Dumb Question

I downgraded to KW 375 from 409. Game crashes to desktop after about 20-30 minutes. Now I can't remember if the KW TV mod is compatible with 375. If it is, I can't remember how to get it working again. Deleted the cache files. Thought there was another file.

Not enough coffee this morning I guess

KW TV was introduced before 375 - so you're good to use any replacement video packages that would be recognized by the KW channel selection - just be sure to remove the original from the folder (Highlander - There can only be one).

6 hours ago, ErinC7214 said:

Game crashes to desktop after about 20-30 minutes.

We know it's not because of 375 in particular, but along with other mods - any version of KW has the ability to wreck the game if things don't play nice together.

> The only real question is 'Did you make a clean save'? Most mods (unless noted) will usually upgrade to a newer version without issue - but that is RARELY the case when downgrading. Depending on how well the 'code' is implemented one could be creating various memory leaks and such when using an older build which lacks certain files the newer build will be sending requests to, as well as having child files with no parents which could easy displace hierarchy.

8 hours ago, ErinC7214 said:

I downgraded to KW 375 from 409. Game crashes to desktop after about 20-30 minutes. Now I can't remember if the KW TV mod is compatible with 375. If it is, I can't remember how to get it working again. Deleted the cache files. Thought there was another file.

Not enough coffee this morning I guess

Make sure you cleaned up correctly. I have a copy of instructions originally provided by @landess posted on my page here. Not sure why you went from 409 to 375???

1 hour ago, ErinC7214 said:

My understanding is 375 is more stable

Was. Certainly was the most stable public release before it was removed and replaced with 399, which was probably the most buggy version I know of. 409 has been relatively fine for me, and as far as I know, @landess, and most others who are using it now.

Gotcha. Selfies started working for me with 409, but I'm not so sure about 375. I'll probably go back. Need to solve my CTD issue first. As usual, you guys are great sources of info!

I was excited about several features introduced after 375, yet I keep seeing posts about issues from others and it wasn't until the builds were around 405 that I started to think about upgrading as I read the patch notes and bug fixes.

> You'll probably want to verify the stability of the game/mod per typical troubleshooting strategies: Just the game, KW and a few quality of life mods from NRaas for ease of testing. No old saves or the 1000's of other CC. I have had to ditch a few saves during the life of my Sims 3 usage since there seemed to be some sort of 'time-bomb' within - No matter what I did the game WOULD always CTD.

Cleaning the saves seems to have either fixed those possibilities or helped in concert with more stringent CC usage (merged package files/etc.)

6 hours ago, ErinC7214 said:

Gotcha. Selfies started working for me with 409, but I'm not so sure about 375. I'll probably go back. Need to solve my CTD issue first. As usual, you guys are great sources of info!

CTD isn't directly being caused by 409. Whether you upgraded to 409 incompletely, or another factor is involved, the mod version itself seems about as stable as any. Of course, depending on your last version prior to going to 409, there had been a lot of changes, and with new features added, some along the way may now be in conflict with things (other mods) that 375 (if that is what you had) did not conflict with.

But overall, not THAT many major problems.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Could you please try the TS3CLA and post the results?

2. Which world are you using?

3. Are you using some mods which game's unplayable without, like NRAAS Overwatch?

4. Are you using fixed worlds by ellacharmed?

5. Did you apply any of the fixes and tweaks from this guide?

6. Are you on the latest version of the game, which had RAM usage patched up to 4GB instead of 2GB like in previous versions?

7. Do you tried lowering mirror quality in options? Mirrors are infamous for their ability to leak RAM memory like mad. I had this issue in one of my previous playthroughs but it's non-existant now, so I can't tell you why and when does it happen, but maybe this will help you.

8. Do you frequently clear all saves and game cache via Regul Save Cleaner, which automates the whole process?

9. Did you check for conflicting CCs with Delphy's Dashboard?

As of v409, I can confirm it was very kind and stable in my playthroughs and believe me, I don't make it easy, using worlds with all EPs and SPs features, many CCs, mods and high quality textures.

Friendly reminder to frequently save the game. I'm saving every 20-30 minutes on a new slot. NRAAS Saver greatly helps with that.

Edited by wapitawg

@wapitawg I did fix the problem, but thanks for your reply, I now have a few new tools I didn't know about! I've never heard of TS3CLA or Regul's Save Cleaner. No did I know about the mirror issue. This is good stuff to know. Thanks!

Edited by ErinC7214
On 9/18/2021 at 7:52 AM, wapitawg said:

Do you frequently clear all saves and game cache via Regul Save Cleaner, which automates the whole process?

I have success using Kuree's Save cleaner, although from what I gather the one you mention does the caches as well. The reason I bring it up is cleaning the save(s) is the only way to keep player sanity and not everyone has success with Kuree's. So many are left manually cleaning.

If it's not too much bother, if you would make a separate post introducing it, where it can be downloaded, etc. - I'm sure others would appreciate it and LadySmoks would likely also add the post reference.

20 hours ago, landess said:

I have success using Kuree's Save cleaner, although from what I gather the one you mention does the caches as well. The reason I bring it up is cleaning the save(s) is the only way to keep player sanity and not everyone has success with Kuree's. So many are left manually cleaning.

If it's not too much bother, if you would make a separate post introducing it, where it can be downloaded, etc. - I'm sure others would appreciate it and LadySmoks would likely also add the post reference.

I think I might do that. Regul is a great utility in the making and the save cleaner is just a standalone module of a bigger project. It got an update rollback recently, since it needs a hotfix. I think it'd be a great time to introduce the tool after this hotfix.

Edit: oh, it got the hotfix today. So I think I'll describe it here on LL next week.

Edited by wapitawg