Super Smash Bros Ultimate mods?

I'm actually pretty surprised no one has raised this topic before.

So...with Pyra and Mythra being the newest addition to the Ultimate DLC roster, their designs are certainly a hot topic for many.

And since I saw switch games like Pokemon and BOTW here, and considering that ultimate has a very prolific costume modding scene (take summer byleth for example), I'm wondering if anyone had the bright idea to push the boundary somewhat to the logical extreme.

I'm pretty sure there's multiple tutorials on gamebanana to get people started, and everything should be wifi safe, since you're just replacing a costume on your console's end.

we have a big pokemon swsh thread though. plus you could always mod on the Yuzu switch emulator that doesnt have that rule

as for why no one talks about it much, its mostly because all the talk about modding nintendo games like pokemon and smash is mostly done on gamebanana and gamebanana affiliated discord channels. gamebanana technically allows adult mods but tends to look down on them, and the affiliated discord servers generally dont allow adult mods because they have a younger userbase. this is the case with the smash ultimate modding discord

• 4 weeks later...

Damn, it seems to be no good with Yuzu, which is how I play modded Switch. In my case, my only hope is to try and contact the mod creator and ask if there are any plans or considerations for a version that doesn't give compression errors in Ultimate Mod Manager with Yuzu.

23 minutes ago, JoeMesh said:

Thanks. Looks pretty nice. I'm too paranoid to hack my Switch just yet. So I'll  wait until I get a Switch Pro.

I think the decision to hack your switch should moreso be based on whether your switch is even hackable, rather than fear for a ban.

I won't go too far into it on this forum, but the short of it is that hacking allows you to make a secondary NAND (essentially a secondary copy of your switch) that you can use for all your homebrew, whilst keeping your main NAND pristine and safe.

38 minutes ago, Jinraider said:

I think the decision to hack your switch should moreso be based on whether your switch is even hackable, rather than fear for a ban.

I won't go too far into it on this forum, but the short of it is that hacking allows you to make a secondary NAND (essentially a secondary copy of your switch) that you can use for all your homebrew, whilst keeping your main NAND pristine and safe.

I have a day 1 launch unit so I know it's possible. It's just that my Switch is pretty much my most used console next to my PC and bricking it scares the shit out of me especially considering how hard they are to find right now.

1 hour ago, JoeMesh said:

I have a day 1 launch unit so I know it's possible. It's just that my Switch is pretty much my most used console next to my PC and bricking it scares the shit out of me especially considering how hard they are to find right now.

Again, I'm in the same boat... I love it too much to risk bricking it or messing it up some other way. Maybe if they really do make a Switch Pro and I fully upgrade to that, I can try hacking my current Switch to get that sweet sweet Pyra booty. Lol

Generally speaking, if you follow the guide to the letter, and are careful, the risk of a brick is very low. The only thing I can see being the biggest issue (as it was for me) is getting the switch into RCM mode, which can be daunting if you don't have the ability to get yourself a switch jig (by 3d printing or purchasing).

But that's just me. I'll admit; I think hacking the switch has been far more beneficial than words can carry, so I'm obviously biased, but I can see why people who use it so much are so afraid. If you really want to hack the switch beyond modding Smash, I'd talk to the guys at the Nintendo Homebrew discord for you to ask questions and lay down your fears to them.

Thanks for the encouragement! I do actually own a 3D printer, so this would be a great use for it. Like I've mentioned, I'll definitely think about it if the whole Switch Pro thing is real and I upgrade to one of those. I do love my Switch though, so I'm quite risk-averse.

Decided to mess with modding Ultimate, not planning on doing much other than custom music, though. But yeah...you'd think this game would have plenty of nude/bikini skins already. Why just Pyra? I don't really care for her honestly. xD (despite being a big perv, she just felt out of place compared to everyone else in Xenoblade 2, lol)

• 2 weeks later...