Healing Collar

View File

OVERVIEW - This is a single .ESP file that allows the player to construct a wearable collar that continuously heals the player, both with health as well as rid the player of radiation and even repairs limbs. There is even a bit of a 'hidden feature' of sorts concerning the collar but I'll leave that up to the player to discover.

The collar is not overpowered (at least, in my opinion; as always, everyone's individual tastes vary); My recommendation would be to not run into a violent situation in the hopes that the collar alone would save you from death. There are no scripts involved, for those who are sensitive about using mods that contain scripts. The mod does need the Nukaworld DLC along with the base game (obviously), but this should not be much of a detriment at this point since pretty much everyone has the "Game of the Year" edition anyway which automatically contains the Nukaworld DLC.

Installation is simple; It's merely a single .ESP file and it goes where all of the other .ESP files would go. Deletion is also simple, merely delete the file and you are done.

Constructing the collar requires that you find a chemistry station (the only place where the game allows you to build any such objects) and that you are in physical possession of the plans (they can not be in a trunk or otherwise not on your person at the time of construction). You will also, obviously, need all of the parts necessary to build the collar. In order to make the mod somewhat lore-friendly, the parts required to build the collar is somewhat extensive; Consider yourself warned.

The location of the plans is a bit spoiler-ish. Let's see if I can format this next part properly:

Spoiler

The plans are located in the house on the road between the Red Rocket gas station where you find the dog and the town of Concord. It is on the second floor in a suitcase.

For those who want a general hint at it's location, let's just say that, after starting the game, if you go past the Museum of Freedom, you've gone too far.

FUTURE PLANS - I may make the collar upgradable but I hate complicating anything beyond what is absolutely necessary. I may also turn the notes into a hologram tape (which would probably be more appropriate) but that is a minor concern in the overall scheme of the mod. As is, I think that this mod is a fun addition and allows the player to forego the hassle of stimpaks and rad-aways (at least for minor situations; The Glowing Sea will not be kind to you without additional safeguards) and other such potions should they so choose.

Enjoy.

Hi folks. Thank you for the kind comments so far.

I honestly do not want to leave anyone in suspense or putting themselves in any sort of situations that harms your characters or detracts from your game play to find the 'hidden feature.' Therefore, let me put this reveal in spoilers for those who want to know:

Spoiler

The hidden feature is that, when you crouch, the healing effect goes faster. Admittedly, not by much but the difference is noticeable.

I have looked into making the collar upgradeable, mainly due to the fact that the healing effect is a bit slight (although "overpowered" is in the eye of the beholder and you never know when where you are is suddenly "too far").

In other news, I have been developing another version of a homemade mod that I frequently use (again, to make it lore friendly) and those are a pair of goggles that nullifies the scope sway effect. I've never enjoyed the "holding my breath" gameplay mechanic and so I developed a mod to get rid of it. Granted, the specific mod that I made for myself is a bit overpowered with other "magical" effects attached to it completely unrelated to a pair of goggles. However, I have been 'downsizing' my overpowered mods (I now use the healing collar placed here for all my new playthroughs and not my original, overpowered one that inspired the one here) and intend to switch over to this pair of stabilizing goggles as well.

Perhaps the only other invention on the (distant) horizon is another type of collar, although it might also be an upgrade to the healing collar. I'm not trying to hide anything; Any progress has to do with time, effort and enthusiasm. However, I'm very glad for the warm reception for this mod (I never thought that it would gain the number of downloads that it already has) and it has inspired me to move forward with other mods and to possibly improve upon all of the other mods that I have made over time (when I was "Victor14" here).

Again, thanks to everyone for all of your comments so far.

3 hours ago, Victor15 said:

Hi folks. Thank you for the kind comments so far.

I honestly do not want to leave anyone in suspense or putting themselves in any sort of situations that harms your characters or detracts from your game play to find the 'hidden feature.' Therefore, let me put this reveal in spoilers for those who want to know:

Reveal hidden contents

The hidden feature is that, when you crouch, the healing effect goes faster. Admittedly, not by much but the difference is noticeable.

I have looked into making the collar upgradeable, mainly due to the fact that the healing effect is a bit slight (although "overpowered" is in the eye of the beholder and you never know when where you are is suddenly "too far").

In other news, I have been developing another version of a homemade mod that I frequently use (again, to make it lore friendly) and those are a pair of goggles that nullifies the scope sway effect. I've never enjoyed the "holding my breath" gameplay mechanic and so I developed a mod to get rid of it. Granted, the specific mod that I made for myself is a bit overpowered with other "magical" effects attached to it completely unrelated to a pair of goggles. However, I have been 'downsizing' my overpowered mods (I now use the healing collar placed here for all my new playthroughs and not my original, overpowered one that inspired the one here) and intend to switch over to this pair of stabilizing goggles as well.

Perhaps the only other invention on the (distant) horizon is another type of collar, although it might also be an upgrade to the healing collar. I'm not trying to hide anything; Any progress has to do with time, effort and enthusiasm. However, I'm very glad for the warm reception for this mod (I never thought that it would gain the number of downloads that it already has) and it has inspired me to move forward with other mods and to possibly improve upon all of the other mods that I have made over time (when I was "Victor14" here).

Again, thanks to everyone for all of your comments so far.

Thanks for the info.  I def like this collar more than the DCW slave collar because, well, it's less OP.  

My collar wishlist would involve making it more 'adult', and I def got some "Slave Collar" vibes from the note.  It sounds pretty close to the DCW collar, tbh.

My wishlist:

Spoiler
  • I'd like it to lock.
  • I'd like an 'upgraded' version that looks nicer - like the DD Synth collars, preferably in both black and white variants.
  • More lore would be nice - perhaps a whole set that kind of follows the Skyrim Cursed Collar concepts, where you run around getting a whole 'set' of gear.  Nothing OP, but basically kinky armor replacers for the most part.
On 11/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, TabbyCatNinja said:

Is this healing collar usable by NPCs following you?

Hi TabbyCatNinja and thank you for your question.

I honestly do not know. I simply made the mod with my own character (the player character) in mind. As I do not use companions on my playthroughs, I have no idea if it can be or not.

Again, thank you for your question.

Hi ChandraArgentis and thank you for your comments.

I don't know what the DCW slave collar is so I can't comment on that. I used the Nukaworld DLC collar (which is used a slave collar for those wearing it inside the game) because it looked fancy, had a red blinking light and fit my purposes for what I needed the collar for.

Concerning your wishlist, here are my thoughts (in order):

** I don't know how to do that. I imagine that it could be accomplished with a script but I am hesitant to creating anything with scripts. There are some players who do not like using mods with scripts due to the way that Fallout 4 supposedly manages save games that use mods that have scripts. Of course, if you are cosplaying, then you may simply not want to remove it.

** It is certainly possible to do that; All that you would need is another model. And, of course, with a nicer appearance may come 'other' features, so... Who knows?

** Well, I do have the Stability Goggles that are 'almost' ready. As Victor14, you can also peruse my other wares here as well, namely my regenerating plasma & laser weapons. Granted, those are both overpowered but I think one of them has a standard-issued variant. I can't remember. Regardless, I should re-release them as Victor15 & include a standard-issue (or even ones with slightly degraded abilities because, after all, it does have the ability to regenerate it's own ammunition). But, yes, there is certainly room for other unconventional effects.

Again, thank you for your comments.

6 hours ago, Victor15 said:

Hi ChandraArgentis and thank you for your comments.

I don't know what the DCW slave collar is so I can't comment on that. I used the Nukaworld DLC collar (which is used a slave collar for those wearing it inside the game) because it looked fancy, had a red blinking light and fit my purposes for what I needed the collar for.

Concerning your wishlist, here are my thoughts (in order):

** I don't know how to do that. I imagine that it could be accomplished with a script but I am hesitant to creating anything with scripts. There are some players who do not like using mods with scripts due to the way that Fallout 4 supposedly manages save games that use mods that have scripts. Of course, if you are cosplaying, then you may simply not want to remove it.

** It is certainly possible to do that; All that you would need is another model. And, of course, with a nicer appearance may come 'other' features, so... Who knows?

** Well, I do have the Stability Goggles that are 'almost' ready. As Victor14, you can also peruse my other wares here as well, namely my regenerating plasma & laser weapons. Granted, those are both overpowered but I think one of them has a standard-issued variant. I can't remember. Regardless, I should re-release them as Victor15 & include a standard-issue (or even ones with slightly degraded abilities because, after all, it does have the ability to regenerate it's own ammunition). But, yes, there is certainly room for other unconventional effects.

The locking mechanism is probably found in the lighter “real handcuffs”, but is definitely found in either Deviously Cursed Wasteland or Devious Devices.

One of those two mods also features the institute collar mod.  I would show you, but since the script extender is broken right now, I can’t launch fallout.

The aforementioned slave collar also comes from DCW.

As to scripting, you could always do two versions, a basic no-script variant, or a variant for those of us who want a more ‘unique’ experience.

On 11/23/2021 at 11:40 AM, TabbyCatNinja said:

Works as described for my player.

I know it wasn't purposely made for followers but I did not notice any effect to followers who I gave the collar to.

Hi TabbyCatNinja.

Thank you for making the test on your followers. I did a little bit of research into followers in Fallout 4 and, based upon what I read, followers have a different set of rules than the player when it comes to healing and being incapacitated. My limited understanding is that followers can not be killed and automatically "recover" after a while (unless you have engaged "survival mode," in which the rules become somewhat different).

In the end, I think that the collar continues to do what it was designed to do: Give the player a small but noticeable self-healing boost that is not overpowering or otherwise game-breaking. I am always looking for ways to augment it without it becoming too complicated. I have looked into having the collar have upgrades but, at the moment for me, that looks rather complicated. However, you never know what the future may bring to us. The holiday season is coming up...

On 11/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, ChandraArgentis said:

As to scripting, you could always do two versions, a basic no-script variant, or a variant for those of us who want a more ‘unique’ experience.

Hi ChandraArgentis and thank you for your comment.

I have lots of possibilities under consideration, the one that you mention being one of them. However, there is the consideration of time and effort that must factor into every decision. At the moment, I have looked into the collar having upgrades but my Creation Kit skills aren't where they need to be in order to make such a possibility a viable reality.

Like other people have said. It works as advertised and I enjoy it!

I'm a bit of a broken record; but having two versions a "normal" and a "DD integrated" would be great, for those who wanted it.

Crafting different looks and upgrades for it would incentivise the user to keep on and to grind for better versions.

Love the idea of DD items having actual positive interactions, and not just 100% punishing. This is an item I want to use during normal gameplay. I know there was a Skyrim mod just like this. IDK if it's still getting updates though.

Going to follow this mod, and hope for your continued work on it!

Who knows, might even add more/different items like this one in the future :wink:

On 11/27/2021 at 7:24 AM, MetalBasse said:

Like other people have said. It works as advertised and I enjoy it!

I'm a bit of a broken record; but having two versions a "normal" and a "DD integrated" would be great, for those who wanted it.

Crafting different looks and upgrades for it would incentivise the user to keep on and to grind for better versions.

Love the idea of DD items having actual positive interactions, and not just 100% punishing. This is an item I want to use during normal gameplay. I know there was a Skyrim mod just like this. IDK if it's still getting updates though.

Going to follow this mod, and hope for your continued work on it!

Who knows, might even add more/different items like this one in the future :wink:

Hi MetalBasse and thank you for your comments.

First, I'd like to apologize for not replying sooner; I've been very busy lately and I haven't been able to perform any modding at all. I hope that I have time this weekend to perform some modding.

I absolutely agree that having upgrades would be a very nice idea; I just haven't been able to "crack the code" in making that happen. I know that it can be done but, as of this moment, the procedures elude me. If anyone could provide any tutorials on how to make upgrades with armor, that would be most appreciative.

I understand what DD is and I am not dismissing the idea but, at the moment, my concentration is on making an upgradeable collar. I have a lot of nice ideas in mind, even so far as going back and revising the original one. When I posted it, all that I had wanted to do was to make a simple, non-overpowered version of what I was already using for my own purposes.

If you are interested in some of my other creations, please consider the "Stability Goggles" that I released a short while ago. It is another "lore-friendlier" item that you might be interested in. Also, before this message board changed, I was "Victor14" and released some "recharger" weapons (plasma & laser). The most modern ones of those do contain scripts, in case such a feature is important to you.

Again, thank you for your comments & I apologize for not replying to you sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

I have achieved, for myself, a significant breakthrough in learning how to make custom upgrades for armor. This breakthrough opens up several new possibilities for the Healing Collar. For posterity, here is how, you too, can create a custom upgrade:

1. Create your armor item (in ARMOR of course).

2. Create your ap_armor_* keyword (ex. ap_armor_anything) in the KYWD section. Make sure it's in the category of "Attach Point." Give it a name (such as "Options" if you want more than one Option).

3. Add that keyword to your armor item in the "Attach Parent Slots" section.

4. Create your ma_* keyword (ex. ma_myawesome_armor) in the KYWD section. Make sure it's in the category of "Mod Association."

5. Add that keyword to your armor item in the "Keywords" section.

6. If it isn't already in the "Keywords" section, add "ObjectTypeArmor" in the "Keywords" section as well.

7. Now, create the 'recipe' for the upgrade that you want to make in the CONSTRUCTIBLE OBJECT section.

8. Create the actual upgrade itself in the OBJECT MOD section. Give it a name, give it a description. In the Target Mods Association section, place the "ma_*" KYWD that you created for your armor there. In the Attach Point droplist, place the "ap_armor_*" keyword that you created there. In the "Recipe" section, place the ID of the recipe (step 7) for the upgrade there.

9. Go back to the CONSTRUCTIBLE OBJECT section to your recipe. In the "Created Object" droplist, add the ID to the upgrade itself (step "8") there.

It's not the most streamlined list but it should allow you to add an unique upgrade to your armor.

Edited by Victor15
  • 2 weeks later...

An update of sorts: I have created a "framework" for the next version of the healing collar. As of right now, there is the "base" collar and then five additional upgrades. Theoretically, I could release "something" resembling a new version of the healing collar right now (although it would not be as refined as what is already available and would also likely be very overpowered in the eyes of many players).

Since this item has become so popular (thank you for using it), I feel compelled to ask all of you if there are any additional abilities besides healing that you want the collar to perform. I certainly have my own ideas but I want to hear your ideas as well.

One unfortunate setback that I haven't been able to resolve as of yet is the descriptive name in the Pip-Boy. When an item is normally upgraded, the name is altered to reflect the upgrade (ex. from "Gun" to "Sniper Gun"). However, I have since come to understand that the collar was never meant to be upgraded and, so, as a result, does not naturally have this ability. There is a way to give it that ability but I have not looked into that method quite yet. There is a "dirty" workaround that I have used, which is to change the weight of the item so that the weight dictates which "version" of the collar that you are using.

I have not forgotten the "locked" variant of this item. I have not performed a lot of work on it but I have seen some promising methods that are likely to work. Although having an item that is locked and can not be unequipped isn't my play style, I feel compelled to continue working on that characteristic for those who would prefer having it.

At any rate, thank you for using my creation. I hope that all of you are doing well and I look forward to any of your suggestions. Thank you.

On 11/25/2021 at 7:31 AM, Victor15 said:

In the end, I think that the collar continues to do what it was designed to do: Give the player a small but noticeable self-healing boost that is not overpowering or otherwise game-breaking.

This i like :)

I would suggest a version of the collar that heals a little but at the same time give a tiny bit of radiation so that in the long run, you may heal faster but the radiation give away some of your health...

A little drawback for a good advantage

Happy Holiday

Edited by tuxagent7
On 12/21/2021 at 12:46 PM, Farsh-nuke said:

Any chance of an ESL flagged version?

Thank you for your suggestion and I apologize for the delay in replying to you. I do not, at the moment, know how to achieve that aspect of modding. However, I shall investigate your suggestion further. Again, thank you and I apologize for the delay in replying.

8 hours ago, tuxagent7 said:

This i like :)

I would suggest a version of the collar that heals a little but at the same time give a tiny bit of radiation so that in the long run, you may heal faster but the radiation give away some of your health...

A little drawback for a good advantage

Happy Holiday

I am glad that you are enjoying the mod.

As for a bit of radiation... Be very careful what you wish for... :)

Thank you for the suggestion.

On 11/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, ChandraArgentis said:

The locking mechanism is probably found in the lighter “real handcuffs”, but is definitely found in either Deviously Cursed Wasteland or Devious Devices.

One of those two mods also features the institute collar mod.  I would show you, but since the script extender is broken right now, I can’t launch fallout.

The aforementioned slave collar also comes from DCW.

Concerning the ability of collars to lock, I have now achieved this ability (at least, from what little I have been able to playtest).

I hope to have some time in the next few days to generate a "locked" (but non-upgradeable) version of the current healing collar for those of you who would enjoy such a mod. As of right now, an upgradeable, locking (or non-locking) healing collar is certainly within grasp.

Thank you for your patience.

This post is to announce that a new type of "healing collar" has been created for those who enjoy collars that can not be unlocked & collars that give their user a 'radiant glow,' if you will.

Please head on over to this thread for more information. Thank you.

As for upgradeable healing collars... Well, one step at a time... ?

Hello to you.

I really like the concept of what you have done. I would like to know if you are planning any further improvements with your collar. I really like the concept that it heals which makes it very useful but if you had restrictions to prevent radiation type like this example.

When your person is naked the collar no longer emits radiation but as soon as you wear it and you are standing the radiation begins. This would allow us to talk to people without interrupting conversations and using furniture without being disturb. If you opt for this option I thank you in advance and I will continue to use your collar!

This is just a suggestion. I don't know the concept you wanted to develop otherwise I hope you will find an alternative.

Thank you again for your mod

Edited by lcewolf

Thank you, Icewolf, for your suggestions.

I have taken your consideration to heart and have released a new "Locked and Glowing" variant of the Healing Collar. Please go there for the latest version and I hope that it satisfies your requests. If not, please let me know.

Let me apologize for not seeing your suggestion sooner, as this is the topic thread for the regular "original" Healing Collar (which does not and shall not ever emit radiation as radiation was an user request) and I was not monitoring this thread as closely as the other one.

As for improvements, I am working on an upgradeable Healing Collar which, I hope, shall open up a lot of gameplay opportunities for players. I may even release two version of the collar just to gauge user feedback. It is one thing to make mods for yourself but I have learned quickly that it is another thing entirely to make mods to satisfy a larger audience.

Again, thank you for your suggestions and I hope that my mods make playing Fallout 4 a more enjoyable experience.