Dialogue Topic Not Showing RESOLVED

Hey guys. So I'm playing through The Frontier and am unable to progress a quest because the next stages dialogue topic isn't showing up.  I know they have their own Discord and such but this is really me asking about, and learning how to, fix mods on my own, rather than fixing the mod, so I dont have to bug anyone or wait for fixes. I only have a few other mods active and have looked over the .esm in FNVEDIT and think I can prove its a bug in the mod itself and not any kind of conflict.

If you'll bear with me I think I understand the GECK enough to provide all the information needed to solve the issue. While I've done extensive scripting for super simple games, I dont know enough about the GECK/CK's yet to understand the problem.

So the here's the dialogue topic I should be on but isn't showing up:

Spoiler

Topic.png.10f0a49212b35bbb28a844ca83b63a15.png

On top of it having no extra conditions, as you can see at the top right, a previous quest was set up the exact same way and it had the npc approach me to further the quest where as most of the topics call for a certain stage of the quest in the conditions in order to unlock.

Here's the very previous stage of the quest and I hope its relevant:

Spoiler

1853538212_Topic2.png.68868b2a7f4786c104b956bd93d88321.png

As you can see, when I finished that dialogue it set the quest stage to 45 which is to go back to the NPC in question to complete the quest only there's no new dialogue.

Spoiler

2068661373_Topic3.png.fe0da37828f4016b5a9431cad2f90977.png

I've looked through all the relevant scripts I can find, even searching through the NPC itself, and cant find any that would lead to the dialogue topic.

The only thing I've found that might be causing an issue is the NPC's name is "Delilah" with one i and every instance I can find, besides one other, is spelt that way. In the second picture, the end script reads "set TFLegionSideQuest4.Deliliahknow to 1" her name is misspelt, with two I's in the name. However, when you look at the quest script its also misspelled so I dont know if thats relevant or not:

Spoiler

image.png.d91a0e3504aac799327fc2e013415c4b.png

The quick TLDR is the quest tells me to talk to the NPC to progress the quest but I have no new dialogue options, and given the context, I'm pretty sure shes supposed to approach me but isn't. I've looked all over for triggers/in game activators, as thats mainly how the quest has been progressing so far and you can clearly see them in the GECK, but haven't been able to find any to unlock this topic.

So I guess my question is there anyway for me to figure out what needs to be done, in the GECK or otherwise, in order to unlock the dialogue and progress the quest? Because as far as I can tell, the dialogue is all there and even leads to other quests and topics but its just never called for/unlocked. I've spent more time watching videos and reading guides on the GECK and scripting just to fix this issue than I care to admit. Would really appreciate some help.

Edited by rookie189
6 hours ago, rookie189 said:

When it comes to dialogues, it's very complicated and my suggestion is to ask the modder.

However, if you want to make your own extra check, here some infos for you.

If the npc must approach you and start conversation, then there must be something triggering it, it can be a trigger activator, a script... so, many things could be involved, not working, the script, the activator lacking a simple flag, the AI package etc. and you need some further inspection on GECK to gather more infos.

If you have to talk to the npc and you expect that topic to show up, then you must look for the previous topic, not the one involved. Check the GREETING topic where the GetIsID is LegionCityDelilah, see if it links correctly the next one (which is the one you want to show up)

The typo you saw on the script is not important, it refers to a variable whose name is wrong but it's just aesthetic, it could have been called also "deelaila" and it was ok, the important is that both the script and the condition have the same word (or it would return an explicit error anyway)

By the way conditions are written/edited/erased on the bottom window, under the dialogue lines, I think you simply have all the columns shrinked on the left, I remember it was a bug on Win10 with GECK but should be possible to enlarge them.

Edited by A.J.
7 hours ago, A.J. said:

If you have to talk to the npc and you expect that topic to show up, then you must look for the previous topic, not the one involved. Check the GREETING topic where the GetIsID is LegionCityDelilah, see if it links correctly the next one (which is the one you want to show up)

Well even if I cant fix the problem I am starting to understand. One of the other NPC's involved is named Proctor and I was wondering what all the .ProctorGo To's and .ResetAI's in the Result and End Scripts were for but after looking through the AI Packages it looks like the GoTo is being used as a condition and the ResetAI is telling him which package he should be on:

Hang on I think I might be on to something. Delilah has two custom AI Packages and then a "DefaultPatrolPackage" for some reason I assumed she had already completed her custom packages correctly and I know for a fact she is currently on "DefaultPatrolPackage" because it tells me if I console resurrect her BUT get a load of this:

Spoiler

image.png.a25917347821fa482ee47849a18234a6.png

Thats one her two AI Packages and you can see at the bottom right that it is in fact whats supposed to start the topic I need. For some reason she's not on this package.

Theres a script tied to a activator right when you enter her room for the first time that reads:

Spoiler

image.png.5ac57fc938936f225b9e7a27a2b460cd.png

So if I'm reading this correctly, herein lies the problem and I dont understand whats going on. I'm on stage 45 of this quest which means this script activated early because it calls for getstage >= 40 and then disabled BUT the condition for the AI Package above is for her to be on Dgo 1:

image.png.c4098a5b24aa60369eeda4e98717e0f5.png

So wouldin't that mean she was set to Dgo 1 the first time I entered the room? Wouldint she have started the dialogue I need the first time I talked to her then? I'm so confused.

Edited by rookie189
28 minutes ago, rookie189 said:

There are many lines under GREETINGS, you are only showing the one you highlighted, I don't know if the other ones are referring to delilah or not (by the way the one you highlighted is Proctor talking,  why you say he's not there on GREETINGS? ...)

Also, there could be more GREETINGS, in some other quests.

The fact you say these two dialogues are similar doesn't mean much to me, you tend to set every topic with the GetIsID condition to make dialogue working properly.

SQV is the console command to show a quest variable.

Edited by A.J.
1 hour ago, A.J. said:

SQV is the console command to show a quest variable.

Hey just wanted to let you know I checked into it some more and was able to "fix" it. Delilah did have a AI Package to approach you when you enter the room and there was even a trigger but the script for it was all over the place and not working for some reason. I added my own activator and a simple 4 line script and when I went into the room she started a conversation likes shes supposed to.

I appreciate your help.

• rookie189 changed the title to Dialogue Topic Not Showing RESOLVED
1 hour ago, rookie189 said:

Hey just wanted to let you know I checked into it some more and was able to "fix" it. Delilah did have a AI Package to approach you when you enter the room and there was even a trigger but the script for it was all over the place and not working for some reason. I added my own activator and a simple 4 line script and when I went into the room she started a conversation likes shes supposed to.

I appreciate your help.

I admit I missed the whole part where you were talking about the package in the previous message. Yes I agree, the dialogue had to start when you were entering. Also, the script had nothing peculiarly weird, the only thing I see is something *could have happened* if you were going to delilah instead of katrina in the previous quest stage, but I should really inspect the esp on geck to tell for sure.

Anyway glad you solved