Anniversary Edition

Cheers guys

I'm having a question regarding the update - since I'm still on pre-anniversary version, I wanted to know if it's safe to upgrade by now when having a certain amount of mods from various sources - mostly from Nexus though. 

I pastebin'd my modlist just in case some of you want to scroll through it real quick and see if there are some major problems with the update and a certain mod. Not asking you to specifically look for every single one of them. I just want an overall opinion to that matter since I want to update only once it's assured I can still use my modlist as it is.

https://pastebin.com/nVhPmKz4

To call AE an "update" is an insult to actual meaningful updates to games(massive bug fixes, content,etc.), just call it a final cash grab before Starfield and ESVI and above all DON'T reward Fraudd Coward or Liar and Savior Pete Hines by taking the "free" "update" or spending $20 for the "upgrade"

I'll be sticking with 1.5.97 until it literally stops working or Steam somehow defeats our tricks to avoid forced updated(setting files to read-only, etc.)

Of course it's your money and choice but I'd beg you to not validate anti-consumer behavior, such as paying for re-re-releases of the same product(Skyrim LE then SE then AE) or one that's similar (think 1080 Ti then 2080 and Super or 9900K then KS then 10700K)

And keep in mind that authors can and often do retire from modding and unless they leave open permission or source code(for SKSE plugins) there's no way to guarantee your mod will get updated when the game gets updated, all you can do is hope for an alternative to come out

Rambling over, enjoy your afternoon

Thanks you two for your input! I think that made stuff perfectly clear.

17 hours ago, Robbed Algorithm said:

Of course it's your money and choice but I'd beg you to not validate anti-consumer behavior, such as paying for re-re-releases of the same product

I got it for free lmao but yea, I would never buy it. I'm with you there.

I got AE'd in spite of blocking updates on steam and having the backups in place. I tried a rollback solution but it left me in a state where SE would crash without starting. So I ended up biting the bullet and just dealing with the free 'upgrade'. I'm not running a leavy load order atm. The biggest mod I miss is Improved Camera. PC Head Tracking and Voice Type doesnt work for me...crashes on game load, haven't figured that out yet, your mileage may vary. I found a replacement for AddItemMenu.  NPC lookup hasn't updated yet, miss that one too. Flower girls seems to work well enough, and SMP physics and CBBE 3BBA (although I stayed with 3BA 2.06 and an earlier CBPC version which runs jitter free, everything after that always seemed to be spastic or jittery). Latest 'Faster HDT-SMP' in particular behaving fine.

Sorry for rambling, just wanted to point out that if you do get AE'd and can't get the rollback to work all is not completely lost, but there will be some mods that will have to drop out of the load. The big worry then becomes how much more gets lost if they really pork us with an update a month...

On 1/28/2022 at 2:31 AM, LordArek said:

Cheers guys

I'm having a question regarding the update - since I'm still on pre-anniversary version, I wanted to know if it's safe to upgrade by now when having a certain amount of mods from various sources - mostly from Nexus though. 

I pastebin'd my modlist just in case some of you want to scroll through it real quick and see if there are some major problems with the update and a certain mod. Not asking you to specifically look for every single one of them. I just want an overall opinion to that matter since I want to update only once it's assured I can still use my modlist as it is.

https://pastebin.com/nVhPmKz4

My bet is even though there are already many mods which can work with current AE runtime and skse,

sooner or later,  untill bedetha stop to up-date AE,, you must see problem.

on the other hand, if you just keep to use SE 1.5.97  and SKSE 2.0.20  those 2 never change..

at same time,, (though it depend modder),   many modder still try to up-date their mod for SE1.5.97, or 2.0.20  (I really thanks for those mod author, who keep to up-date their mod for pre AE run-time version.)

Of course there are mod author who never support old version (they call so).. any more.. so only AE version have new smart option, but not for pre AE version.

or some modder remove link to the file which offered for SE..  (it is not complain, but I really do not know reason,, why they decide so)

My decision is,,, I keep to use pre AE version. and keep buck up.. for each mod package.. (I actually have trouble, when I need to re-download some key mods, they remove link or pakcage for SE 1.5.97)  untill bedetha release Tess new version.  (maybe 2 years later? )

after that AE stop to up-date I believe.

Edited by greenmango12

Thanks for making this thread, OP. Ive scoured nexus and reddit but I couldnt get a straight answer. Just assholes telling me to read but I still didnt understand.

Now that I know whats going on, I need to figure out how to downgrade (Im on 1.6 SSE). I didnt know this was happening and let my SSE update. I've been playing LE for forever and Im getting into SSE for the first time so this whole update situation fucking confuses me.

Im currently following the beginner guides but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I would add that Im not sure how reverting to the SE version will handle with mods but Im sure theres a thread about that somewhere...

Edited by Heppai

Six of one, half dozen of another.  I've got a few thousand hours in Skyrim and had 20 USD available, so I figured I'd give it a shot and try out all the CC content for some fresh shit to do that I haven't done before.  Is it corporate greed making a money grab?  Absolutely, but so is everything else in life these days.  Sure I was pissed when I saw it and pissed that it broke my fucking game and load order (i was a dummy and didn't turn off auto updates in steam for skyrim), but whatever.  I like a challenge and figured if it sucks I'll just roll back to pre AE.

Looking at your modlist, I see a good handful on there that I'm running now and haven't had issues with (SOS, Sky UI, Race Menu, Sexlab, all of EnaiSaison's mods (andromeda, Apocalypse, Ordinator, etc.) zaz, ELFX, Obsidian Weathers, True Storms, UIExtensions, the hair mods, Bijin's mods, Heljarchen Farm, CACO Lazy Heels, and Alternate start) along with some I'm using but haven't really interacted with enough to know if there's an issue (Helgen Reborn, Inigo, Unique Uniques stand out).  Personally, I think once the major things are updated, it'll be a lot smoother and less of an issue than some people may indicated.  Weapon and armor mods seem to all work just fine for me. 

Not that you asked, but most of my more lewd mods work, too.  Though I did tone it down on this AE trial.  Whorecraft is the only mod I'm currently using that only half works - the mod itself seems to be functional, but since .Net Script Framework does NOT work for AE and neither does the DLL Plugin Loader it relies upon, parts of whorecraft don't work either.  Ecotone's Dual Sheath gave me some trouble, as did Sexlab Survival, but the most recent update to JC Container's fixed those.  SLIF seemed to stroke out there for a while, too, but hopefully I've got that sorted...

It's your choice.I stayed up almost all night dealing with no you need this library or that SkSE or whatever.Nothing against the SKSE team but I think they have made things worse with those lets admit those annoying little messages. 

Beth could always decide to send another update or unfortunate anniversary gift down the road and break it all over again.

So I am deleting all my SSE stuff and uninstalling it .I won't go back to it.

I will get oldrim and Fallout 4 going and thats it for me until starfield.

Beth screwed the pooch as far as I am concerned.

Good luck with whatever decision you maker but be aware you might find it very frustrating. Like I have.

On 1/27/2022 at 9:37 AM, Gukahn said:

Without looking at your modlist i can say with all my heart and completely bare of prejudice..

Avoid AE like the plaque

The sheer amount of Support Question that come in every day could be cut in half if AE wasn't a thing.

Well, i finally "upgraded" and the things i am using are working.  But you are right. It absolutely depends on the mods one is using. What works for me may not work for you.

Btw. its windy.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:13 AM, jclyde6108 said:

I got AE'd in spite of blocking updates on steam and having the backups in place. I tried a rollback solution but it left me in a state where SE would crash without starting. So I ended up biting the bullet and just dealing with the free 'upgrade'. I'm not running a leavy load order atm. The biggest mod I miss is Improved Camera. PC Head Tracking and Voice Type doesnt work for me...crashes on game load, haven't figured that out yet, your mileage may vary. I found a replacement for AddItemMenu.  NPC lookup hasn't updated yet, miss that one too. Flower girls seems to work well enough, and SMP physics and CBBE 3BBA (although I stayed with 3BA 2.06 and an earlier CBPC version which runs jitter free, everything after that always seemed to be spastic or jittery). Latest 'Faster HDT-SMP' in particular behaving fine.

Sorry for rambling, just wanted to point out that if you do get AE'd and can't get the rollback to work all is not completely lost, but there will be some mods that will have to drop out of the load. The big worry then becomes how much more gets lost if they really pork us with an update a month...

Kind of funny, this happened to me. Stranger things are happening. Curses probably. Because no matter what i copied back over, i got CDT all day long. Same conclusion. F*** iT. My luck, the mods i am using are working.

14 minutes ago, supercaca said:

What a mess they made adding all the official mods as a default in this AE.

It wasn't adding in the CC mods that broke everything. It was the fact that they also released a bugfix to the game, which meant that it's a new version, which broke all the DLL based mods, just the same as it used to do when they released bugfixes to SSE back in the olden days after it's release. It seems like such a big deal now because they hadn't bothered with an update for something like 2 years, so everyone had got used to it being so stable.

The only thing that made this any different at all to previous bugfix releases is that they also updated the toolchain that they use to compile the game, which meant that the underlying stuctures in the game's libraries are very different, which made some of the old techniques people used for hooking into them no longer valid. This is why the .NET framework has not been released yet - it will essentially need to be rewritten, not just recompiled.

And before anyone asks why they did this... There are massive advantages to the new toolchain's optimiser - this is why the Papyrus VM inside the game runs literally an order of magnitude faster than it used to, which is why all the scripts that drive all the mods on this site now run much faster, much smooter, and with fewer weird glitches due to overloading.

So yeah, the 1.6.x update to the executable was a free update that fixed bugs, enhanced performance, and made the users complain anyway. Sometimes devs just can't win.

On 2/7/2022 at 4:43 AM, 3reaker said:

So yeah, the 1.6.x update to the executable was a free update that fixed bugs, enhanced performance, and made the users complain anyway. Sometimes devs just can't win.

To be fair, they could have removed every bug dating back to Skyrim Classic's release but because it broke the mods, they'd have complained. Tis the nature of the beast.

More on topic, in my experience the only real big losses was stuff linked to .Net Framework, so no first-person view, no Ultimate Dragons, no AddItemMenu, and other smaller things. With that said, I've had decent success with a non-lewd setup, was even able to get Legacy of the Dragonborn in with little hangup. There is a few mods where the AE patch is hosted offsite due to beta reasons but in such cases where you think it's a scripting issue, mod managers like ModOrginizer2 will be able to tell you what mods you have contain .dll files and you can start the troubleshooting process from there.

On 1/27/2022 at 10:23 AM, Robbed Algorithm said:

To call AE an "update" is an insult to actual meaningful updates to games(massive bug fixes, content,etc.), just call it a final cash grab before Starfield and ESVI and above all DON'T reward Fraudd Coward or Liar and Savior Pete Hines by taking the "free" "update" or spending $20 for the "upgrade"

I'll be sticking with 1.5.97 until it literally stops working or Steam somehow defeats our tricks to avoid forced updated(setting files to read-only, etc.)

Of course it's your money and choice but I'd beg you to not validate anti-consumer behavior, such as paying for re-re-releases of the same product(Skyrim LE then SE then AE) or one that's similar (think 1080 Ti then 2080 and Super or 9900K then KS then 10700K)

And keep in mind that authors can and often do retire from modding and unless they leave open permission or source code(for SKSE plugins) there's no way to guarantee your mod will get updated when the game gets updated, all you can do is hope for an alternative to come out

Rambling over, enjoy your afternoon

Simply remove the Steam manifest file so it thinks the game is not installed and run from SKSE like normal. The manifest file will be located in \SteamLibrary\steamapps\ appmanifest_489830.acf this will 100% prevent it from ever getting updated by Steam until the file is restored. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 11:43 AM, Kelinas said:

To be fair, they could have removed every bug dating back to Skyrim Classic's release but because it broke the mods, they'd have complained. Tis the nature of the beast.

More on topic, in my experience the only real big losses was stuff linked to .Net Framework, so no first-person view, no Ultimate Dragons, no AddItemMenu, and other smaller things. 

One needs to be on the look out for 'close enough' alternatives such as QUI for AddItemMenu, Joy of Perspective - Anniversary Edition Compatibility Patch for first person mods or Archery Locational Damage for Locational Damage.