSEP downloaded.

Most mods going forward are going to be for 1.6x since mod authors are going to get sick of supporting 1.5.97 soon.

I know there are a few quests it tries to fix in regard to certain NPCs not being setup correctly, but how important are the some of the other changes made to NPCs? I get the dead body clean up scripts, I suppose, but things like appearance changes don't seem to be something that need to be there. The list of NPC changes is rather extensive and my reason for looking at them was to check the compatibility of an NPC hair replacer mod that I intend to use, so I'm wondering how much time I want spend messing with it to get it jiving with USSEP. Or if I even want all the changes USSEP is making to them for that matter. I'm not certain how much is the author's personal preference, and how much is actually fixing something. Like, what's the reason for changing QNAM Texture Lighting values?

There are about 30 authors so it isn't one person's opinion on what should be fixed. The Unofficial Patch Team is like a volunteer software development team.

Most of the bugs fixed are either game breaking, annoying (light flickering for example). or things that can prevent you from completing a play-through.

Just comparing the new version of USSEP from say the one I used back when I first started playing Skyrim, it just seems to be changing a lot of things that aren't actually broken. I guess my preference would be something lighter, that just fixes broken quests that might wreck a playthrough.

As I understand it, there are a lot of bug fixes that are backed out when Bethesda fixes bugs in the game itself. A lot of stuff was removed when AE was released because BGS finally fixed a few things.

Skyrim is a huge game and people are going to be finding bugs years from now just like they're still finding bugs in Oblivion.

I'm curious what people think or if there people out there that don't use it and are fine with the game without it.

Be VERY careful with what you read on Reddit and Nexusmods.  There's a lot of cringe-inducing stupid that gets spread around on modding subreddits in particular.

With that said, I'm not going to cast shade on anyone that doesn't want to run it, but find out if they can explain their reasons in technical terms or fall back to emotional reasons.