Guest DeleteMePlease

oh man, this thread is gonna be about nagas now?

I guess you are aware of the difference between nagas and meremaids, if not:

A Naga is a snake on the bottom, and a human on the top. It comes from the Sanskrit word nag, meaning snake. [...] The mermaid is a fish on the bottom and a human on top. In European seafaring folklore, the mermaid is said to inhabit the dangerous waters of the ocean, and can sing an entrancing song to entice sailors to their deaths. [...]

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_Naga_and_a_Mermaid

So to me the only difference is the tail, which to me is not that different from a snake to a fish beside the fins. Building such a race would probably result in having one skeleton for both, thus an adaption from one to the other is fairly easy. I personally prefer naga over mermaids, that's why I started on them.

Anyway, I somehow expected to meet with positive response, guess I was wrong on that. Good luck for further development.

Sincerely

EB

oh man, this thread is gonna be about nagas now?

I guess you are aware of the difference between nagas and meremaids, if not:

A Naga is a snake on the bottom, and a human on the top. It comes from the Sanskrit word nag, meaning snake. [...] The mermaid is a fish on the bottom and a human on top. In European seafaring folklore, the mermaid is said to inhabit the dangerous waters of the ocean, and can sing an entrancing song to entice sailors to their deaths. [...]

Source: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_a_Naga_and_a_Mermaid

So to me the only difference is the tail, which to me is not that different from a snake to a fish beside the fins. Building such a race would probably result in having one skeleton for both, thus an adaption from one to the other is fairly easy. I personally prefer naga over mermaids, that's why I started on them.

Anyway, I somehow expected to meet with positive response, guess I was wrong on that. Good luck for further development.

Sincerely

EB

oi, well it would sort of depend on how you're going about making you'r mers after your nagas, do they transform in the water? do they slither? equipable tails or their very own race? are they literally nagas with fins? now, i prefer mermaids over nagas, but i lurk in this topic because it is for mermaids. (look above at the title) nagas would be cool to see, its just, for categorization purposes you should make a topic for them, because almost everyone here wants both nagas and mers.

that is unless you just let some indifferent opinions just stop you from working on the project, which is fine by me, because im not going to beg you to work on something that i didnt come here for.

Mermaids will have a hard time traveling on land with their tail, kinda like when a character's health is very low and crawling on their knees, and if they are on land, they have the ability to transform their tail into legs. Nagas could easily slither, and I don't think they have the power to change their tail into legs, ha! it will not be the same animation. I think I have differentiated mermaids and nagas enough for you already to make them seperate creatures, using different animations, and maybe seprate threads? :) I'm pretty sure you know how to do that, but if not:

To add a new topic, press the Start new Topic button. This may not be available for all forums. In forums where you cannot create a topic you will see "You cannot start a new topic" in place of the button.

Source: http://www.loverslab.com/index.php?app=core&module=help

I'm no expert, but as far as I know, Naga's and Mermaids have absolutely zero history together.

Naga's are generally land based and seen as uncivilized pawns of their gods. On top of that, every frpg encounter I've had with one has been some adventurous, out of the way place that, in the TES Universe, could be classified as daedric in scope... dungeons, evil temples, that kinda thing. In D&D, they have a couple of favored gods, both of whom are chaotic evil... which is generally just wantonly destructive, survival of the fittest. If you play one as a PC, you are suggested to play them with evil tendancies. 

Mermaids (merfolk), on the other hand, are water-based and seen as a civilized and cultural race. They have a defined heirarchy, sometimes a caste-based society (depends on the module or adventure) but are always able to communicate and be expected to be no more or less interactive than any of the major races. As a player race, I've seen in the past that they've been given severe limitations. As an NPC, they have advantages that could break a game when combined with PC class abilities.

This of course is not to say that certain technical aspects of putting them into skyrim shouldn't be reused. I think however that a merfolk should transform to bipedal on land. The worst part about Naga's is that sometimes they're REALLY CREEPY lookin as a head on a snake. That is quite literally a non-metaphoric "embodiment" of evil. The Torso on a snake, basically waist up, is much more palatable and would be a more aspect of a Naga. 

It might be interesting to have some kinda Naga vs Mermaids kinda storyline in a mod. Nagas have been actually creeping around the outskirts of Merville and nobody knows why. MerKing sent his hot daughter (older Ariel or Madison from Splash) to The City to hire an adventurer who is supposed to figure out what's going on.

Come to find out, the mermaids have an Ancient Thing that is 1 of 12 artifacts (bla bla something about the Aedra and Daedra) that the Nagas want for a ceremony. Fight some low Naga (head on a snake) and talk to the high naga to find out that 2089890437 years ago, MerKing stole it bla bla and now that time is almost up, they need it to keep the portal closed that seals out the Daedra from Nirn.

So you have High and the unintelligent Low Naga, Merfolk and their unintelligent sharkmer, a story that involves the bad guy not being bad guys, good guys not being so great, daedra, aedra, the dragonborn, and then at the end Alduin shows up and blows everything to hell. WHO'S WITH ME.

Or. . . it could just be a couple new races. 

Well, problem is, naga makin guy got offended, so no nagas? But yaman mers that change on land after half a minute, and mershark lyconthropy?

Dude that right there is fucking genius. Some Naiad are wereshark and, since the tides and the oceans are manipulated by the moon, they are afflicted by the NEW moon (the lack of a moon) instead of the full.

Well, problem is, naga makin guy got offended, so no nagas? But yaman mers that change on land after half a minute, and mershark lyconthropy?

Dude that right there is fucking genius. Some Naiad are wereshark and, since the tides and the oceans are manipulated by the moon, they are afflicted by the NEW moon (the lack of a moon) instead of the full.

christ, i need to study up on my lore

oh, btw, with all these naiads and stuff, i thought, 

Naiads: scales, get legs out of water, lotsa magic

Orcapeoplethings: as described, dont ever grow legs, rely on weapons, intelligent as Naiads

Mershark Lycanthropy: cheap excuse to fight slaughterfish underwater

Not quite sure what a Naiad is or how they entered this conversation, but I do know that in the TES universe there are shark lycanthropes. Instead of nagas they have gorgons and the existence of Lamia (half gorgon half mermaid) does suggest the existence of mermaids though never seen in TES history.

On another note: with midterms over, I'm planning on naming the bones and weighing them to the skin before exporting to 3DS and animating.

EDIT: I've also made some minor adjustments to the bones. Seeing as how fins can vary quite wildly, I felt that a two-bone setup for each fin wouldn't do any sort of justice. So instead, I turned them into fin markers and hopefully give the option to customize the fins without making an entirely different body for each fin assortment(although this will mean that textures will have to be unseemed). I've also added several bones down the front of the tail to help ground collision detection. No worries - they won't be floating.  ;)

christ, i need to study up on my lore

oh, btw, with all these naiads and stuff, i thought, 

Naiads: scales, get legs out of water, lotsa magic

Orcapeoplethings: as described, dont ever grow legs, rely on weapons, intelligent as Naiads

Mershark Lycanthropy: cheap excuse to fight slaughterfish underwater

Not quite sure what a Naiad is or how they entered this conversation, but I do know that in the TES universe there are shark lycanthropes. Instead of nagas they have gorgons and the existence of Lamia (half gorgon half mermaid) does suggest the existence of mermaids though never seen in TES history.

On another note: with midterms over, I'm planning on naming the bones and weighing them to the skin before exporting to 3DS and animating.

EDIT: I've also made some minor adjustments to the bones. Seeing as how fins can vary quite wildly, I felt that a two-bone setup for each fin wouldn't do any sort of justice. So instead, I turned them into fin markers and hopefully give the option to customize the fins without making an entirely different body for each fin assortment(although this will mean that textures will have to be unseemed). I've also added several bones down the front of the tail to help ground collision detection. No worries - they won't be floating.  ;)

Actually, what I meant was

in "our" story, we could say that some of the Naiad are wereshark. To add to that, we could say that since the tides and the oceans are manipulated by the moon, they are afflicted by the NEW moon (the lack of a moon) instead of the full.

I had a problem reconciling the name "Mermaid" . . . in TES, that would actually translate to 'humanoid female'... since all the non-human sentient races are called Mer... dunmer, altmer, etc. So, I used Naiad, which is what I think the ancient greek called mermaids. 

-snip-

I had a problem reconciling the name "Mermaid" . . . in TES, that would actually translate to 'humanoid female'... since all the non-human sentient races are called Mer... dunmer, altmer, etc. So, I used Naiad, which is what I think the ancient greek called mermaids. 

I just checked on that - apparently naiad is the Greek word for a freshwater nymph. Going over to google translate and using the phonetics option, mermaid in greek is gorgona. However, there are two other synonyms: seirina and neraida. Seirina is more siren/mermaid while neraida is a general term for fairies/water nymphs. There's also the option to follow Bethesda's pattern in naming (they called gorgons 'Madusa' and gave the half gorgon-half mermaid the name of Lamia which is a greek god) and just name the mermaids Atargatis.

Guest Alterspirit

I really like the idea of this mod ;D  Although, tbh I have absolutely no idea how the tail in vanilla is going to get pulled off. I guess you could use it strictly for rp maybe? 

By vanilla, ya mean totally unaltered? Because i thought the tail was CBBE? Anywho, this mod it'll be perfect with a few underwater dungeons, a couple of partially submerged towns, mer npcs, a few new followers and a new playable race?

I guess its time i learn how to use my copy of SCK

(seriously though, These mers need butts)

edit: oi, guys, ive looked around and, i think putting the mercity thing in the lake next to riften will work

edit:edit: fuck, that lake is too damn small to do anything in

• 3 weeks later...

There's the ocean on the way to Morrowind, and I think it might be deep enough. It's nice to see some progress from the creators. 

If the area is too small, is it not possible to make it deeper?

oi, true, true, but im looking for something sort of shallow, but really big around, so the player has a few places to walk on, like a lake or something

and yes, it's really refreshing to see this getting done, like, im pumped just seeing ANYTHING getting done here

possibly, but im not fuckin with he land movin tools, might tear a hole in the world

I found a mod that you could take as a template.

Asharas Sirens and Tritons-RM-HGEC-Growlf-UFF-EC

http://oblivion.nexusmods.com/mods/19103/?

aaaah, this mod, love this mod

maybe if someone decides to make equipable tails we can use this?

i still dont know why ashara didnt bring this to skyrim, or why no one is converting it.

or they could crawl

something like this maybe

exactly what i was hoping for

Thanks for your many ideas regarding the land travel, but I believe the author working on it has it already firmly established. Mermaids will have legs on land, and tails only when swimming.

oi, i thought he said there would be a waiting time when out the water? something like 15-30 secs?

Hmm perhaps make them float? Like the vampire lords ability.

/Just tossing out another random idea concerning mermaid "walking".

oi, i dunno, floating mers dont make much sense. mermaids already make no sense, but levitation? leave that to morrowind mermaids.