No API for custom animations?

So is there no API for Jedi academy that adds sexual encounters into the game? I found this a bit surprising considering how long the game has been around. mods for the game has been a bit lackluster and perhaps it could get some overhauls, I found some graphical overhauls but nothing massive that improves the game. Is there any reason as to why there hasn't been any mods aside from some skins that make the game a bit spicy?

Modding isn't magic, you can't just shove a file into a slot and expect something to happen.

And it's also not reverse engineering, most of the time. People can't make mods when the game isn't open to it, unless it's an extremely well-known engine (like Source or Unreal), or it's old enough that you can just break the entire game and source code apart.

And even if a game is moddable, it still has to be easy enough that people actually want to make game-changing mods to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just put out an idTech4 mod for Doom 3 called UltraViolence and have /way/ too much experience with the idTech engines to not comment :). TL;DR -- JKA code is inferior in today's world, the community was full of jerks, and 20 years later there's probably no incentive to revisit a toxic soup of weird people and convoluted code.

On 8/13/2021 at 3:11 AM, umbra289 said:

So is there no API for Jedi academy that adds sexual encounters into the game?

There's no good API because of the way idTech3 handles entities, collision, and rendering. The GLM model format and use of a skeleton in JK is largely useless outside of making static animations portable between characters.

Carmack programmed idTech3 to use giant switch-case statements that efficiently decide what to do with each kind of entity based on "VIS" data -- and the networking model is intertwined, Characters and items don't share physics models; the world is a precompiled entity with no deformation capability; and basic vector maths often rely on hard-coded approximations at a very deep level. idTech3 was built for speed + demo recording, with almost no flexibility.

Specific to sexual encounters: Star Wars nerds are a special kind of crazy -- hyper-focused on "canon", fixated on intellectual property, with a surprisingly high number of religious folks. If you find an interesting Star Wars mod, it was probably made in spite of something or someone.

I stayed far away from JK. Heck, if you go over to https://www.massassi.net/, you'll see piles of shitposts over nothing. "Your Storm Trooper isn't white and should be removed" -- fuck off, eh? If you can't copy someone's grappling hook code without being raked over the coals, and you get in deep shit for putting Leia's head on Darth Vader, what's the point of producing anything moderately creative, let alone sexual content?

Sorry for the long post, but after 20+ years of screwing around with idTech engines, I share your disappointment. If you want to see nude mods, you'll need to hire a Hater Blocker and go fishing on remote Discord servers for experts. Uhh, good luck ;)

1 hour ago, dxw said:

I just put out an idTech4 mod for Doom 3 called UltraViolence and have /way/ too much experience with the idTech engines to not comment :). TL;DR -- JKA code is inferior in today's world, the community was full of jerks, and 20 years later there's probably no incentive to revisit a toxic soup of weird people and convoluted code.

There's no good API because of the way idTech3 handles entities, collision, and rendering. The GLM model format and use of a skeleton in JK is largely useless outside of making static animations portable between characters.

Carmack programmed idTech3 to use giant switch-case statements that efficiently decide what to do with each kind of entity based on "VIS" data -- and the networking model is intertwined, Characters and items don't share physics models; the world is a precompiled entity with no deformation capability; and basic vector maths often rely on hard-coded approximations at a very deep level. idTech3 was built for speed + demo recording, with almost no flexibility.

Specific to sexual encounters: Star Wars nerds are a special kind of crazy -- hyper-focused on "canon", fixated on intellectual property, with a surprisingly high number of religious folks. If you find an interesting Star Wars mod, it was probably made in spite of something or someone.

I stayed far away from JK. Heck, if you go over to https://www.massassi.net/, you'll see piles of shitposts over nothing. "Your Storm Trooper isn't white and should be removed" -- fuck off, eh? If you can't copy someone's grappling hook code without being raked over the coals, and you get in deep shit for putting Leia's head on Darth Vader, what's the point of producing anything moderately creative, let alone sexual content?

Sorry for the long post, but after 20+ years of screwing around with idTech engines, I share your disappointment. If you want to see nude mods, you'll need to hire a Hater Blocker and go fishing on remote Discord servers for experts. Uhh, good luck ;)

Well shit, unfortunate that the star wars fandom is filled with so many puritans. i already cought a few nude skins and such but its a shame that no ones bothered touching animations and the such.