Animation registration is taking longer than normal.

When I run SL Animation loader the time it take for animations to register is really long.

If I look at it in the console it is taking around 1 sec per animation, it used to be able to do 10-20 in a second. 

Not sure when this started, anyone know what can cause it?

I am not anywhere near the animation limit and I am getting no warnings or errors in FNIS.

5 minutes ago, anjenthedog said:

How many animations have you installed and registered? I found that regardless of using all the bells and whistles to increase my animation counts, more than around 700 or so cause scripting to slow to a crawl. 

451 standard and 417 creature

7 hours ago, Fredfish said:

Did you enable creature animations in SL? SLAL seems to take longer if it tries and fails to instal the creature animations.

Yes creatures are enabled

6 hours ago, Lestat1627 said:

It's silly but, have you checked into SexLab setting, timing and striptease?

Checked it for? I have set up those pages but I didn't notice anything odd or off about them

it would be interesting to know if it is a generic fact, or an occasional one.

for example, it happens to me that, when an NPC's decides to have a rough sex match, based on the role he decides to play, the animations run smoothly, or rather quickly by passing the set time. If it's such a case, I think it's understandable to the victim that it's quick . However, the mystery remains that, when we are the aggressors, the execution time is integral

5 hours ago, Lestat1627 said:

it would be interesting to know if it is a generic fact, or an occasional one.

for example, it happens to me that, when an NPC's decides to have a rough sex match, based on the role he decides to play, the animations run smoothly, or rather quickly by passing the set time. If it's such a case, I think it's understandable to the victim that it's quick . However, the mystery remains that, when we are the aggressors, the execution time is integral

Hmm.. maybe some reply is hidden from my view and I'm not seeing the context of your post, but afaik, the OP was talking about the maintenance action of registering animations using SLAL, not actually running an animation.

20 per second seems pretty fast in my experience, (never seen nearly that snappy response) but 1 second per animation registration seems a bit slow. I get around 3 per second, maybe 4 (I haven't actually measured it)

5 hours ago, anjenthedog said:

Hmm.. maybe some reply is hidden from my view and I'm not seeing the context of your post, but afaik, the OP was talking about the maintenance action of registering animations using SLAL, not actually running an animation.

20 per second seems pretty fast in my experience, (never seen nearly that snappy response) but 1 second per animation registration seems a bit slow. I get around 3 per second, maybe 4 (I haven't actually measured it)

This is correct, it is in the maintenance that I am seeing this issue. 

I am concerned it is a symptom of a greater problem that might have game play consequences though. 

If it is just a matter of waiting longer for everything to register, no big deal, right? ?

Since I started using SLAL in SE I had long registering animations times. I'm not sure where, but I recall reading** comments about it and yeah, it seems that SLAL registering is considerably slower in SE than in LE (and I think some other MCM menu options too, but I haven't done my fair share of testing to support this idea).

Edit: **2 sec after pressing reply I found the post I likely remember here https://www.loverslab.com/topic/147677-le-vs-se-script-initialization-speed/

20 minutes ago, Corsayr said:

This is correct, it is in the maintenance that I am seeing this issue. 

I am concerned it is a symptom of a greater problem that might have game play consequences though. 

If it is just a matter of waiting longer for everything to register, no big deal, right? ?

It's not lightning fast, or at least has never been lightning fast on my computer (9700K, 4.6GHZ, plenty of memory, SSD).

It *can slow down when script lag becomes evident, as I have seen personally on a few occasions but seem to have fixed for the most part. (mainly from back when I was running 1.5.80/2.0.16)

Yes, unless it's taking a huge amount of time (like many seconds per registration see my note above*) it's just a "twiddle your thumbs" issue and you just have to accept the delay, especially when initially registering large number of animations. ... or when unregistering animations, because for some ungodly reason it parses the entire list when unregistering them, so if you have 700 animations installed, it takes quite a while to complete even unregistering a few animations (as is evident when monitored via console), although when viewed by mcm it *appears to be done far earlier than it actually is... 

on the plus side, registering a small handful to add to an already large listing is quick, but not the other way around for some reason 

39 minutes ago, Just Don't said:

Since I started using SLAL in SE I had long registering animations times. I'm not sure where, but I recall reading** comments about it and yeah, it seems that SLAL registering is considerably slower in SE than in LE (and I think some other MCM menu options too, but I haven't done my fair share of testing to support this idea).

Edit: **2 sec after pressing reply I found the post I likely remember here https://www.loverslab.com/topic/147677-le-vs-se-script-initialization-speed/

that article matches my personal experience.  Having said that, I don't think it has anything to do with the mod manager used (OP suggests a correlation between the lag and MO2) 

I just think script ***processing*** in SE may be slower. since this is really about script processing, not script setup.  Maybe some additional security routines, or just poorly coded in comparison... honestly, I don't know anything about the underpinnings in either version, but I suspect that many algorithms in SE are far from "optimized", perhaps due to some coding restrictions that apply within this framework that don't within the LE framework, or just code bloat for from overly canonical programming techniques.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 7:37 PM, Corsayr said:

I guess as long as it doesn't seem to cause any in game problems it isn't an issue.

Thank you everyone for your replies. ?

The fact that registration takes so long is not normal. The first time I started using SE, I thought it was okay here. But then I figured out a little with the fact that I had it installed and the registration of animations became as fast as in LE. It seems that after I removed the Animation Limit Crash Fix SSE everything started working fine. SSE Engine Fixes is essentially doing the same thing and seems to be in conflict with each other.

Edit: hahah, the mod page says that they are incompatible ?

4 hours ago, Izolenta said:

The fact that registration takes so long is not normal. The first time I started using SE, I thought it was okay here. But then I figured out a little with the fact that I had it installed and the registration of animations became as fast as in LE. It seems that after I removed the Animation Limit Crash Fix SSE everything started working fine. SSE Engine Fixes is essentially doing the same thing and seems to be in conflict with each other.

Anim crash fix slowing things down could make sense. But the incompatibility part is just if you ignore install instructions and leave the AnimationLoadSignedCrash from Engine Fixes enabled. If you check the FAQ in Anim limit crash fix you'll see Engine Fixes only doubles the limit for animations (the limit for FNIS XXL is ~32k, with Engine Fixes the number is ~65k). Anim limit crash fix should virtually ignore any limit, allowing you to go even above ~65k.

Perhaps doing some tests to see if using Engine Fixes alone with proper settings and no Anim limit crash fix allows for faster registering times in SLAL is worth the effort. But there is also the potential performance gains from Anim limit crash fix, which may be noticeable for some people.

3 hours ago, Izolenta said:

Thank you for the response

Sadly I don't have Animation Limit Crash fix so that is not the issue here. (it would have been nice to find out what is causing it.) ?

But all input is appreciated