Just my two cents: I think it would be entirely possible to create a tail mesh over the normal human skeleton. I've watched a few dolphin videos, and the movement isn't so exaggerated that normal leg bones can't do it. You just have to create smooth animations.

oi, i think our mermesh is still being worked on? TheOtherGuy ha yet to tell us of any additional progress, but yeah, that sounds like mermaid tail suit things? it sounds like a really interesting idea dude.

Hmm I wonder if it's possible for someone to make it so they could swim faster when holding sprint... actually that would be amazing just in general so that if you say hold sprint at the surface of water (while swimming obviously) you'll do freestyle swimming and thus move faster than just with the games breaststroke.

yesss, for sprint swimming, i was thinking, the mer has her arms at her sides and sorta just pumps harder with her tail? it would also be cool, and convenient to jump out the water, so you could be a bit farther upshore while you wait to gain legs (uuuungh, im so hoping for a completely legless version of the race)

As for you, I had the feeling that you somehow lack the beforementioned manners when you rudely drove off EternalBlack who is a great mod creator and could have been a huge help to this mod. EB never tried to lure anyone to another thread but I really understand the reaction of leaving this thread for good after such hostility.

I have a retort, but it's not worth it to have this thread remembered more for it's arguments.

well, back, on topic, for real this time

do you guys think this should stay a female only mod? im guessing that transferring a male torso to the tail, and giving a diff pair of genitals will most definitely be possible, but im seriously doubting anyone here is even thinking about mermen, so the only way i can imagine that ever happening is if this becomes a two gendered race mod, thoughts?

I think I like the idea of the first post basing it off from Asharas Sirens and Tritons. I would like to see mermans as well and I don't mind if there's a merman's genital or not because I find it weird. The orginal mod does not have genitals either. But if you like that, then that's your opinion.

As for you, I had the feeling that you somehow lack the beforementioned manners when you rudely drove off EternalBlack who is a great mod creator and could have been a huge help to this mod. EB never tried to lure anyone to another thread but I really understand the reaction of leaving this thread for good after such hostility.

I have a retort, but it's not worth it to have this thread remembered more for it's arguments.

well, back, on topic, for real this time

do you guys think this should stay a female only mod? im guessing that transferring a male torso to the tail, and giving a diff pair of genitals will most definitely be possible, but im seriously doubting anyone here is even thinking about mermen, so the only way i can imagine that ever happening is if this becomes a two gendered race mod, thoughts?

I think I like the idea of the first post basing it off from Asharas Sirens and Tritons. I would like to see mermans as well and I don't mind if there's a merman's genital or not because I find it weird. The orginal mod does not have genitals either. But if you like that, then that's your opinion.

of course a skyrim version of asharas sirens wont have genitals, but the mod currently being worked on does

Cool idea. If no one is working on it, I might once winter break starts. I can model and texture, I've never made a 3ds max animation before, but I'm sure we could just contact one of the many animators on the nexus or other sites and show them the rest of the mod. A simple waving animation should be easy.

The biggest problem with land would be preventing the player from exiting the water without special equipment. THOUGH. An easier work around would be to have "necklace" equipped to be prevent from transferring to a mermaid, when in reality, not having the necklace it would auto equip "mermaid armor" and activate according animations or would be even further simplified to have a necklace "be" the mermaid tail. Also if it's a race mod, just replace the swimming animations for that race altogether instead of worrying about which race is swimming.

Another alternative, I'm sure there's a way in the CK to detect wether a player is in the water or not. If not, a script to detect what animations are being triggered at the time. I barely know how to use the CK, only to modify armor and what I'm trying to remember about talking to the author of Skybirds when I was working with him talking about ducks and water.

EDIT: Some one get started on an Atlantis mod. :D

Cool idea. If no one is working on it, I might once winter break starts. I can model and texture, I've never made a 3ds max animation before, but I'm sure we could just contact one of the many animators on the nexus or other sites and show them the rest of the mod. A simple waving animation should be easy.

The biggest problem with land would be preventing the player from exiting the water without special equipment. THOUGH. An easier work around would be to have "necklace" equipped to be prevent from transferring to a mermaid, when in reality, not having the necklace it would auto equip "mermaid armor" and activate according animations or would be even further simplified to have a necklace "be" the mermaid tail. Also if it's a race mod, just replace the swimming animations for that race altogether instead of worrying about which race is swimming.

Another alternative, I'm sure there's a way in the CK to detect wether a player is in the water or not. If not, a script to detect what animations are being triggered at the time. I barely know how to use the CK, only to modify armor and what I'm trying to remember about talking to the author of Skybirds when I was working with him talking about ducks and water.

oi, we have meshes, middle of page seven has the dl link, 

but yeah, personally i was hoping for most mermaid animations to be above water, seeing as how there isnt that much water in skyrim anyway

so it would be cool if we got animations for swimming, flopping/crawling, using weapons/magic (and maybe a few idles like  sitting in chairs, drinking, ect)

but back to what you said, if, say, your mod was made, and necklaces kept their legs, what would happen if she took it off, on land?

but yeah, personally i was hoping for most mermaid animations to be above water, seeing as how there isnt that much water in skyrim anyway

so it would be cool if we got animations for swimming, flopping/crawling, using weapons/magic (and maybe a few idles like  sitting in chairs, drinking, ect)

but back to what you said, if, say, your mod was made, and necklaces kept their legs, what would happen if she took it off, on land?

I was just trying to simplify everything to start with, so, you wouldn't be able to equip/un-equip, you'd get a message saying you can't walk on land or something, until someone makes a floppy animation. I was just thinking of some super simple real world solutions, in the case no one wants to make all those animations, since there's a pretty good chance that won't happen. I think if you set your goals too high, nothing will get done. If an animator comes along one day, we'll jump at the chance to finish up those parts we don't have the abilities to do ourselves.

I was just trying to simplify everything to start with, so, you wouldn't be able to equip/un-equip, you'd get a message saying you can't walk on land or something, until someone makes a floppy animation. I was just thinking of some super simple real world solutions, in the case no one wants to make all those animations, since there's a pretty good chance that won't happen. I think if you set your goals too high, nothing will get done. If an animator comes along one day, we'll jump at the chance to finish up those parts we don't have the abilities to do ourselves.

oi, its all good man

but yeah, this kind of sounds like the equipable tail solution someone brought up not too long ago, which, again made me wonder why ashara never made a skyrim mermod.

of course a skyrim version of asharas sirens wont have genitals, but the mod currently being worked on does

That won't stop me from stil supporting this mod, although making it optional would be nice. Do you like seeing mermaid sex? Duh. How about slaughter fish sex? There are animal sex mods out there. If thats what floats your boat.

I would love to see an underwater hold where the mermaid & merman folk would live, and you can visit there by becoming a mermaid yourself, or getting enchanted by an underwater breathing spell. There would be seahorses for horses, dogfish for their dogs. They have greatly enhanced hearing, and they can speak normally like how people would speak on land. They can also see well even in places where the sun doesn't reach.

If they are mermaids with tail on land, they would have a hard time traveling because they would be flopping, and I'm sure you don't want to have floating animations like naga slithing. If you have one of them as follower, they would have a hard time keeping up, even horkers can't keep up when running. They would also be handicapped when using weapons because they would mostly only hit the lower part of their enemy. They would also have a hard time reaching a chair, they would need somebody to carry them.

Maybe just install a few underwater portals to a huge underwater world with water that doesn't do damage.

That shoudn't be impossible, I've seen many people make houses. We could make one that is underwater.

Guest DeleteMePlease

I'll take the risk that feels like 80% of you won't like it again, so this is for the remaining 20%.

Took me about 1h to get from the Naga tail-model to this inside the game (no Textures yet and still crappy mesh, but works). It's more or less a proof of concept. I'll see if I continue on that or just stop here for real this time. Depends on the feedback I guess.

To those that question why I'm still here (in this thread):

Well, it's quite funny that so many people claim to be "working" on it and there wasn't even the tiniest bit of actual (at least visual) development in the meantime, just all hat and no cattle.

All I could find was people arguing (partly over me) and throwing in ideas without results.

In my opinion this thread will drown in ideas someday if there never is anything visible inside the game.

For the 20% that is interested in that and how it works:

I simply used the default skeleton and weighted the tail to only one leg. By that all animations still work and only need to be redone to suit the need of the new race. You can still see feet in the video, that's because I'm lazy and didn't configure the mod much inside the CK.

Sincerely

EB

Post Scriptum: Awaiting constructive criticism. 

I'll take the risk that feels like 80% of you won't like it again, so this is for the remaining 20%.

Took me about 1h to get from the Naga tail-model to this inside the game (no Textures yet and still crappy mesh, but works). It's more or less a proof of concept. I'll see if I continue on that or just stop here for real this time. Depends on the feedback I guess.

To those that question why I'm still here (in this thread):

Well, it's quite funny that so many people claim to be "working" on it and there wasn't even the tiniest bit of actual (at least visual) development in the meantime, just all hat and no cattle.

All I could find was people arguing (partly over me) and throwing in ideas without results.

In my opinion this thread will drown in ideas someday if there never is anything visible inside the game.

For the 20% that is interested in that and how it works:

I simply used the default skeleton and weighted the tail to only one leg. By that all animations still work and only need to be redone to suit the need of the new race. You can still see feet in the video, that's because I'm lazy and didn't configure the mod much inside the CK.

Sincerely

EB

Post Scriptum: Awaiting constructive criticism. 

heyman, apologies on what happened before, i just thought you sort of didnt want the mod to happen, glad to see you back on better terms

now then, gosh daaaaamn, this mertail looks good so far, a bit off center, but im assuming it's because its bound to one leg? eitherway, that mesh has a buuuuuttt, which is what ive been asking for, for the longest time

oi, im wondering thou, is there a simple way to erase the feet? im pretty sure they'll be erased in the final version, but im sure if i run it through ck i can probably edit it for you

and lastly, im not expecting you to do this: but, are you making animations, if you feel like continuing?

That won't stop me from stil supporting this mod, although making it optional would be nice. Do you like seeing mermaid sex? Duh. How about slaughter fish sex? There are animal sex mods out there. If thats what floats your boat.

I would love to see an underwater hold where the mermaid & merman folk would live, and you can visit there by becoming a mermaid yourself, or getting enchanted by an underwater breathing spell. There would be seahorses for horses, dogfish for their dogs. They have greatly enhanced hearing, and they can speak normally like how people would speak on land. They can also see well even in places where the sun doesn't reach.

If they are mermaids with tail on land, they would have a hard time traveling because they would be flopping, and I'm sure you don't want to have floating animations like naga slithing. If you have one of them as follower, they would have a hard time keeping up, even horkers can't keep up when running. They would also be handicapped when using weapons because they would mostly only hit the lower part of their enemy. They would also have a hard time reaching a chair, they would need somebody to carry them.

Maybe just install a few underwater portals to a huge underwater world with water that doesn't do damage.

That shoudn't be impossible, I've seen many people make houses. We could make one that is underwater.

oi, thats very true, but the tail would only be there for a few seconds, depending on the type of mer, that why i suggested mers that transform on land, and mers that stay tailed permanently, either way, they have enough tradeoffs in the water to still be considered helpful.

You actually came back, we thought that you have completely abandoned the project. I just thought you were like one of those creators who work on something and not finish, and gets the honor to tell people who ask you to continue it to shut the fuck up, I don't have time for that, don't tell me what to do. There are a few creators like that on nexus, besides the way you are posting it does look like you are likely to leave an unfinished project. Are there any chance you are going to upload a file, or you're just going to uploads videos?

oi, thats very true, but the tail would only be there for a few seconds, depending on the type of mer, that why i suggested mers that transform on land, and mers that stay tailed permanently, either way, they have enough tradeoffs in the water to still be considered helpful.

I thought you wanted mermaids with permanent tails even on land. They would have a hard time reaching a chair, and especially traveling and combat.

You actually came back, we thought that you have completely abandoned the project. I just thought you were like one of those creators who work on something and not finish, and gets the honor to tell people who ask you to continue it to shut the fuck up, I don't have time for that, don't tell me what to do. There are a few creators like that on nexus, besides the way you are posting it does look like you are likely to leave an unfinished project. Are there any chance you are going to upload a file, or you're just going to uploads videos?

I thought you wanted mermaids with permanent tails even on land. They would have a hard time reaching a chair, and especially traveling and combat.

well, like i said, make a few different mer races, and make some of them have permanent tails out of  water

Hey EB, thanks for coming back, even with this little proof that definetely fueled the hopes of many in this thread again.

As for the feedback: Well, yeah... it looks awesome for "just" an hour spent. Sure, it isn't much yet and there would still be a lot of work to do before we got something that could be an actual race mod. But with this the idea takes shape. I know this isn't really a feedback but honestly I don't really know what's to criticise this early. This is totally what I expected when I saw the thread "Mermaids"...

In general, I'd fancy if the mermaid race actually keeps some of those "fish traits" when they are on solid ground, as probably 95% of the action in Skyrim takes place onshore. So having a mermaid race which just looks like normal humans whenever they are walking around (which will probably still be most of the time) seems pretty wasted to me. For this reason I really love the picture that Xenos posted since it seems to be the perfect solution for a mermaid that is spending most of her time outside of any waterbodies. It still gives the player the feeling of playing a creature of the sea, no matter where you are.

So with what you created so far this idea is actually quite possible. Don't know if that is what you'd prefer or if you are more the "mermaid in water, human on land" kind of guy.

(As a little addendum: Since your post still sounded rather disappointed I'd recommend to just ignore people who turn out to be haters for the sake of hating. I mean there are always those people in life, be it school, university, job or anywhere else. One should try not to get affected by such people and concentrate on the stuff that matters, as everything else is just emotional baggage. Keep up the good work!)

Guest DeleteMePlease

I've quickly made a UV-Layout and texture for it as well as removed the feet and created a new Race. To me this is almost done beside missing animations and further variety. Currently there is a model gap at the hands and neck as I was in a hurry and didn't spend attention on correct weighting in that area. Also the transition from skin to scales is quite rough at the moment. Anyway, this will be fixed soon.

Screenshots:

post-126346-0-61044000-1386291609_thumb.jpgpost-126346-0-54988900-1386291731_thumb.jpgpost-126346-0-77343900-1386291752_thumb.jpgpost-126346-0-43597900-1386291769_thumb.jpgpost-126346-0-93154100-1386291790_thumb.jpgpost-126346-0-59535900-1386291801_thumb.jpg

oh my lord that tail looks good

oi, since animation was brought up, i had  an old suggestion: use the crawl on fours animations for simple "walking" but mod it a bit so the head looks forward, and for fighting or "standing" merfolk could "stand" on their "knee" though this eliminates the ability to jump, mount horses, move while fighting, or move with weapons out(im not sure about this one), but this does still leave the basic upper body functions(pull/push levers, chop wood, steal, fight, idle animations, sitting?) and since the animation is custom, maybe we can have underwater fighting?

oi, and for variety, i had some ideas:

the white skinned/blue tailed merhuman, the permanantly tailed orca(orcs?), the mermer (blue elves?), the legless/subrace of argonians(permanent tail),the brownskinned/gold tailed mers that live on beaches. oh, huh shark lycanhropy

About the textures, maybe the fin part of the tail should have fin textures instead of scales.

oi, since animation was brought up, i had  an old suggestion: use the crawl on fours animations for simple "walking" but mod it a bit so the head looks forward, and for fighting or "standing" merfolk could "stand" on their "knee" though this eliminates the ability to jump, mount horses, move while fighting, or move with weapons out(im not sure about this one), but this does still leave the basic upper body functions(pull/push levers, chop wood, steal, fight, idle animations, sitting?) and since the animation is custom, maybe we can have underwater fighting?

oi, and for variety, i had some ideas:

the white skinned/blue tailed merhuman, the permanantly tailed orca(orcs?), the mermer (blue elves?), the legless/subrace of argonians(permanent tail),the brownskinned/gold tailed mers that live on beaches. oh, huh shark lycanhropy

Do you realize if mermaids crawl on land, they would always be left behind if the player is running. When you think about it, mermaids have lower body of a fish's tail, so they technically don't have a knee. The part where the knees would be does not have a hinge joint, it could fold in any direction. But if it uses the animations for one leg part then there is a knee. Also if you were a mermaid you would rather be underwater than flop on land. Mermaids with permanent tails on land is like a fish on dry land. They would be helpless, and probably keeps on dying. It is not their natural habitat. But whatever floats your boat.

I hope you really do like these suggestions and not later on change your mind if it's already been made.

dolphins are not fish genius. they are mammals. mermaids are half fish, not half dolphin, or half shark. But if that's what you're aiming for. Reminds me of people who make mermaid costumes that can't find a decent monofin, they just made the fin part similar to the entire tail.

The recent pictures of mermaid is actually original and different from the OP's mermaid. The OP's mermaids does not have genitals and butt and has a thinner fin.