[mod] SxB PoV Redux

PoV Detail Poll  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Novakid PoV: Details should be...

• More gas-like, swirly insides, few sparkles if any overall.
    • Much more star-like, with inner-sparkles and speckles, and little-to-no swirling gas details.
  2. 2. Avian PoV: Male genital style should be...

• Human-like genitals, or at least a cylindrical, standard phallus.
    • Bird-like genitals, cloacal penis that extends from a slit that is both anus-and-penis.
  3. 3. Future PoV: Glitch support should have...

• Very serious, normal genitals, rigid movements to reflect their metal bodies.
    • Not very serious, genitals closer to USB ports and headphone jacks than reproductive organs.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/16/2022 at 02:33 AM

@red3dred, I noticed that for basically all artwork, actors are colored a default flesh tone - should sprites be colored that default color if we're developing addons for a custom species? Are there any other steps needed to ensure the sprites are displayed correctly?

Edit: After some testing looks like not coloring it flesh tone doesn't have any effect on the animation. However, now i'm curious if there's a way to programmatically change the color of the animation to match the player's chosen skin tone. I'd love to figure out how to make that happen. I'm not to well versed in the internals of how starbound ui works, but do you have any pointers in that direction?

Edited by BluByt3
grammer
10 hours ago, BluByt3 said:

I noticed that for basically all artwork, actors are colored a default flesh tone - should sprites be colored that default color if we're developing addons for custom species? Are there any other steps needed to ensure the sprites are displayed correctly?

Simply put, Sexbound uses the same "recolor" data that Starbound uses on the characters, and ports it over to animations. For animations to work, the colors in the body of the animated character must either match (For things that ARE recolored) so they can match the character's body colors in-game, or do not match for things that don't get recolored, like the tips of the human genitals, or Hylotl/Avian genitals.

Spoiler

RecolorExample.png.5a65f2592e59eafbac3412aa93873d4c.png

<Left is the default female human body sprite, and the right is the PoV female human body. They share the exact same colors.>

That's the only "requirement" for it to work properly. Also beware, that i've added a few spurts during Climax animation, and had to do a lot of tricks so they don't break the colors in the image.

Spoiler

image.png.c3fa97d0f2889b653e782eb4c43595c0.png

As shown, the above image uses transparencies to portray semen, but if said transparencies change the color of the skin-colored pixels, even by a bit, they won't recolor properly. So watch out for that when making use of the transparencies! You can always apply them to another layers that goes over the main body, so it recolors and still applies whatever transparency effect you wish, just don't use it on the same layer.

Edited by red3dred
Fix muh derps
3 hours ago, red3dred said:

Simply put, Sexbound uses the same "recolor" data that Starbound uses on the characters, and ports it over to animations. For animations to work, the colors in the body of the animated character must either match (For things that ARE recolored) so they can match the character's body colors in-game, or do not match for things that don't get recolored, like the tips of the human genitals, or Hylotl/Avian genitals.

I see, thanks for letting me know - I'll have to make sure to color my sprites accordingly. Is it possible to recolor animations to align with different player colors? E.G, using the hair color for certain parts of the sprite and using the skin for the rest.

Additionally, could you explain what this part of the spritesheet is? (Specifically the bundle of pixels in cell 0 on the spritesheet) It seems to have to do with color mapping, though not sure what I should do in my own spritesheet to make everything appear correctly.

genital.png.62649ef6fcfa9bfc767919fbdff07310.png body_penetration3.png.d2cff0e8a722a396a052429bb6c07015.png

48 minutes ago, BluByt3 said:

I see, thanks for letting me know - I'll have to make sure to color my sprites accordingly. Is it possible to recolor animations to align with different player colors? E.G, using the hair color for certain parts of the sprite and using the skin for the rest.

Additionally, could you explain what this part of the spritesheet is? (Specifically the bundle of pixels in cell 0 on the spritesheet) It seems to have to do with color mapping, though not sure what I should do in my own spritesheet to make everything appear correctly.

genital.png.62649ef6fcfa9bfc767919fbdff07310.png body_penetration3.png.d2cff0e8a722a396a052429bb6c07015.png

For question one, it depends on the race. Some races have the option enabled to apply hair-color to body as well, i don't know if Sexbound will use it by default if this option is not enabled, but they do have different rules.

For instance, Floran's alt hair-color is the bright red used in genitals, the "flower color", so in that case, the recolor works fine for example. In essence you should be able to use any and all recolor options the race has, with a few exceptions.

As for question two, those serve no purpose other than me having the colors handy to color-picker off of. The first frame of animations is not used, and is instead a guide frame in which usually people leave unused/handy assets and colors, and the name of the position used. For example, from the Sexbound animations:

Spoiler

image.png.cdd506a3a0bf7ca0a356a52e04de4945.png

13 minutes ago, red3dred said:

For question one, it depends on the race. Some races have the option enabled to apply hair-color to body as well, i don't know if Sexbound will use it by default if this option is not enabled, but they do have different rules.

For instance, Floran's alt hair-color is the bright red used in genitals, the "flower color", so in that case, the recolor works fine for example. In essence you should be able to use any and all recolor options the race has, with a few exceptions.

I see - I'll see if I can find out what the recolor options are for the race. Thanks for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

So is it possible to add more frames to the animations?

I've dabbled around with setting up animated orgasm scenes but despite how much I finagle around with the frames file I cannot get it to register the added frames, even after adjusting canvas size, the values for "dimensions" and adding the respective frames to the "names" section.

I've also run into a strange anomaly where it appears that the frames for facesitting and reverse cowgirl, which should fall under position5 and position8 respectively, are both mapped to the same row of frames, which is technically the ninth row in the sprite sheet, but on the frames file it's listed as position4_1.

Edited by ActualDonglord
6 hours ago, ActualDonglord said:

I've dabbled around with setting up animated orgasm scenes but despite how much I finagle around with the frames file I cannot get it to register the added frames, even after adjusting canvas size, the values for "dimensions" and adding the respective frames to the "names" section.

I've also run into a strange anomaly where it appears that the frames for facesitting and reverse cowgirl, which should fall under position5 and position8 respectively, are both mapped to the same row of frames, which is technically the ninth row in the sprite sheet, but on the frames file it's listed as position4_1.

Well, if Terato-Cutscenes has done it, i don't see why it wouldn't be possible for Humanoids.

Though beware that other frames files from other mods may interfere, if you are modding within a open environment (With lots of other mods)

On 6/10/2022 at 6:39 AM, ActualDonglord said:

I'm not sure about more frames to animation themselves

As for cum - you need to map climax1-5. And.. I think there are some hardcoded things tbh because I didn't always receive the result I wanted. Maybe I missed something, but due to cutscenes less content nature I just overwritten unused poses instead of adding new sets of animation.

1 hour ago, TemtemLover said:

I'm not sure about more frames to animation themselves

As for cum - you need to map climax1-5. And.. I think there are some hardcoded things tbh because I didn't always receive the result I wanted. Maybe I missed something, but due to cutscenes less content nature I just overwritten unused poses instead of adding new sets of animation.

Yeah meant more so the climax part, my bad for missing that point.

On 6/10/2022 at 12:39 AM, ActualDonglord said:

As for adding more frames to animations, Locurutus really wanted to make it so the PoV files could have way more frames, but honestly, while that is a nice idea, translating a 5-frame loop into a 20-frame loop would be simple (animation speed * 4 for PoV) but less even numbers would lead to some chaos, but also, considering the PoV animations are by default, 3x the size of normal Sexbound, which already take plenty of work given our limitations and rules to follow, doing it for 4x the number of frames might allow for smoother animation, but also make up much more work and time, to produce something.

... my rant out of the way, it is in theory possible to change the amount of frames, i just would not recommend, as you will need to change several other pieces of code to allow it to work properly.

1 hour ago, ActualDonglord said:

Which does make me wonder, is it at all possible to make nodes animated? I know the frames file for it has idle.1 through idle.r but I've got no idea if sexbound's coding is actually capable of it.

Cindry, Fuchsia and more make use of animated nodes by replacing the frames of Sexbound animations during idle with a custom animation. It can be done for certain. Unless you mean something else entirely.

2 hours ago, Toran_Firesun said:

Have a Problem i have download the new Version of this mod but now if i play Avian or Human i have not any POV more idk why.I have not other POV mods in the last version there it works perfectly. May you can tell me why in this new version it not more works?

For one, i can take a look at the log to see why;

So, to better report issues, try providing a description of the issue and recreating the issue in-game, then providing a log file.

To find the log file, it should be within your Starbound installation directory, then the storage folder. You should see a text file named starbound.log (Or simply starbound, a plain text file). Paste it into your response as a attached file, or use PasteBin, whichever you prefer. Then users can look into your issues with the necessary information at hand.

<Just please don't post the whole thing as text here>

That, and i can also only surmize the reason it may not be working, despite the previous version working, is that either you've installed it differently, or a download corrupted. This mod hasn't received a update recently, so nothing changed there.

9 hours ago, red3dred said:

For one, i can take a look at the log to see why;

That, and i can also only surmize the reason it may not be working, despite the previous version working, is that either you've installed it differently, or a download corrupted. This mod hasn't received a update recently, so nothing changed there.

oh forgot theres only For Human,Floran and Novakid.....it was my fault it have not work cause i had played Apex xD sry my fault

On 4/14/2022 at 1:35 AM, red3dred said:

Nope, they've been removed because they WILL break a lot of future implementations of things such as Teratophilia, non-humanoid races, etc.

Basically, the hands have two problems;

1. Either they don't ever line up with alien-races (And there's no way to solve this one sadly).
  2. They swap between two images, the second image, i suppose was fingering the partner? But it does not care for gender nor does it line up, just ended up covering the animation most of the time.

If you have any suggestions on how to approach this, feel free to comment them.

@red3dred,I may have some idea to get away this annoy covering animation thing. ( If your case is what I imagined. )

1. Either they don't ever line up with alien-races (And there's no way to solve this one sadly).

Example : Lamia Race

Problem Lamia Race does not have legs ( or butt ). Left and Right hand asset will misalign with them.

Solution : Create a new data structure

Currently data structure : 

actor1 or actor2 \ species \ gender

Example - actor1\human\malefuta

New data structure :

actor1 or actor2 \ bodytype \ species \ gender

Example1 - actor1\humanoid\human\malefuta

Example2 - actor2\non-humanoid\lamia\cuntboy

Example3 - actor1\monster\gleap\male

And use different hands asset depend on what bodytype they have.

Disadvantage : Hugely increase amount of work of re-drawing hand assets.

2. They swap between two images, the second image, i suppose was fingering the partner? But it does not care for gender nor does it line up, just ended up covering the animation most of the time.

Problem ( If I understand it correctly. ) : There have four hand assets. hand_l_variant1, hand_l_variant2, hand_r_variant1, hand_r_variant2.

hand_l_variant2 & hand_r_variant2 may have a chance to misalign with other assets.

Solution : Just use hand_l_variant1 & hand_r_variant1 for now.

3. POV.lua code problem. ( If hand assets are included in the layer. ) ( If hand assets are removed, you will not encounter the following problems. )

Problem : If you use this POV.lua that already included in this mod. That will 100% cannot display tail ( or wing? ) correctly.

( see 9_Layer.jpg vs 10_Layer.jpg )

I suggest the code that you write in POV.lua should be 10_Layer_Code.jpg.

self.parts.actor2BodyOverlay:render(self.canvas, frame) = self.parts.actor2Back:render(self.canvas, frame) = tail or wing layer )

Spoiler

9_Layer_Code.jpg ( Your POV.lua code ( with hand abled ) )

9_Layer_Code.jpg

10_Layer_Code.jpg

10_Layer_Code.jpg

Spoiler

9_Layer.jpg ( Hands covering animation )

9_Layer.jpg

10_Layer.jpg ( Hands not covering animation )

10_Layer.jpg

Conclusion : Hand assets can be added to the layer. But with a cost of hugely increase of work . It's up to you to add the hands or not.

Edited by SeriousGameTester
3 hours ago, SeriousGameTester said:

@red3dred,I may have some idea to get away this annoy covering animation thing. ( If your case is what I imagined. )

2. They swap between two images, the second image, i suppose was fingering the partner? But it does not care for gender nor does it line up, just ended up covering the animation most of the time

Conclusion : Hand assets can be added to the layer. But with a cost of hugely increase of work . It's up to you to add the hands or not.

About the structure, i was at first going to change it, so the PoV path did take into account humanoid/non-humanoid PoVs separately (EG: Playable Poptop race uses the same in-game name, code-wise, as a poptop [monster]. By the current standard, both share the same PoV), but i've been told by Locuturus to not do it, and follow the existing standard for compatibility sake.

About the work, yeah it's a bit extra nuisance. Not too much though. It's just something that would add two, if not more, layers to an animation, and for little effect. I'm not too bothered by it, but for the sake of the animation, i'd rather not have them.

As for the "tail" layer, what do you mean it cannot display properly? the back layer is not listed in that shown snippet of code, the lower it is on the list, the higher it is on top of the drawing (So bodyOverlay2 would be over almost everything).

Edited by red3dred
36 minutes ago, red3dred said:

As for the "tail" layer, what do you mean it cannot display properly? the back layer is not listed in that shown snippet of code, the lower it is on the list, the higher it is on top of the drawing (So bodyOverlay2 would be over almost everything).

What I mean is that the "hand" layer ( 6,7 layer ) will cover the "tail" layer ( 5 layer ) If the tail part added in no.5 layer.

And this situation will make the whole animation "looking bad and weird" in my opinion.

Anyway, hands will not be added in the future, so it will not affect the tail part.

Briefly speaking, please ignore the code part because I am not a professional programmer.

Edit : And professional artists.

Edited by SeriousGameTester
7 hours ago, rowbee456 said:

Just wondering, will we ever see penguin or shadow support? I can imagine the latter being a lot easier than the former... but it would be awesome to see either nonetheless!

Modded race supports would either have to be provided by other interested modders, or be requested after we go through the Vanilla races (Vanilla Cream support for PoV will come after this mod is "done")

Hey, hate to be a bother again, but I'm trying my damnedest to get the pov scenes to map right, as the scenes for facesitting and reverse cowgirl still map to the same set of sprites. Is it anything I need to dig through the main sexbound files for or would it be contained in the pov folder?

55 minutes ago, ActualDonglord said:

Hey, hate to be a bother again, but I'm trying my damnedest to get the pov scenes to map right, as the scenes for facesitting and reverse cowgirl still map to the same set of sprites. Is it anything I need to dig through the main sexbound files for or would it be contained in the pov folder?

I'm pretty sure those are already mapped in the animation's frames, just not used, since they are outside the sheet.
default.frames file:
image.png.428d60a55a79f48bcd242cd2b04463ef.png

As for why they may not be called correctly by the PoV animations, they use the same frame-name used for Sexbound animations, so that maybe why. I saw Locuturus commenting on this being possible (Assigning recycled position names to PoV) but i've not had any luck getting it to work personally. I can look into it if you want to get artwork for these positions made, if the vanilla PoV code allows for it, it shouldn't take much work to try and port it forward to this mod, but i'm currently waiting on the progress report from TemTemLover and company about the latest Cutscene expansion.

For those unaware, TeratoCutscenes plays a separate, single-layer animation for monsters that wouldn't fit the standard PoV. Well, now they can have an infinite number of frames setup for each animation, control their speed, whether they should or not, etc. I won't speak of the other features TemTemLover is working on since i don't know what they're up to, but there's even more on that front.

I'm actually, sort of, making artwork for it myself, I just found it odd that two separate positions were using the same pov sprites. I did manage to get most of the extra pov scenes to map properly by taking the sheet into asesprite and then expanding it until the sprites fell into the designated parameters, which got everything for positions 1 through 8 to show up for actors 1 and 2.

42 minutes ago, Laz44 said:

I'm curious about this because it's in the files when you look, is there a way to see the hands when using pov or is it something yet to be added like the original pov had?

You can simply un-comment the related lines, and it should still work. Just not something i found adds to the animations, and will look odd when dealing with non-standard animations, like the ones added by the mod.

• 3 weeks later...