Is there a way to fix the transparency graphical bug

When it comes to makeup and tattoos on my character, they have a tendency to not be visible or randomly lose visibility when my character wears tansparent clothing, or if my character is in water but the camera is not below water (any part the water touches will lose the tattoos. But if the character and camera are fully submerged they are visible again.)

I'm wondering if there is a mod, ini setting, or some other thing I can do to deal with this bug. More so the transparent clothes than the water, but I imagine the two are related. I love transparent clothing mods, but I'm sick of the designs I worked so hard on randomly disappearing based on the camera angle.

EDIT: And before anyone mentions adding mipmaps to the tattoos etc. Already did that. Fixed a lot of issues, but not this one.

Edited by Aki K
Avoiding answers I already know.

On 7/7/2021 at 12:33 PM, darknotfear said:

I don't know how to install it. I have a particular HDT and ENB setup I have that I'm comfortable with and don't want to risk breaking anything I won't know how to fix.

In addition I use MO2 and this is definitely not the sort of mod that can just be installed as normal. So I don't know where to put the files since the mod author didn't do much explaining.

@Aki K

It works just fine for me. You should use the updated version from 2017, I have it attached here.

Both the dll and ini files go in your Skyrim directory (where the skyrim exe is).

Then open your enblocal.ini, and set these values:

[PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=true
InitProxyFunctions=true
ProxyLibrary=hdtSkyrimOIT.dll

This will sideload the transparency fix dll when you load the game.

Now, I also had to edit hdtSkyrimOIT.ini because it comes with an SMAA option which caused graphical issues.

Open it and set

[SMAA]
Enable = false

If you want to sideload yet another dll, for example injectSMAA, you can do that in hdtSkyrimOIT.ini by changing

[Proxy]
ProxyLibrary = d3d9_smaa.dll

with d3d9_smaa.dll being the name of the dll you wanna sideload.

hdtSkyrimOIT.zip

4 hours ago, decaluka said:

@Aki K

If you want to sideload yet another dll, for example injectSMAA, you can do that in hdtSkyrimOIT.ini by changing

[Proxy]

Admittedly I understood about half of that. I don't know if I want that or not lol. I don't know what any of those things do or mean. But I can probably follow the directions.

Aside from the transparency thing, will these changes do anything else to my ENB settings or HDT settings? I am running a sort of "bootleg" mix of SMP and HDT (that required very little setup compared to full SMP) and many of my outfits depend on it. I like my ENB appearance as close to vanilla skyrim as possible (mostly because when I tried using alternative ENBs the lighting got very weird for no reason and the game didn't look good. Probably that I don't know how to install ENB stuff that great.

So what I'm really asking is, how much does this change from the settings I have currently setup roughly?

55 minutes ago, decaluka said:

Nothing, the only thing the dll does is prevent the issues you mentioned with transparency.

And if you have issues with it you can always just revert your enblocal ini back to the way it was and delete the two files you added.

Awesome. So what exactly does this part do then:

6 hours ago, decaluka said:

@Aki K

Now, I also had to edit hdtSkyrimOIT.ini because it comes with an SMAA option which caused graphical issues.

Open it and set

[SMAA]
Enable = false

[Proxy]

hdtSkyrimOIT.zip 169.08 kB · 0 downloads

Sorry if these questions sound repetitive but I am very tech inept. ^-^

So, SMAA is an antialiasing technique. You can use SMAA injectors like the one I linked to reduce aliasing.

It's entirely optional and up to you, you can ignore it.

That said, the transparency fix includes its own SMAA system, which I think is buggy and will make your game look weird.

So setting

[SMAA]
Enable = false

in its ini disables that part and avoid the glitchiness.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:18 AM, decaluka said:

So, SMAA is an antialiasing technique. You can use SMAA injectors like the one I linked to reduce aliasing.

It's entirely optional and up to you, you can ignore it.

That said, the transparency fix includes its own SMAA system, which I think is buggy and will make your game look weird.

So setting

[SMAA]
Enable = false

in its ini disables that part and avoid the glitchiness.

I have been attempting to follow instructions and installed the first part, but my game has ceased to start. I get CTD in seconds.

EDIT:

Got it to launch, but shadows are really weird, a lot of my physics are gone, and my tattoo textures won't load at all (which is the total opposite of what I was trying to do). For me SMAA enable was already false. So not gonna try to enable it and see what happens. But so far this fix isn't working for me at all.

Edit2: Doing this part fixed my lack of physics. But I still can't see my tats, shadows keep freaking out from the slightest movement of my character, and my game is moving much slower.  All I want is to fix the transparency bug. This seems to touch on a lot of things beyond that bug that I wasn't expecting.

Any advice on how to minimize the impact of these changes? All I want is the tranparency fixed. Otherwise I want my physics, shadows, etc. to be as I had them before.

Spoiler

If you want to sideload yet another dll, for example injectSMAA, you can do that in hdtSkyrimOIT.ini by changing

[Proxy]

Edited by Aki K

Shadows are moving relative to my character rather than the sun or other objects. It looks very chaotic in motion but I have no way to record it. I took two screen shots. One is after my character took only a few steps.

Huge shadows that don't make sense for the time of day:

Spoiler

940365326_Shadowsmoverelativetocharacter.png.52805047222b4367da844bf58b1de136.png

Massive changes with only a few steps (and a lot of rapid movement in between that I can't show)

Spoiler

1001807300_MassiveShadowmove.png.95a2ead56162be2fe8757d253d7ac229.png

For the time being I have returned my settings from backup, because the sudden slow speed and inability to use the tats I spent so much time creating made this unplayable for me.

I think I need to find a simpler fix.