FNIS problems (ERROR (5))

Hello,

I got something like below when I run my FNIS behavior.

ERROR (5): The output byte buffer is not sufficient to store encoded data, encoding is 'Unicode (UTF-8)' reserve 'System.Text.EncoderReplacementFallback'.
Parameter Name: bytes 

I have tried to reinstall the FNIS behavior, it doesnt fix the problem. May someone help with it?

Verify your Windows user account has admin rights. And if you currently have Steam/Skyrim/any mod files installed in "...\Program Files" you might want to reconsider that. The FNIS description and Fore's comments strongly hint it's a bad idea to keep FNIS or your games in "Program Files" because it's a system directory and file access/permissions can be an issue.

• How to move your Steam Library (it could affect your other Steam games and applications, so be sure to read the instructions carefully and check what you have installed before/after). 
  • How to disable UAC (if you're not confident in moving your whole Library).
8 hours ago, Just Don't said:

Verify your Windows user account has admin rights. And if you currently have Steam/Skyrim/any mod files installed in "...\Program Files" you might want to reconsider that. The FNIS description and Fore's comments strongly hint it's a bad idea to keep FNIS or your games in "Program Files" because it's a system directory and file access/permissions can be an issue.

• How to move your Steam Library (it could affect your other Steam games and applications, so be sure to read the instructions carefully and check what you have installed before/after). 
  • How to disable UAC (if you're not confident in moving your whole Library).

Thanks for your reply, but I have admin rights in my account and also my game and mod files are all in J://, The fnis 7.6 works for me before. 

I tried to install FINS 7.5.1 and it works, but I am resulting low fps. So I really want my FNIS 7.6 back.

Error 5 usually has to do with file access/permissions, that's why I went for the check admin rights/disable UAC or move things outside of Program Files. I've never seen this line tho "The output byte buffer is not sufficient to store encoded data...".

As you say it was working before then something had to change. Weird that going for a previous version works but a reinstall of the latest one doesn't. Are you sure the install is being completed properly and there are no traces of old versions after a reinstall?

6 hours ago, Just Don't said:

Error 5 usually has to do with file access/permissions, that's why I went for the check admin rights/disable UAC or move things outside of Program Files. I've never seen this line tho "The output byte buffer is not sufficient to store encoded data...".

As you say it was working before then something had to change. Weird that going for a previous version works but a reinstall of the latest one doesn't. Are you sure the install is being completed properly and there are no traces of old versions after a reinstall?

It is a total completely reinstall, I download the file from nexus again, and use Vortex to install it.

I feel confuse too, I dont think I have change something, I just simply disable some mods I dont use. Will it be the cause?

I have no idea which mods you're talking about. But disabling mods does sound like making a change.

Sadly I don't use Vortex and I've never seen that error line in particular. All I can recommend here is to trace your steps back and try to undo whatever you did prior to FNIS not working.

• 5 months later...

A bit late but for people searching and finding no answer here's how i fixed it

Control panel

Region

Administrative tab

Change system locale

Remove the check mark next to Beta: Use UTF-8 for worldwide language support.

Restart PC and hopefully it will work for you too.

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2021 at 2:57 PM, djsap321 said:

A bit late but for people searching and finding no answer here's how i fixed it

Control panel

Region

Administrative tab

Change system locale

Remove the check mark next to Beta: Use UTF-8 for worldwide language support.

Restart PC and hopefully it will work for you too.

Thank you very much dude!!! I searched for the solution for a few days and was ready to admit a failure, but your advice helped me, and i my FNIS is finally working!