"Battle stations"/Rigs

49 minutes ago, SamIAmHam said:

That looks really awesome. I suggest you run an LED strip along the inside of the edges of the side window. It'll really brighten it up.

Here's my last computer before the cpu pins were bent.

IMG_20181021_152648120.jpg

Thanks. The cellphone makes the LEDs appear a lot brighter than they actually are so an LED strip doesn't sound too unreasonable to me. Rigs with less RGB stuff can be nice too and certainly a lot more affordable, I've definitely seen at least one example in a YouTube video where someone has gone overboard with RGB, lol.

If they were just bent pins you could very carefully straiten them with some kind of pointy tool or a razor blade and a magnifier of some kind and the CPU should still work, I actually had an issue with bent pins when I swapped out my cooler, my mistake was pulling strait up when removing the old one which had basically become glued to the top of the CPU and wound up taking the CPU with it when it did finally give, what I should have done is given the tower a careful twist before pulling on it. The real problem with pins is if they are missing or somehow got completely bent to where they would likely break anyway if straitened.

Edited by Z0mBieP00Nani
11 minutes ago, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

Thanks. The cellphone makes the LEDs appear a lot brighter than they actually are so an LED strip doesn't sound too unreasonable to me. Rigs with less RGB stuff can be nice too and certainly a lot more affordable, I've definitely seen at least one example in a YouTube video where someone has gone overboard with RGB, lol.

If they were just bent pins you could very carefully straiten them with some kind of pointy tool or a razor blade and a magnifier of some kind and the CPU should still work, I actually had an issue with bent pins when I swapped out my cooler, my mistake was pulling strait up when removing the old one which had basically become glued to the top of the CPU and wound up taking the CPU with it when it did finally give, what I should have done is given the tower a careful twist before pulling on it. The real problem with pins is if they are missing or somehow got completely bent to where they would likely break anyway if straitened.

Thanks for the information, but I've been building computers since 1996 and the old Pentiums. I have way too many pins bent on the cpu to straighten them. What happened was that my cpu fan died and I went to go pull the fan off. The factory paste had sealed itself to the heatsink and came out with the heatsink/fan. It took me using 90% alcohol to soak the cpu combo for about 15 minutes to pull it apart.

One of my older cases I did a stained glass look using St. Michael and the Dragon painting as a basis. It turned out rather well. A guy I knew was an artist. I made a pattern for him and he created the "leading" with transparent PVA glue dyed silver. He then used thinned out transparent PVA glue dyed in the right colors for the actual art. He then sealed it with a matte coat. I ran LED strips around the glass on the inside to give it a cathedral window look. I wish I had pictures of the finished design because it really was a work of art.

only this picture for now... because my desk is full of crap :D not suitable for any pictures right now ^^

Specs:
Intel Cire i9-10900K (watercooled with a Corsair iCUE H115I Elite Capellix)

Asus ROG STRIX Z490-Gaming

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (2x 16GB)

GeForce RTX 3090 ROG STRIX OC Gaming

Seasonic Focus PX850

5x Corsair ML140 Pro RGB + 1x Corsair ML120 Pro RGB Fans

be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev.2

for more interesting facts (and for german speaking people):

http://www.sysprofile.de/id32457 

bHb19621.jpg

1 hour ago, SamIAmHam said:

Thanks for the information, but I've been building computers since 1996 and the old Pentiums. I have way too many pins bent on the cpu to straighten them. What happened was that my cpu fan died and I went to go pull the fan off. The factory paste had sealed itself to the heatsink and came out with the heatsink/fan. It took me using 90% alcohol to soak the cpu combo for about 15 minutes to pull it apart.

One of my older cases I did a stained glass look using St. Michael and the Dragon painting as a basis. It turned out rather well. A guy I knew was an artist. I made a pattern for him and he created the "leading" with transparent PVA glue dyed silver. He then used thinned out transparent PVA glue dyed in the right colors for the actual art. He then sealed it with a matte coat. I ran LED strips around the glass on the inside to give it a cathedral window look. I wish I had pictures of the finished design because it really was a work of art.

Ah, yeah I hadn't considered the number of pins bent when I wrote my comment, that could also put a stop to things, in my case I had maybe 10 or 15 pins bent.

That stained glass modification sounds like it would've been really cool, I could see doing something like that with a Diablo themed modification while making the rest of the case look like a ruined cathedral (with carved foam board and maybe some sand and glue for a textured brick effect). I don't think stuff like that is "over the top" though because it's as you said art. What I was thinking of was a PC that had enough LEDs in it that it probably could've doubled as a medium brightness night light for a sizeable room.

14 minutes ago, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

Ah, yeah I hadn't considered the number of pins bent when I wrote my comment, that could also put a stop to things, in my case I had maybe 10 or 15 pins bent.

That stained glass modification sounds like it would've been really cool, I could see doing something like that with a Diablo themed modification while making the rest of the case look like a ruined cathedral (with carved foam board and maybe some sand and glue for a textured brick effect). I don't think stuff like that is "over the top" though because it's as you said art. What I was thinking of was a PC that had enough LEDs in it that it probably could've doubled as a medium brightness night light for a sizeable room.

It's okay on the pin thing.

I would do it just to have done it and show it off.  The Diablo theme sounds like a good one to do. You could always do the stained glass using the original Doom box art as the template. That would fit with the cathedral. If you do the foam brick work make sure you have a good airflow in your case.

4 hours ago, thaclone said:

only this picture for now... because my desk is full of crap :D not suitable for any pictures right now ^^

Specs:

Seasonic Focus PX850

bHb19621.jpg

I don't want you to feel ignored. You have a very nice look going in your case. I love the minimalism you've got going. Sometimes that just screams elegance. :) 

14 hours ago, thaclone said:

Specs:

Seasonic Focus PX850

bHb19621.jpg

Yes, this is a nice build, very colorful. I almost went with the default rainbow scheme but I don't know.. it can look really nice in pictures but in real life it seems kind of busy to me, that could just be from all of the color movement. Admittedly I'm kind of envious of that set up over all though, lol.

MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
CPU: Core i7 8700k @ 4.9 all cores
RAM: 32GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3600
VIDEO: Gigabyte Gaming OC 3x 8GB RTX 2070 Super +100 core/150 mem
? 1TB Sabrent Rocket NVME m.2 5000/4400 MBps
? 1TB Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 2.5" SSD
E: 2TB Crucial BX500 2.5" SSD
M: 6TB WD Blue HDD
PSU: Corsair RM1000X
COOLER: Corsair H100i V2
CASE: Corsair Carbide 600C
MONITORS: 3 x 24" Dell Gaming S2417DG 2560x1440x165Hz
KEYBOARD: Corsair K95
MOUSE: Logitech G502 Lightspeed wireless
SPEAKERS: Logitech Z323 2.1
HEADSET: HyperX Cloud Alpha Pro

InkedScreenshot_6_LI.jpg.5be71c8011ab97d173574ae991cebd82.jpg

Screenshot_11.thumb.png.8058b3c2ae70d0c2d160ae60ef980742.png

Edited by ramrod126
22 hours ago, Z0mBieP00Nani said:

Yes, this is a nice build, very colorful. I almost went with the default rainbow scheme but I don't know.. it can look really nice in pictures but in real life it seems kind of busy to me, that could just be from all of the color movement. Admittedly I'm kind of envious of that set up over all though, lol.

thanks ... and tbh - usually I have the LEDs on dimmed red :D much "easier" for the eyes, when the rom is dark :D
but sometimes I just want some party going :D especially when only browsing through youtube or just listening to some music or so ^^

and the RGB rainbow does really look nice for pictures :)