Custom Races Head Parts Not Working/Overall Head Part Issue.

https://modwat.ch/u/Nuttyboy812

So, for some reason, when I launched Skyrim a couple weeks back, I noticed in RaceMenu that the CustomRaces face parts no longer work. I tried reinstalling Custom Races, Racemenu, and RaceCompatability to no avail, reinstalled the game itself, reinstalled MO, as well as doing all the typical troubleshooting stuff. I was able to get them to appear by resetting the quest in the console, but when I do that, if I change race or gender they go away again, and they don't appear correctly when doing this anyway, failing to grab their texture set or something like that leading to messed up head shaders. I'm at my wit's end here, checking the Papyrus log and skse logs showed nothing helpful, and even running with no mods but Racemenu, Custom Races, and RaceCompatability, I get the same issue. Interestingly enough, the head parts from High Poly Head show up just fine, and when I gave my Custom Races files to a friend, they worked just fine for her as well. I've since noticed that the shading on every head in the game seems messed up a little bit too, and in some cases they break hard like the Custom Races heads are doing. I've reinstalled the game, the mods, mod organizer, and windows, each multiple times and still have the issue. I need some esoteric modding black magic advice here, because I just don't know what to do at this point.

9 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

the CustomRaces face parts no longer work.

Does this mean that they worked previously?

10 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

by resetting the quest in the console

What quest would this be?

11 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

running with no mods but Racemenu, Custom Races, and RaceCompatability, I get the same issue. Interestingly enough, the head parts from High Poly Head show up just fine,

Unless you have manually installed the HP Head nif into, e.g., CustomRedguard folder any CustomRedguard character you create will still be using the default head nif.

Once you have installed the HPH into the CustomRaces folders then you still need to change the head in RM to the HP head by clicking on 'faceparts' (under the 'head' or 'face' tab?) and moving the slider until the HPD is named at the bottom right of the screen. The HPH name is prefixed with KL. 

15 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Does this mean that they worked previously?

What quest would this be?

Unless you have manually installed the HP Head nif into, e.g., CustomRedguard folder any CustomRedguard character you create will still be using the default head nif.

Once you have installed the HPH into the CustomRaces folders then you still need to change the head in RM to the HP head by clicking on 'faceparts' (under the 'head' or 'face' tab?) and moving the slider until the HPD is named at the bottom right of the screen. The HPH name is prefixed with KL. 

Yes, they worked previously for years on their own, then broke randomly despite me not having touched anything with my setup or computer.

The quest I'm referring to would be the racecontroller quest that custom races uses.

I did not install the HP head nifs into custom races or anything like that, HPH's head parts are selectable with racemenu on custom races by default, no need to replace the head nifs in custom races as the HPH headpart you can select is already pathed to it.

15 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

I did not install the HP head nifs into custom races or anything like that, HPH's head parts are selectable with racemenu on custom races by default, no need to replace the head nifs in custom races as the HPH headpart you can select is already pathed to it.

Sorry, yes you are correct. I do it but I can't remember why I did it if I'm honest.

1 hour ago, nuttyboy812 said:

the CustomRaces face parts no longer work.

Do you mean the RM sliders, e.g. nose, mouth, etc.?

39 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Sorry, yes you are correct. I do it but I can't remember why I did it if I'm honest.

Do you mean the RM sliders, e.g. nose, mouth, etc.?

No, I mean the head mesh, under the slider called face parts. Custom races adds it's own custom head with the proper texture set assigned to it for custom races. I know about using the complexion slider as a workaround with a headmesh that has the wrong texture set selected, but eventually at some point in a save, that stops working and you have to do it the right way for shit to work, hence why I'd like my custom races head parts back so badly.

10 minutes ago, Marg597 said:

Maybe it was because of Wet Function Redux if you use that?  There was a High Poly Head problem with that one, that's now patched by Nymra

I do not, I am literally only running CustomRaces, RaceCompatability, USLEEP, and RaceMenu right now for trouble shooting.

51 minutes ago, Marg597 said:

Wet Function Redux

Nope, never used it.

48 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

Custom races adds it's own custom head with the proper texture set assigned to it for custom races.

If I'm not mistaken, the meshes and textures which come with CR are just copies of the vanilla meshes and textures. The idea is that you replace these meshes and textures with your own. That is how you get your PC looking different to the other NPCs in your game.

1473108561_Nephele4.jpg.e2431c5c1d635f3d2b28d55ee8c94341.jpg

95555284_Nephele5.jpg.1abc7b4cb2634e600fcb1c76f426972c.jpg

913586602_Polydora3.thumb.jpg.2aa09fd7a39d16d03a40af1ed2a22c3a.jpg

535553338_Xenia2.jpg.11c95f1a462308ca1dfd5beb10b0ee84.jpg

As you can see none of those look anything like vanilla.

20 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Nope, never used it.

If I'm not mistaken, the meshes and textures which come with CR are just copies of the vanilla meshes and textures. The idea is that you replace these meshes and textures with your own. That is how you get your PC looking different to the other NPCs in your game.

Reveal hidden contents

1473108561_Nephele4.jpg.e2431c5c1d635f3d2b28d55ee8c94341.jpg

95555284_Nephele5.jpg.1abc7b4cb2634e600fcb1c76f426972c.jpg

913586602_Polydora3.thumb.jpg.2aa09fd7a39d16d03a40af1ed2a22c3a.jpg

535553338_Xenia2.jpg.11c95f1a462308ca1dfd5beb10b0ee84.jpg

As you can see none of those look anything like vanilla.

Yes I know, the problem is that I cannot select the facepart from the mod that allows you to do this, it's not appearing in the face parts slider and so I am stuck with the vanilla face part that it does pick up.

1 minute ago, nuttyboy812 said:

Yes I know, the problem is that I cannot select the facepart from the mod that allows you to do this, it's not appearing in the face parts slider and so I am stuck with the vanilla face part that it does pick up.

I'm still not getting this.

Do you mean that you don't get this:

1491094572_RMHPL.jpg.39b91bc7034f35e51f9caae606e57983.jpg

4 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

I'm still not getting this.

Do you mean that you don't get this:

Hide contents

1491094572_RMHPL.jpg.39b91bc7034f35e51f9caae606e57983.jpg

No, the face part that custom races adds, which I believe should read as 01CustomMaleHeadNord in this case, doesn't show up. It is the face part that takes it's meshes and textures from the custom races folder, and it does not appear when I switch to CustomNord. In the OP I mention that the Hi Poly Heads face parts do show up, but the Custom Races one does not, which I mentioned to give as much information about the issue as I could. Getting HPH to work is not part of this issue at all, it works just fine, I am only trying to get the CustomRaces face parts to show up again, as they worked fine for God knows how many years, and then broke inexplicably one day despite me not modifying my game setup or Windows in any way.

47 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

No, the face part that custom races adds,

Right, I think I'm with you.

Well nothing like that shows up in my RM character creation. My faceparts slider has five faces. The first does not have a name (in the bottom right corner) and the rest are Skyrim, Dawnguard, HPH, etc plus a couple of vampire variants.

I tried it on CustomRace Nords and Orcs and on vanilla Nords and Orcs.

53 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

01CustomMaleHeadNord

That does show up in the Head Parts section of the esp. It points to the malehead.nif in the CustomNord folder. CustomOrc etc point to their respective CustomRace folder.

43 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Right, I think I'm with you.

Well nothing like that shows up in my RM character creation. My faceparts slider has five faces. The first does not have a name (in the bottom right corner) and the rest are Skyrim, Dawnguard, HPH, etc plus a couple of vampire variants.

I tried it on CustomRace Nords and Orcs and on vanilla Nords and Orcs.

That does show up in the Head Parts section of the esp. It points to the malehead.nif in the CustomNord folder. CustomOrc etc point to their respective CustomRace folder.

Mine had 5 when it was working, now it's just 4. Gonna try moving the drive Skyrim is on just to see if that does anything, I don't see why it would but I'm trying everything at this point.

21 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

Mine had 5 when it was working, now it's just 4

Well it is actually six on mine as I forgot it begins at 0. The point is that there is no reference to a 01CustomMaleHeadNord (which is presumably position 0) but everything works as intended. You seem to be obsessing about fixing something which is not broken. The number on yours will be different because I have an entry for a riekling head.

CustomRace Wood Elf at position 0 and position 1. 0 is what vanilla people look like in my game and 1 is Skyrim.esm.

164824051_RMCustomWoodElf1.jpg.1c8423c8fe4a4fc88330da73dbf51dbb.jpg

334976145_RMCustomWoodElf2.jpg.2cc906618b3a62974bcb037e39bfd6dd.jpg

45 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Well it is actually six on mine as I forgot it begins at 0. The point is that there is no reference to a 01CustomMaleHeadNord (which is presumably position 0) but everything works as intended. You seem to be obsessing about fixing something which is not broken. The number on yours will be different because I have an entry for a riekling head.

CustomRace Wood Elf at position 0 and position 1. 0 is what vanilla people look like in my game and 1 is Skyrim.esm.

Reveal hidden contents

164824051_RMCustomWoodElf1.jpg.1c8423c8fe4a4fc88330da73dbf51dbb.jpg

334976145_RMCustomWoodElf2.jpg.2cc906618b3a62974bcb037e39bfd6dd.jpg

I also had a custom races HPH face part that I added and that one is missing too, it's the one I really need but since the issue is stopping both from showing up and nobody is going to have the face part I added in xEdit, I don't mention it. The custom headpart did used to show up both at 0 but also as 01CustomMaleHeadNord somewhere later in the list too, and that one not showing up anymore is directly correlated to my customracesHPH part not showing up. Whatever is causing that, is probably what's causing the shaders on both to be fucked up too because the 0 headpart will be fine in racemenu and then I can move around a bit and the shading breaks, or I can force the missing ones to show up by resetting the racecontroller quest and they show up with the texture sets broken and then break the 0 one as well when I do that.

36 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

I also had a custom races HPH face part that I added and that one is missing too

You said earlier that

3 hours ago, nuttyboy812 said:

In the OP I mention that the Hi Poly Heads face parts do show up

So which is it?

37 minutes ago, nuttyboy812 said:

the face part I added in xEdit

Why are you editing the esp? And what are you editing? How you checked your edits for typos?

15 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

You said earlier that

So which is it?

Why are you editing the esp? And what are you editing? How you checked your edits for typos?

The HPH part in the HPH esm shows up, the HPH part from the custom races esp I added does not, and I edited the esp to make those parts because using the existing hph parts on custom races wouldn't always grab the texture set, I could refresh it using the complexion slider but then after exiting racemenu most of the time it would just reset back to whatever textures I have installed for all the npcs. My edits don't have typos, they worked perfectly fine ever since I first made them however long ago up until both headparts I have per race in customraces stopped appearing two weeks back. To illustrate, my face part list would have included The custom headpart, the vanilla headpart, the HPH headpart, and the custom HPH headpart, and then the vampire ones.

12 hours ago, nuttyboy812 said:

The HPH part in the HPH esm shows up, the HPH part from the custom races esp I added does not, and I edited the esp to make those parts because using the existing hph parts on custom races wouldn't always grab the texture set,

There is nothing wrong with either the HPH esm or the CustomRaces esp.

Neither of them require editing to make things work. What exactly did you edit?

CR can only grab the texture set that the esp is pointing to.

Do you mean that the textures did not appear in RM?

27 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

There is nothing wrong with either the HPH esm or the CustomRaces esp.

Neither of them require editing to make things work. What exactly did you edit?

CR can only grab the texture set that the esp is pointing to.

Do you mean that the textures did not appear in RM?

Don't worry about it anymore, I found a workaround.   For whatever reason, the formlists in this esp are breaking, even if I reinstall a fresh customraces so that I have an un-edited esp, the formlists still break, but I can make changes to the esp to avoid using these formlists as a workaround for the time being. Hopefully this is just contained to customraces as some sort of fluke, and it's not some underlying problem causing formlists all over the game to break. I don't know why formlists that have worked for me and thousands of other people flawlessly for years would suddenly start having a fit but I guess I've had weirder shit happen.