Hood and hair clipping bug sse

Everything was going fine until a SL Kidnap event got triggered. Eventually, the dragonborn and other victims were let go, but while in the bandit hideout I managed to grab some shit, including the cowl shown below. Ended up saving and closing the game, but when I came back and reloaded later, every hood I have now has my character's hair clipping through it. Tried reloading an old save, verifying files via steam, rebuilding and batch building in body slide, cleaning with sse edit, running loot and fnis, nothing. No matter which save I load, the hair is now clipping through all the hoods, and I KNOW it wasn't doing this before because the thumbnail for my most recent save straight-up shows the cowl with no hair clipping through it. Soon as I reload though, there's a sound like an item getting equipped and voila, what's in the picture is what I get. I don't have any mods involving hair, this is vanilla hair, the character's a high elf (if that matters) and I'm using MO2. I think these hoods are supposed to remove or make the hair model invisible when they're equipped, but I could be wrong. Anyone have any ideas or advice?

ScreenShot0.png

Whenever something similar to this happens to me, it usually fixes itself the next time i turn on my computer, maybe try turning it off and back on. I also just remembered that perhaps this issue could be fixed by the unofficial patch, try that maybe? I found this on a UESP forum from 2010, I think either the unofficial patch should fix it or you just have to change hairstyles

After a bit of experimenting I discovered that it was the hairstyle I had that was bugged. After switching to a slightly different one the clipping disappeared. The hairstyle that was causing the clipping was the long-haired style with two braids on either side of the face. After switching to the style with only one braid on the left side of the face (the same hair Ralof has) using the "showracemenu" command it disappeared. So beware! The four-braided style is bugged.

1 hour ago, EDGEDETHH said:

Whenever something similar to this happens to me, it usually fixes itself the next time i turn on my computer, maybe try turning it off and back on. I also just remembered that perhaps this issue could be fixed by the unofficial patch, try that maybe? I found this on a UESP forum from 2010, I think either the unofficial patch should fix it or you just have to change hairstyles

After a bit of experimenting I discovered that it was the hairstyle I had that was bugged. After switching to a slightly different one the clipping disappeared. The hairstyle that was causing the clipping was the long-haired style with two braids on either side of the face. After switching to the style with only one braid on the left side of the face (the same hair Ralof has) using the "showracemenu" command it disappeared. So beware! The four-braided style is bugged.

That does sound like the hairstyle I'm using. I'll give it a try tomorrow. Appreciate the pointer.

You can try adding the hair slot 31 to the armor addon section of the mod in xEdit (Linked to SSE version)

That way the hair will be automatically "hidden" (sort of like how you can set the hider in Devious Devices).

You should only need to do this if the head item is from a mod as far as I've seen.  If the head item is from the base game master, this should be done as a separate esp file patch.

** back up your esp file first.  xedit should automatically create a backup anyway but it's just easier to manually copy the esp and make a folder called backup and paste it in there just in case

1. open SSEEdit

2. Right click the mods and choose select none

3. Search for the esp file, check the box and hit OK

4. Navigate to the Armor Addon section and look for the head item (it might help to look in the Armor section first to see what the editor ID is)

5. add slot "31 - Hair" under the BOD2 - Biped Body Template - First Person Flags by left clicking to select the line of First Person Flags, then right click and select Edit (Or double click on this line to select a checkbox)  You will need to press Yes to the warning first.

6. Click the 3 lines in the upper left corner and choose save

Click spoiler to see what it looks like in xedit after making a change

Spoiler

Hair_Slot_Example.png

Problem persisted even after powering the pc back on, and the unofficial skyrim patch was already active. Tried switching between different hairstyles in racemenu without success, but I did notice that equipping or unequipping the hood DOES actually change the hair model (pictured below), like the game is trying to adjust it for hoods, but it still clips through the back. Really weird. Gonna try with a fresh save and run to the cage in the torturer's chamber with the mage hood and see if it's still happening.

ScreenShot1.png

ScreenShot2.png

Edit: aaaand nope, hoods are clipping through on fresh saves now. SMH, gonna try to disable a few mods, but it looks like this may need a completely fresh install, goddammit.

Edit2: confirmed, even fresh saves with minimal mods have the hair clipping through the hood. Gonna try a fresh install one last time with some of the sketchier mods removed.

27 minutes ago, skydragon92 said:

Edit: aaaand nope, hoods are clipping through on fresh saves now. SMH, gonna try to disable a few mods, but it looks like this may need a completely fresh install, goddamnit

Look at Marg's post above and try that first before randomly removing mods.

Also, did I really just see a "turn it off and turn it on again" suggestion as a Mesh clipping fix?

?

57 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

Look at Marg's post above and try that first before randomly removing mods.

Also, did I really just see a "turn it off and turn it on again" suggestion as a Mesh clipping fix?

?

Hey, it was worth a shot I guess lol. Sometimes it's the dumbest shit that fixes bugs in Bethesda's games, even in vanilla. I'm trying out Marg's idea, though again, it is vanilla hair sets that are clipping through, and it's doing it on all the hoods I've tried. I'm going through the list in xEdit now, but it looks like all of them already have slot 31 enabled. We'll see...

Edit: got through the list and no luck. Every hood already had (slot 31 - hair) enabled as well as the slot for long hair. Thanks for the advice though. Unless anyone else has any revelations, I'm gonna try again from a clean install. :/

4 hours ago, skydragon92 said:

Hey, it was worth a shot I guess lol. Sometimes it's the dumbest shit that fixes bugs in Bethesda's games, even in vanilla. I'm trying out Marg's idea, though again, it is vanilla hair sets that are clipping through, and it's doing it on all the hoods I've tried. I'm going through the list in xEdit now, but it looks like all of them already have slot 31 enabled. We'll see...

Edit: got through the list and no luck. Every hood already had (slot 31 - hair) enabled as well as the slot for long hair. Thanks for the advice though. Unless anyone else has any revelations, I'm gonna try again from a clean install. :/

Did something change the size of your head maybe?  That's the only other thing I can think of.

Edit: Before wiping it, maybe try opening the console and type player.setscale 1

this will force your character to default size

3 hours ago, Marg597 said:

Did something change the size of your head maybe?  That's the only other thing I can think of.

Edit: Before wiping it, maybe try opening the console and type player.setscale 1

this will force your character to default size

Appreciate the ideas, but no cigar. using the console prompt you suggested didn't change anything so I think the character was already set to the proper scale, and trying to change the head's size in racemenu was fruitless; the hood shrank (or grew) in proportion with the head as I adjusted the slider. I'm gonna' try the fresh install with fewer mods and see where that takes me.

29 minutes ago, skydragon92 said:

Appreciate the ideas, but no cigar. using the console prompt you suggested didn't change anything so I think the character was already set to the proper scale, and trying to change the head's size in racemenu was fruitless; the hood shrank (or grew) in proportion with the head as I adjusted the slider. I'm gonna' try the fresh install with fewer mods and see where that takes me.

Understood.  The other thing to try would be disable a few mods at a time in groups of 10 to 20, see if you can pin it down that way.  If the problem goes away then you start enabling some mods from the last group disabled, until it happens again, and then you can find out if it;s a specific mod.  That usually works, unless something is super borked with the save. 

Good luck

Restart can affect slot item issues only when there is a priority conflict but you don't need to restart the pc just exit and restart the game to see that to happen. It's when you have armor addon shared slots but both items have same priority, this is not the case with hairs though because they don't use armor addon priority they are head parts.

Are you using by any chance the bduunp armor and clothes mod, it changes the farm hat 03 armor addon and you have to also use the nif that came with it or you can have some problems with long hair clipping.

• 3 months later...

I have the exact same problem. Whenever a hat that is supposed to hide long hair is added to my inventory, it works just fine until I save and reload, then it no longer hides long hair.

I did a bit more testing, and it seems like, for whatever reason, shortly AFTER reloading a save, the long hair appears when it shouldn't, meaning something is going on that causes Skyrim to disregard only the long hair flag, and it takes a little time after a save is loaded for this to happen. Maybe its a rogue script that is causing Skyrim to ignore the long hair flag for all armors currently in the inventory on game load.

Did you ever manage to find a fix for this problem? If so, could you share the steps you took to resolve this issue?

Edit: Well I managed to find a work around. If you drop the hat and pick it up again, it will correctly hide the long hair. I presume you will have to do this every time you reload a save.

I also notice that there is a split second where equipment stops being rendered on my character whenever I reload. The hat hides the long hair before this moment on reload, but after that, the long hair is visible.

SE Load order:

Spoiler

skyrim.esm

update.esm

dawnguard.esm

hearthfires.esm

dragonborn.esm

unofficial skyrim special edition patch.esp

sexlab.esm

devious devices - assets.esm

sexlabaroused.esm

zazanimationpack.esm

devious devices -  integration.esm

devious devices - expansion.esm

devious devices - contraptions.esm

campfire.esm

enhancedlightsandfx.esp

rr_expanded.esp (a custom plugin for 'a Rubber Facility')

itortureframework.esm (interactive BDSM)

skyrim - utility mod.esm

crimes against nature.esm

crimes against skyrim.esm

paradise_halls.esm

audio overhaul skyrim.esp

elfx - exteriors.esp

paradise_halls_slextension.esp

pamacruxification.esp

disparityanddiversity_dirt.esp

torch_purchase.esp

larceny - pickpocketing remastered.esp

scs-main2.esp

lco_framework.esp

simplyknock.esp

lco_allinone.esp

rubber_resources.esp

whiterunimmersivesexualplayground.esp

reliquary of myth.esp

devious devices for him.esp

devious devices - brrf.esp

devious lore.esp

mylittlepony - mane6 followers.esp

frostfall.esp

xmas_lanterns.esp

cursed.esp

pahe_lakeview_manor_cell.esp

theamazingworldofbikiniarmor.esp

paragliding.esp

holdborderbanners.esp

ashes.esp

slanimloader

hhsugaratronach.esp

zapfurnitureplacer.esp

pahe_dwarven_devious_suits.esp

devious devices se patch.esp

prancin's can pony races.esp

excitable quester.esp

amatteroftime.esp

altstartelfxenchancedaddlight.esp

pamainteractivebeatup.esp

vmyc_meetyourcharacters.esp

bearserk.esp

crimes against nature - hold guards.esp

configurecommentaryrate.esp

darkreplacer.esp

enchantandsmithingpotionduration_dlc.esp

neodizzyset.esp

fallguysfollowers.esp

houseofhorrorsalternateending.esp

improvedcompanionsboogaloo.esp

frostbitecourier.esp

tissheadtrack.esp

smoothcam.esp

pony followers dephonify.esp

racemenu.esp

scs-horsemanship.esp

simpleoutfitmanager.esp

simplybalanced.esp

skeleton trumpet feet - doot doot edition se.esp

racemenuplugin.esp

the miracle of flight.esp

ultimatedragons.esp

ultimatecombat.esp

kuun's angels drop worn armor.esp (Dark Brotherhood assassins drop armor -Unenchanted)

xpmse.esp

deflect patch.esp (personal plugin)

nemesis pcea.esp

pooled shouts.esp

alternate start - live another life.esp

pahe_altstartlal.esp

nwsfollowerframework.esp

deathexpressions.esl

paradise_halls_farengars_study.esl

skyui_se.esp

truedirectionalmovement.esp

taimain.esp

dd contraptions edit.esp (personal plugin)

cuyibackpacks.esp

himbo.esp

the ponyscrolls 5 skyrim.esp

radiantblocker.esp

devious devices - lore patch.esp

deathawaitsusall.esp

communityoverlays3.esp

bordersense.esp

butterfliesunchained.esp

cbbe.esp

ebony armor pathed to dark knight assets.esp

ebony shield pathed to dark knight shield.esp

dawnbreakersundamage.esp

improvedlydiaponified.esp (personal plugin)

original night eye imod.esp

perks from questing.esp

resistancedrescaled.esp

skyhud.esp

rom - dragon priest masks pack.esp

spycrabsoundeffects.esp

dragoncombatdialogue.esp

nighteye forever.esp (personal plugin)

pony helmet.esp (personal plugin)

rr_patch.esp (personal plugin)

horseheadlights.esp

ebony mail pathed to dark knight alt.esp

Edited by NobodyImportant33333
added my load order
  • 7 months later...
On 8/16/2021 at 5:48 PM, NobodyImportant33333 said:

I have the exact same problem. Whenever a hat that is supposed to hide long hair is added to my inventory, it works just fine until I save and reload, then it no longer hides long hair.

I did a bit more testing, and it seems like, for whatever reason, shortly AFTER reloading a save, the long hair appears when it shouldn't, meaning something is going on that causes Skyrim to disregard only the long hair flag, and it takes a little time after a save is loaded for this to happen. Maybe its a rogue script that is causing Skyrim to ignore the long hair flag for all armors currently in the inventory on game load.

Did you ever manage to find a fix for this problem? If so, could you share the steps you took to resolve this issue?

Edit: Well I managed to find a work around. If you drop the hat and pick it up again, it will correctly hide the long hair. I presume you will have to do this every time you reload a save.

I also notice that there is a split second where equipment stops being rendered on my character whenever I reload. The hat hides the long hair before this moment on reload, but after that, the long hair is visible.

SE Load order:

Reveal hidden contents

skyrim.esm

update.esm

dawnguard.esm

hearthfires.esm

dragonborn.esm

unofficial skyrim special edition patch.esp

sexlab.esm

devious devices - assets.esm

sexlabaroused.esm

zazanimationpack.esm

devious devices -  integration.esm

devious devices - expansion.esm

devious devices - contraptions.esm

campfire.esm

enhancedlightsandfx.esp

rr_expanded.esp (a custom plugin for 'a Rubber Facility')

itortureframework.esm (interactive BDSM)

skyrim - utility mod.esm

crimes against nature.esm

crimes against skyrim.esm

paradise_halls.esm

audio overhaul skyrim.esp

elfx - exteriors.esp

paradise_halls_slextension.esp

pamacruxification.esp

disparityanddiversity_dirt.esp

torch_purchase.esp

larceny - pickpocketing remastered.esp

scs-main2.esp

lco_framework.esp

simplyknock.esp

lco_allinone.esp

rubber_resources.esp

whiterunimmersivesexualplayground.esp

reliquary of myth.esp

devious devices for him.esp

devious devices - brrf.esp

devious lore.esp

mylittlepony - mane6 followers.esp

frostfall.esp

xmas_lanterns.esp

cursed.esp

pahe_lakeview_manor_cell.esp

theamazingworldofbikiniarmor.esp

paragliding.esp

holdborderbanners.esp

ashes.esp

slanimloader

hhsugaratronach.esp

zapfurnitureplacer.esp

pahe_dwarven_devious_suits.esp

devious devices se patch.esp

prancin's can pony races.esp

excitable quester.esp

amatteroftime.esp

altstartelfxenchancedaddlight.esp

pamainteractivebeatup.esp

vmyc_meetyourcharacters.esp

bearserk.esp

crimes against nature - hold guards.esp

configurecommentaryrate.esp

darkreplacer.esp

enchantandsmithingpotionduration_dlc.esp

neodizzyset.esp

fallguysfollowers.esp

houseofhorrorsalternateending.esp

improvedcompanionsboogaloo.esp

frostbitecourier.esp

tissheadtrack.esp

smoothcam.esp

pony followers dephonify.esp

racemenu.esp

scs-horsemanship.esp

simpleoutfitmanager.esp

simplybalanced.esp

skeleton trumpet feet - doot doot edition se.esp

racemenuplugin.esp

the miracle of flight.esp

ultimatedragons.esp

ultimatecombat.esp

kuun's angels drop worn armor.esp (Dark Brotherhood assassins drop armor -Unenchanted)

xpmse.esp

deflect patch.esp (personal plugin)

nemesis pcea.esp

pooled shouts.esp

alternate start - live another life.esp

pahe_altstartlal.esp

nwsfollowerframework.esp

deathexpressions.esl

paradise_halls_farengars_study.esl

skyui_se.esp

truedirectionalmovement.esp

taimain.esp

dd contraptions edit.esp (personal plugin)

cuyibackpacks.esp

himbo.esp

the ponyscrolls 5 skyrim.esp

radiantblocker.esp

devious devices - lore patch.esp

deathawaitsusall.esp

communityoverlays3.esp

bordersense.esp

butterfliesunchained.esp

cbbe.esp

ebony armor pathed to dark knight assets.esp

ebony shield pathed to dark knight shield.esp

dawnbreakersundamage.esp

improvedlydiaponified.esp (personal plugin)

original night eye imod.esp

perks from questing.esp

resistancedrescaled.esp

skyhud.esp

rom - dragon priest masks pack.esp

spycrabsoundeffects.esp

dragoncombatdialogue.esp

nighteye forever.esp (personal plugin)

pony helmet.esp (personal plugin)

rr_patch.esp (personal plugin)

horseheadlights.esp

ebony mail pathed to dark knight alt.esp

I know this is about a year late, but for any who stumble upon this, I still am not sure what's causing the issue. However, I did find a solution when i noticed the bug had returned (not gonna give up and start a clean save this time after a few hundred hours of modding and play, believe that). Earlier advice from Marg was almost right on the money, only difference was it was slot 41 (long hair) that seems to be causing the issue. I'm using Mod Organizer 2, so things might work a bit different for those of you who don't, but I followed the following steps to correct it (some of you might want to go through all helmets in one go, I'm just patching one at a time as I notice them):

1. Open xEdit or SSEEdit, right click any of the displayed modules and click "select none". Reselect Skyrim.esm, Update.esm, Dawnguard.esm, Hearthfires.esm, Dragonborn.esm (also the Unofficial Patch if you have it). If you're trying to edit armor pieces from mods, go ahead and select those mods as well before pressing "ok". Let it load, hit "ok" with the Unofficial Patch selected if you included it.

2. Expand the "Armor Addon" category for the module you're looking to edit, scroll or search for the armor piece you want. Right click on that armor piece, select "copy as override into...". A warning will popup, let the timer tick down, select "Yes, I'm absolutely sure" (don't worry, these steps make it so you're not actually changing any files, just copying, editing the copy, then making a plugin we can toss if it doesn't work the way we like).

3. From the next dialogue box, select the first option for <new file>.esp, click ok, name the new module something memorable. Then in the left display, scroll down to the bottom until you find your new patch. Expand your patch's "armor addon" category to find the armor piece or pieces you chose. Click on it, and you'll see two exact copies of the armor piece in the right display. The copy tied to your new module should be the one to the right.

4. Under BODT - Body Template, you'll see a row labeled "First Person Flags (sorted)". Chances are you only see "31 - hair" shown. Double click to open a drop down menu, then check "41 - Long Hair".

5. Now, go ahead and close, xEdit/SSEEdit. A dialogue box will pop up asking to save, make sure your patch is checked, feel free to check the box for a backup if you wanna be extra safe.

6. If you're using MO2, click on its plugins tab and scroll to the bottom. Your new patch should be there. Check it, make sure your overwrite is empty, then go ahead and launch to see if the clipping issue has been resolved.

Hope this saves a couple people the headache. Otherwise, good hunting, bros.