Too Many 4K Armor-Clothing Mods

Hello!

Welll ... What happens is that I have been installing a LOT of armor and clothing mods that contain heavy 4K textures and even 8K textures, especially from Melodic mods. It seems like too many to me ... BUT ... my game always stays at 60 fps or higher (interiors 115 fps) and I have never had a black textures problem until now.

So ... my question is the following ... can I continue installing hundreds of 4K-8K texture mods and then merging them without affecting the V-RAM for the game? I mean ... when is the game's V-RAM actually used or consumed in that aspect? Only when you are wearing those clothes directly in the game? Or is that consumed just by the act of install those '' heavy '' clothes? Is it consumed even if you don't use (wearing) the clothes in the game and only for the act that the armor-clothes to be "there" in the game without any use? 

I hope someone can orientate me with this. Thanks. 

Edited by Sneaksmile
27 minutes ago, T-lam said:

It loads when you wear it. Just avoid too many different sets on too many NPC the same time in same location

But ... what happens when many 4K-8K textured armor is used on many NPCs in a single cell of the game? I mean ... can appear black textures on them or in the things or in the background even though V-RAM is not normally at the limit and can always handle the whole game well? Or RAM or V-RAM bottleneck only in that moment?  

It's the loading time. To prevent this create mipmaps, but this eats more VRAM.

At some point even 12GB is not enough. If framerate drops, you should be carful, as this might cause script lag.

Too much CPU power is used for those texture loading.

Then you can mess up your save.

19 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

But ... what happens when many 4K-8K textured armor is used on many NPCs in a single cell of the game?

7 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

ith more than 5 followers at the same

If they are custom followers who are getting their armour from their own folder then you have, say 5 (followers) x 8K armour sets loading into RAM. If the followers are all getting the armour from the same folder then you only have 1 x 8K armour set loading into RAM (assuming they are all wearing the same armour). Same thing with the skin textures.

1 hour ago, T-lam said:

It's the loading time. To prevent this create mipmaps, but this eats more VRAM.

At some point even 12GB is not enough. If framerate drops, you should be carful, as this might cause script lag.

Too much CPU power is used for those texture loading.

Then you can mess up your save.

Well, exactly I have 12GB, I thought it was more than enough for all the shit I install  lol  

Well that's what happens when I have more than 5 followers with me, I knew it was a bad thing ... How is it fixed? 

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

If they are custom followers who are getting their armour from their own folder then you have, say 5 (followers) x 8K armour sets loading into RAM. If the followers are all getting the armour from the same folder then you only have 1 x 8K armour set loading into RAM (assuming they are all wearing the same armour). Same thing with the skin textures.

I see, then if all my followers use the same armor then it is 5x1 8K, if my followers use different armor each one of them then it is 5x5 8K

Are you suggesting that if I use the same armor on all my followers, the game won't lose 3 frames with more of 5 followers with me? 

1 hour ago, Sneaksmile said:

Now I understand why the frame-rate seems to decrease a bit (3-4 frames) when I go with more than 5 followers at the same time and they are using 4K-8K armor-clothes on them ...    

You have answered your own question. That is really what happens.

The video card cannot display the image without all the components. If the Vram is totally filled, the video card discards some unused textures and requests the new large textures blocking the frame generation, lowering the frame rate, and causing stuttering and lag. People think that the game crashes when the Vram is 100% full, but that is totally false.

Simply, the video card lower the frame rate to have time to process those super large textures. And of course, not generate black or ping textures, as someone say. Maybe, in some moment, the texture can show bad but any small movement of the camera make the texture show good again.

18 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

How is it fixed? 

If the textures already have MipMaps and the Vram is totally filled the only thing you can try is remove the MipMaps.

Some people say is better not have MipMaps while others say that is strictly necessary. That only depend of your computer power.

The use of MipMaps create a bigger file that use more Vram. If you have enough free Vram use MipMaps.

Whitout MipMaps, the texture file is more small but the game must generate the MipMap ussing pure CPU power and RAM in real time. Then, if you have enough free CPU and RAM try without MipMaps.

23 minutes ago, alex77r4 said:

You have answered your own question. That is really what happens.

The video card cannot display the image without all the components. If the Vram is totally filled, the video card discards some unused textures and requests the new large textures blocking the frame generation, lowering the frame rate, and causing stuttering and lag. People think that the game crashes when the Vram is 100% full, but that is totally false.

Simply, the video card lower the frame rate to have time to process those super large textures. And of course, not generate black or ping textures, as someone say. Maybe, in some moment, the texture can show bad but any small movement of the camera make the texture show good again.

Okay thanks for explain. But I don't have any suttering or lag. When I say that the frame-rate drops 3 frames (I think), it drops to 57 fps outside, and 112 fps inside. Obviously I can live with that. Lol  

I mean ...my game is already '' finished '' ... I mean ... ENB, SIMS, LOD, textures in mountains, water, grass, MISC, etc. I'm not going to add more heavy textures to the world or go with more followers. What really worried me was the 4K-8K armor-clothes, because it is really the only thing I do now, adding clothes (a lot) but I only do that in that sense. 

Edited by Sneaksmile
7 minutes ago, alex77r4 said:

If the textures already have MipMaps and the Vram is totally filled the only thing you can try is remove the MipMaps.

Some people say is better not have MipMaps while others say that is strictly necessary. That only depend of your computer power.

The use of MipMaps create a bigger file that use more Vram. If you have enough free Vram use MipMaps.

Whitout MipMaps, the texture file is more small but the game must generate the MipMap ussing pure CPU power and RAM in real time. Then, if you have enough free CPU and RAM try without MipMaps.

What thing are the MipMaps exactly in skyrim DDS files? 

Edited by Sneaksmile

As I said ... my game is already '' finished '' ... I mean ... ENB, SMIM, LOD, textures in mountains, water, grass, MISC, etc. I'm not going to add more heavy textures to the world or go with more followers. What really worried me was the 4K-8K armor-clothes, because it is really the only thing I do now, adding clothes (a lot) but I only do that in that sense.  

Edited by Sneaksmile
8 minutes ago, Sneaksmile said:

Okay thanks for explain. But I don't have any suttering or lag. When I say that the frame-rate drops 3 frames (I think), it drops to 57 fps outside, and 112 fps inside. Obviously I can live with that. Lol  

Then, probably, your 12GB of Vram are not totally filled. Only 3 frames can be the necessary time to process that big textures. Use GpuZ to monitor your video card.

1 hour ago, T-lam said:

Smaller images of the same thing. If you move away, the image of something becomes smaller.

This images are already loaded into the vram, without, the cpu is forced to create those on the fly what costs cpu power.

Thats the way the engine works

Okay, thanks.  

1 hour ago, T-lam said:

8k is for my opinion waste of resources. With a 4k monitor you need to zoom in the clothes 2x to make use of it.

Even 4k means, the clothes must fill the whole screen. 

I didn't really understand 

Although I have never understood if an 8K monitor or 8K TV are necessary for 8K textures to look good ... I mean ... many still using 1080p monitors but they install 4K textures 

2 hours ago, Sneaksmile said:

8K TV are necessary for 8K textures to look good

Think of little points, dots.

A monitor, a very simple one, a fictive one, can display 100 of this dots.

If you feed them with 200 dots, it will be combined, 2 dots into one dot to have 100 again

what it can display.

Now 8k picture into 4k monitor, 8k will be reduced to 4k.

Noooo, but I can zoom in !

Yes, but you need to zoom in that way, that only half of the cloth fills the whole screen.

Or 8k pubes you see only half of the pube. (there are really mods with 8k pubes).

So my question. How often do you zoom in to see half of your upper body part to enjoy the 8k ?

How often do you see your full body fills only a small part of the screen ?

People using 1080p and install 8k, maybe, they don't know, that they just throw away 6k of the 8k.

It's like signs of the time.......much more please...You can't use that much.....it doesn't matter

The main thing is a lot !