question about race support patches and other edits to mods

i hope this isn't a dumb question but why exactly do people REQUIRE the mod authors permission to make sexbound patches for their race (or to edit a mod in any other way). i understand that you should do that to just be polite but its not like they have any legal authority to stop you. like is it a site rule to ask for permission or is it just kinda an "unofficial" social rule and its just not acceptable to do stuff to a mod with the authors consent?

Edited by nameisname01
  • nameisname01 changed the title to question about race support patches and other edits to mods
1 hour ago, Saxeda55 said:

It's like that with anything in any degree. Taking something inherently SFW and making it NSFW is just very very risky so 100% of the time you have to ask the author. It's their creation.

but is it a site rule tho or is just a social rule, like if someone made a patch without the mod authors permission would it be taken off the site and be banned or is it just looked down apon

1 hour ago, nameisname01 said:

but is it a site rule tho or is just a social rule, like if someone made a patch without the mod authors permission would it be taken off the site and be banned or is it just looked down apon

Both. Not so much "without author's permission", more so "against author's will".

We used to make supports without a concern back in the legacy days because nobody expected the API would work out and the mod wouldn't be known, but it apparently grew quickly, and many of the races that were beginning to be supported were made without consent/permission from the original authors, and that bothered them. I don't know the full extent, if any harassment ever happened to the modders, but it troubled the community to the point where Frackin' Universe developers went out of their way at the time to make the races from the mod incompatible.

After those times, i tried really hard to promote a culture of respect towards the modders and their creations, i'm not sure if it caught on but most people seemed to agree with it, and this is a part of the rules on the website. To respect the modders, the people who take time out of their life and schedule to produce content for everyone. If the modder who made the race doesn't want it to be supported, it is then, against the rules of the LoversLabs forums to continue to distribute the support. However, even if you try really hard to contact certain mod authors for support, they will just refuse to respond and try their hardest to ignore messages. If that happens, i personally would still make the support anyway, given that the mod hasn't been updated in at least 6 months, and that the attempt to contact them was at least a month old, since the creator has, by definition, abandoned the mod, or avoided responding. Some may go further and delete your comment, and there have been a couple race creators that went out of their way to harass users and those who asked for support.

So, what is the current general guidelines for support creation? We ask for permission. If they say no we don't do nothin'. If they say yes we work towards making the support. If they don't say nothing, and the mod hasn't been updated in a while, it's up to you. If you think you won't be bothered by possible drama, go ahead. If the modder is really bothered by it, they'll come talk to you anyway. Otherwise they probably have their reasons to not say anything.

54 minutes ago, red3dred said:

Both. Not so much "without author's permission", more so "against author's will".

We used to make supports without a concern back in the legacy days because nobody expected the API would work out and the mod wouldn't be known, but it apparently grew quickly, and many of the races that were beginning to be supported were made without consent/permission from the original authors, and that bothered them. I don't know the full extent, if any harassment ever happened to the modders, but it troubled the community to the point where Frackin' Universe developers went out of their way at the time to make the races from the mod incompatible.

After those times, i tried really hard to promote a culture of respect towards the modders and their creations, i'm not sure if it caught on but most people seemed to agree with it, and this is a part of the rules on the website. To respect the modders, the people who take time out of their life and schedule to produce content for everyone. If the modder who made the race doesn't want it to be supported, it is then, against the rules of the LoversLabs forums to continue to distribute the support. However, even if you try really hard to contact certain mod authors for support, they will just refuse to respond and try their hardest to ignore messages. If that happens, i personally would still make the support anyway, given that the mod hasn't been updated in at least 6 months, and that the attempt to contact them was at least a month old, since the creator has, by definition, abandoned the mod, or avoided responding. Some may go further and delete your comment, and there have been a couple race creators that went out of their way to harass users and those who asked for support.

So, what is the current general guidelines for support creation? We ask for permission. If they say no we don't do nothin'. If they say yes we work towards making the support. If they don't say nothing, and the mod hasn't been updated in a while, it's up to you. If you think you won't be bothered by possible drama, go ahead. If the modder is really bothered by it, they'll come talk to you anyway. Otherwise they probably have their reasons to not say anything.

ah alright i was just confused if it was a sight rule to seek permission or just a social thing (tho in my personal opinion modding should be open and free to everyone regardless of permission but that just my opinion)