I have, on a frequent basis, observed little things that I remember growing up that younger folks just don't understand.

Have decided to post a few things here, to share observations and expectations.

Here are two examples:

When I was growing up, sticking a playing card (or other junk) in your bicycle spokes was how you pimped your ride.  Now you can't do it without carbon fibre.  WTF?

I told someone the other day, who was trying to fix something, to jiggle the handle.  She had no idea what I was talking about.  

This event caused me to think of two things pretty quickly. One-Her dad must have had mad plumber skillz and second; it made me wonder, how soon till we have digital toilets?

Anyone else got any observations on the generational or geriatrical gap(s)?

Ditto for the Dos games. Remember Battlechess? I remember when the family got the NES and being just in awe of it. Keep in mind, this was after years of Atari games like Pitfall and Space Invaders. And then the Snes came out, and it was jaw dropping at the time. My parents couldn't afford a higher end PC so I missed out on the better stuff, like early Doom, Quake, Half Life, stuff like that. It wasn't until I was an adult and could afford my own gaming PC that I finally made the shift away from consoles to computer gaming. Wish I'd done it sooner.

Also, super obscure game I did get to play at my cousin's house, anybody remember Shivers?

Speaking of old games, anyone else play River Raid?  That used to draw friends over to my house to play, which reminds me of another old thing that 'modern' kids have no concept of: the super long curly cord for the kitchen phone handset, which allowed you to carry the phone from the kitchen to the living room couch, if you carefully navigated around the dining room furniture and tried not to clothesline anyone else in the house, when your parent didn't want to get up to answer the phone.

Emily used to play this game when she was small...

litil_divil.gif

litil divil.

The first animated occult game she ever had.

It was strange at first for a little girl who witness dungeon and fantasy looney hell with muscle, ogre, spider and gigantic half naked mermaid and endless devious torture chamber on game over.. with an ugly torturers and even more uglier prisoner and dark and damp dungeons..

Suddenly this become part of her mind. Emily know she is strange.

But. what are you?

I dont age, im a mad ancient vampire

Ive witnessed however, the passing of eras, I remember DOS and windows 3.1 as the first operative systems I ever used

I remember listening to some of the first rock bands and musical phenomena

I remember many good things from older days and way back...

Now Ive seen kids who dont even know what Star Wars is

Never played chess in DOS, never played DOOM or Wolfenstein or the old Prince of Persia

Teenagers who never listened to The Beatles, Queen, Guns N Roses, or Pink Floyd, or Nirvana , not to mention any knowledge of the existence of classical music, Chopin, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Mozart... and think the definition of music is "Gangnam Style" and Justin Bieber (I just puked in my mouth)

Do I feel old? old as fuck, cant even connect with people from this generation

The good days are gone...

Hey, the "golden age" of video games might be over, but I'm happy people are still gaming. I don't think the best is behind us, and in fact feel excited over the innovations that have come out of the gaming industry in just the past few years. I look forward to seeing what direction gaming takes in the future, and I hope they continue to push boundaries and overcome challenges. It's the way any industry survives, through evolution.

Short answer: Yes ;)

playing old DOS-Games

386 back then... man, thast were times :D

I remember - uhm epic battles versus IRQs, DMAs, EMS, XMS and Jumpers :P

@Slammer64 - I'm sorry when I was harsh in my last conversation.
Peace

I remember merry-go-rounds.

Shame kids today cant play on them anymore because some stupid fuck was being a stupid fuck.

EDIT: And play grounds in general.  I remember driving by my old primary school recently and seeing that the playground that I had spent so much time on as a kid was gone, not even the swings were left.  That hurt me a lot.

I don't think I'm old, but it's funny how things change even within a few years. Only a short while ago, I would have never said no to a night out with friends, getting absolutely smashed in a club somewhere till really ridiculously late in the night (or morning) of the next day, etc. These days though, the hangovers are worse, and I generally find no more pleasure in the wild partying with no other aim than getting absolutely trolleyed on a night out.

To give you an example, I'd much rather hang out in something of a "classier" establishment, with a few cocktails or nice pints, a decent atmosphere, music that isn't deafeningly loud, and instead having a nice chat with mates like in a booth or something like that, were you can really enjoy each other's company and what your friends have to say, rather than shouting till your throat hurts... not to mention these days the hangovers are real bitches. 

That and judging people who are younger than me... so yeah, time ey?

I was actually working on a computer today that was running Windows XP. My god, that interface feels ancient. It felt pretty nostalgic.

Im Still Useing Windows XP .......

I Remember Buying Computer Magazines With My Pocket Money And Sitting For Hours Typing In Programs To Play On My ZX81 ....

I remember being Dads tv remote.

I remember 'dialing' the phone number.

I remember 'Duck and Cover' drills at school. "If you see a bright flash, Duck and Cover!"

I remember watching Cpt. Kirk pull this little fliptop box out of his pocket and calling his ship,
with Uhura answering with this thing sticking out of her ear.
Now, everyone just dies if they don't have one or a hands free model.

I remember playing with sticks for pretend guns in the back yard and wondering if my older
brother would be doing it for real when he was elegable for the draft.

I remember turning the pages of an encyclopedia as apposed to clicking a link.

I remember check tubes from the tv at the hardware store and picking up new ones.

I remember working on a car with nothing more than a set of end-wrenches, a
socket set, a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of pliers. (all s.a.e., no metric).

I remember when BBBoards were the internet.

Am I getting old? Naw, too much new stuff to check out and play with to feel old ;)

Mem

I have vague memories of trying to learn programming on a BBC Computer designed by our own engineers when I worked at the World Service in Bush House, London - I think that maybe I am getting old.  

5 inch floppy discs (I still have a working drive for those somewhere)

Win 3.1 seemed so advanced when I got it, and I was one of the first people where I now live to have internet access though it was very sporadic o_O LOL

I don't think I'm old, but it's funny how things change even within a few years. Only a short while ago, I would have never said no to a night out with friends, getting absolutely smashed in a club somewhere till really ridiculously late in the night (or morning) of the next day, etc. These days though, the hangovers are worse, and I generally find no more pleasure in the wild partying with no other aim than getting absolutely trolleyed on a night out.

To give you an example, I'd much rather hang out in something of a "classier" establishment, with a few cocktails or nice pints, a decent atmosphere, music that isn't deafeningly loud, and instead having a nice chat with mates like in a booth or something like that, were you can really enjoy each other's company and what your friends have to say, rather than shouting till your throat hurts... not to mention these days the hangovers are real bitches. 

That and judging people who are younger than me... so yeah, time ey?

It's funny. I've never really enjoyed a "nights out" and I was never really drunk. First time I went out to a club I was around 25 but I'm a bit of loner really, or I was simply born old. :P

I think it's hard to have a decent conversation when the music is so loud you have to scream into people's ears. I like the pre-parties better, where just a few people gather and you can be yourself. It's kinda cozy.

I have also noticed relationships and other things have gone down in ages lately. When I went to school, no one in my class had a serious relationship, not even in college(but we were a nerdy nature-science class). Before that we had some weird trend to "ask for a chance" on a girl when we were in 5th grade but hey that doesn't count. Now they start having real relationships at 13, all kids have an iphone and they start using computers around the age of 7.

Personally I think age is just a number. I'm 34 but I look and feel younger so I see myself as young. I don't know where the line goes and I don't think you are really old until 50+.

Emily always finds there are too many dangerous teen got themselves chased down by the cops lately, happens every friday to sunday night.

Then Emily pause for a thought how age passed so easily and how the children lost their innocent and turn into junkies and punks as they grow.