Fox Replacer for Lykaios Race (Now includes Raccoons)

Fox Replacer for Lykaios Race (Now includes Raccoons)

View File

As the title indicates, this mod makes the wolfish Lykaios race into foxes or raccoons. The inspiration for this mod came from the female fox texture resource created by poblivion. The textures from that resource are included in this mod along with new male fox textures and raccoon textures (all modified from Lykaios textures).  Head meshes are all modified from the Lykaios (and YA Nord) race.

Version 2.2 includes an update for the foxes and raccoons.

Compatibility:

This mod is intended for the standalone Lykaios race and Yiffy Age of Skyrim's Nord race. Version 2.2 of the Fox Replacer is only compatible with Yiffy Age and versions 2.8 and later of the standalone Lykaios Race Reborn/SSE. Earlier versions of the Fox Replacer are compatible with Yiffy Age, but can only be used with versions 2.7 and earlier of the standalone Lykaios race.

Also, male textures are for SOS. The default female texture is for UNP, but there are CBBE compatible textures inside the female texture folder that you can use instead. 

Installation:

You can install the mod manually or use Mod Organizer (2). If using Mod Organizer (2), make sure this mod overwrites the Lykaios Race (or Yiffy Age of Skyrim) by giving it higher priority in the left pane window.

Versions prior to 2.1

In earlier versions of the mod, the fox and raccoon heads only replace the player's head. Additionally, the fox and raccoon heads need to be imported via RaceMenu; otherwise, the original wolf head remains.

Version 2.0

The head meshes with YA in their name can only be used for Yiffy Age. Meshes without YA in their name must be used with the standalone race. 

Version 1.1

YA fox users: be sure to download version 1.1 of the fox replacer in order to get the fox textures. Replace the head meshes with those included in the separate download Fox Heads for Yiffy Age.rar. There are two male fox heads available (the second head has larger eyes than the first): choose one or both of them.

Raccoon users: navigate through the SKSE folder until you arrive at the CharGen folder. Depending on your version of Skyrim, go into the LE or SE folder and move the appropriate head meshes up into the CharGen folder (i.e., move the nif files one folder up).

Credits:

Bad Dog, Krittakitty, Blaze69, poblvion, xSkulleh, ASlySpyDuo

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    08/12/2020
  • Category
  • Requires
    Lykaios Reborn or Yiffy Age of Skyrim
  • Regular Edition Compatible
    Yes

12 minutes ago, Bhunivelze said:

I tested this mod on the LE version with the standalone Lykaios race and so far it works as intended. The only issue I have is with importing the female heads. The males work just fine, but when I do the same for females I get a failed to export message.  Any reason why?

The file may be corrupted because the female head looks weird in NifSkope.

X1.png

8 hours ago, theshiba said:

If someone is able to successfully import the fox heads without a mesh explosion occurring please let me know so that I can make an appropriate update to this mod page.

No can do since different vert count on both head and mouth so only works on old deprecated pre-YA 8 heads with visible neck seams.

1 hour ago, poblivion said:

The file may be corrupted

The female head is in SE format since it was presumably exported in SE RaceMenu while the male head is the original LE one. The female head should work if it's converted back to LE format with CAO, Nif Optimizer, nifopt or any other tool since there's quite a few of them by now.

15 minutes ago, ASlySpyDuo said:

No can do since different vert count on both head and mouth so only works on old deprecated pre-YA 8 heads with visible neck seams.

The female head is in SE format since it was presumably exported in SE RaceMenu while the male head is the original LE one. The female head should work if it's converted back to LE format with CAO, Nif Optimizer, nifopt or any other tool since there's quite a few of them by now.

Thank you for the explanation ?

VixenHead.nif

I used  SSE NIF Optimizer and head now looks OK (I haven't tried it in the game)

4 hours ago, ASlySpyDuo said:

Thanks for the information! I'll update the mod page soon.

4 hours ago, dweezer said:

I'm curious, would it be possible to use these new assets to overwrite the existing breton ones in YA, if the files are renamed appropriately? Or are there talks to do this officially?

As ASlySpyDuo mentioned earlier in this thread, the vertex count for the mouth and head for YA Lykaios is different than the standalone race; therefore, the head meshes included in this mod cannot be imported into RaceMenu for YA. Although, if you use an old enough version of YA (one that uses the old head model), I believe you can successfully import the head meshes.

As to your second question, I have not heard any official talk of a revamping of the Bretons besides just an expression of desire by some to improve upon them. Someone would need to sculpt a new head mesh. I've tried contacting xSkulleh to see if they'd be up for the task, but I've yet to hear back from them.

I did make the vixen head by using xSkulleh's fox head as a base, and I'm mostly finished with a raccoon head (also modified from the fox head). However, I don't feel confident enough at the moment to make a fox head from scratch (well from the original Lykaios head).

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update for those that aren't on the YA discord. I'll be adding to this mod in the near future to include fox heads for YA as well as raccoon heads for YA and the standalone Lykaios race. Here's the progress thus far:

YA Fox Head (got it pretty darn close to xSkulleh's original version)

76730749_SkyrimSpecialEdition8_31_202012_58_00AM.thumb.png.7e926a760a009c915353ed19e6459ee5.png

YA Vixen Head

1855604166_SkyrimSpecialEdition8_31_20204_53_40PM.thumb.png.c3788688299b1b4dc184e84126ed8215.png

YA Raccoon Head

803412174_SkyrimSpecialEdition9_1_20206_55_07PM.thumb.png.e0c460fd1c733431c160bff987736989.png

YA Fem Raccoon Head

1285156156_SkyrimSpecialEdition9_2_20202_54_56PM.thumb.png.da03ab63a6664e1c71c9861f26cadb44.png

yes. nice

On 9/3/2020 at 8:33 AM, Bhunivelze said:

Nice work on the heads. YA foxes definitely could use an updated head mesh and I also really like the new raccoon heads. 

i have some constructive criticism about the YA foxes. they dont look like foxes just fox coloured dogs. shame someone really needs to do a proper remodel of the Fennec race. 

42 minutes ago, Pleasemadam said:

If there's a version for YA, why not just make the fox heads replace the fox race meshes instead of the lykaios?

Because the "fox race meshes" are CITRUS-based, as opposed to these heads which are Lykaios-based, so they aren't cross-compatible. The only way to do so would be to edit the Breton/Fox data to point to Lykaios head meshes and morphs and then re-export FaceGen data for all Breton NPCs in the game, which is quite the task. Bad Dog has mentioned wanting to overhaul foxes with new/better assets and he's been sent these heads so he may eventually update YA to have foxes use these new heads by default indeed.

On 9/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, Trevjake09 said:

I think it would be super cool to make the raccoon replacer replace the woodelves in YA. I don't know I think it just fits more than tigers.

It's about the theme, though. All the human races become canines, and all the elves are felines. Raccoons are closer to dogs and bears than cats. 

Hey, just wanted to mention that I tried the raccoon replacer for YA SE 2.1 in Skyrim VR and it worked great!

One question-- Lykaios are probably my favorite YA race, so I really don't want to replace them-- can I also install Lykaios Reborn in addition to YA and just use the Lykaios Reborn Raccoon replacer to change the NPCs added by the standalone race mod, or will this also overwrite the Nord Lykaios from YA?

Update: I tried this but got a CTD when I tried selecting the standalone Lykaios on character creation. Guess I'll have to hope for a standalone version with NPCs!

I'm actually here to ask a question similar to Nonnaya. I have a couple of fully fleshed out Lykaios characters from the Lykaois Reborn mod, so I dont want to replace anything. But raccoon, yes. Want. Any plans to make a standalone? Or does this replace the old lykaios race mod?