Sims File Keeps Crashing using Oniki's Mod

Hiya,

I've been using Oniki's Kinky Mod for a while now, but recently one of my saves have crashed continually. I am at the point where the game will always crash within 3-5 in game hours of loading a save. Here is the Nraas ErrorTrap output for a typical crash:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<ScriptError Version="6" Type="MiniScriptError">
  <ExceptionData>Oniki.KinkyMod v0.6.1 (399)

System.NullReferenceException: A null value was found where an object instance was required.
#0: 0x00460 callvirt   in Oniki.Gameplay.Oniki.Gameplay.SimRelation:OnSocialInteraction (Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.Event) ([6CF211E0] )
#1: 0x00000            in Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.ProcessEventDelegate:Invoke (Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.Event) (4E013028 [6CF211E0] )
#2: 0x00007 callvirt   in Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.DelegateListener:ProcessEvent (Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.Event) (4E887CE0 [6CF211E0] )
#3: 0x00054 callvirt   in Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.EventTracker:ProcessEvent (Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.Event) (51B1F3D8 [6CF211E0] )
#4: 0x0000e callvirt   in Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.EventTracker:SendEvent (Sims3.Gameplay.EventSystem.Event) ([6CF211E0] )
#5: 0x007b5 call       in Sims3.Gameplay.Socializing.Sims3.Gameplay.Socializing.SocialInteractionA:Run () ()
#6: 0x000db stloc.u1   in Sims3.Gameplay.Interactions.Sims3.Gameplay.Interactions.InteractionInstance:RunInteractionWithoutCleanup () ()
#7: 0x00348 stloc.u1   in Sims3.Gameplay.ActorSystems.Sims3.Gameplay.ActorSystems.InteractionQueue:ProcessOneInteraction () ()
#8: 0x0011c stfld.u1   in Sims3.Gameplay.Actors.Sims3.Gameplay.Actors.Sim:DoInteraction () ()
#9: 0x00015 br.s       in Sims3.Gameplay.Actors.Sims3.Gameplay.Actors.Sim:Simulate () ()
#10: 0x00027 leave.s    in ScriptCore.ScriptCore.ScriptProxy:Simulate () ()
</ExceptionData>
</ScriptError>

Things I have tried:

Resetting all objects in the town via MasterController

Uninstalling and disabling Kinky world

Removing excess CC

Any help would be appreciated.

Error logs to me are like saying ' someone with a bullet hole in their head was killed by a gun'.

So you've: Been using KW for a while with no problems.

Only have this trouble with 'ONE' of your saves.

This particular series of saves (Assuming you use NRaas Saver and have 4 rotating saves) will run fine for a short amount of time, and then unfailingly CTD after a similar amount of time.

These are decent enough symptoms to begin an autopsy with.

1) This NEVER happens on any other saves or 'new games'? (Rules out KW as the actual culprit)

2) Resetting the game world doesn't clean up any object based scripts which might be creating some sort of cascade effect within the game code.

3) If it still happens with KW disabled and uninstalled - how can it (KW) be referenced in a script error?

4) How long have you been using this save series, and how big is the save file?

Possible fixes: Remove/save all wanted families/lots to the EDIT TOWN BIN - Start a new game in the same town, and replace the old bin saved families/lots into the new 'world'.

Try using Kuree's Save Cleaner.

Try sending the active family on vacation if you have World Adventures - Or to another Town through the mover function, and then back.

(These are an attempt to get the game to clear whatever is lurking in the background BEFORE it begins to affect game play)

Without having confirmed answers to the 'autopsy' statements/questions above, this is the best I can suggest since everybody's computer, mod list, and playing history are different.

>>> I remember one time the Grim Reaper took a teen daughter from my family and I was 'devastated'. I reloaded the save and it happened again right around the same time - fate had her number. So I reloaded again, and had the parents home when it happened - which it did and was able to plead for her life, and she was spared. The reason I share this anecdote is The Sims would appear to have certain scripted events stored in that days 'planner' which we can't see, so it's possible a hidden event is triggering a situation which causes a CTD in this particular save. The 'stars are all aligned' so to speak and time exposes the issue. I'm just trying to avoid this particular 'butterfly effect' with my suggestions given what's been written about the issue.

- Would you feel comfortable playing a different family/Active household and see if the CTD still happens on this day?

- Did you manually run NRaas/Overwatch again during the day? (Be sure to include active household in the settings during this)

I could give suggestions all day, but without experiencing the problem myself - it's like playing the lottery.

2 BIG past issues which caused unstoppable CTD's for me were:

> Bad Hair CC which caused an instant CTD when the game attempted to draw it from town view. ( I did figure that one out and fixed it )

> Using immigration to repopulate a town which was losing sims over time created some problem which caused my save to CTD shortly after loading and I had to go back to a save before I turned immigration on if I wanted to proceed. Lucky for me experience has taught me to create 'new' save/names when making important changes to the game or save series so I can always return to a stable version before something undesirable was introduced.

TRIVIA: I've been running the same 'saves and install' for over 8 years on 3 different computers by copying and pasting relevant files from the Sims to new installs on new computers. Used an external HD to achieve this and only left certain .ini files intact which were relevant to the new system. Windows needs a good working registry so I had to 'install' the game fresh before transferring the old data. (Yes - the original install is renamed as an archive before proceeding)

Win 3.2

th?id=OIP._Fi3DiaXBLX04XNHrwGjzAHaGc%26p

Win10

th?id=OIP.yVLg5_qG4YAvXWyyyWLvHgHaFj%26p

Same Hamster running the show.....

On 8/7/2020 at 9:51 AM, landess said:

Error logs to me are like saying ' someone with a bullet hole in their head was killed by a gun'.

So you've: Been using KW for a while with no problems.

Only have this trouble with 'ONE' of your saves.

This particular series of saves (Assuming you use NRaas Saver and have 4 rotating saves) will run fine for a short amount of time, and then unfailingly CTD after a similar amount of time.

These are decent enough symptoms to begin an autopsy with.

Wow, a wall of text for a random user like me? ?

So to start answering some questions here: Yes, somewhat, and no. For the second one, this has happened on one other file, where after a long period of usage, random crashes would start occurring.

I don't use Nraas Saver, it didn't seem integral to me. I already save often and don't need a reminder.

1) This NEVER happens on any other saves or 'new games'? (Rules out KW as the actual culprit)

2) Resetting the game world doesn't clean up any object based scripts which might be creating some sort of cascade effect within the game code.

3) If it still happens with KW disabled and uninstalled - how can it (KW) be referenced in a script error?

4) How long have you been using this save series, and how big is the save file?

1) Yes this happens on one other save, but it also uses KW.

2) You mean resetting everything via MasterController?

3) That's a good point. I will get back to you on that. EDIT: After uninstalling KW, my sims do nothing for 3 in-game hours, and then game crashes. No error report is logged for this crash.

4) Around 5-6 months, the whole save folder is 319 MB.

Possible fixes: Remove/save all wanted families/lots to the EDIT TOWN BIN - Start a new game in the same town, and replace the old bin saved families/lots into the new 'world'.

Try using Kuree's Save Cleaner.

Try sending the active family on vacation if you have World Adventures - Or to another Town through the mover function, and then back.

(These are an attempt to get the game to clear whatever is lurking in the background BEFORE it begins to affect game play)

Without having confirmed answers to the 'autopsy' statements/questions above, this is the best I can suggest since everybody's computer, mod list, and playing history are different.

I'm working on a much earlier version right now, so not sure if moving a bunch of families to a new town is the right solution.

I could try the vacation... if you move back, does everything (relationships, skills, jobs) reset for everyone in that neighborhood?

>>> I remember one time the Grim Reaper took a teen daughter from my family and I was 'devastated'. I reloaded the save and it happened again right around the same time - fate had her number. So I reloaded again, and had the parents home when it happened - which it did and was able to plead for her life, and she was spared. The reason I share this anecdote is The Sims would appear to have certain scripted events stored in that days 'planner' which we can't see, so it's possible a hidden event is triggering a situation which causes a CTD in this particular save. The 'stars are all aligned' so to speak and time exposes the issue. I'm just trying to avoid this particular 'butterfly effect' with my suggestions given what's been written about the issue.

- Would you feel comfortable playing a different family/Active household and see if the CTD still happens on this day?

- Did you manually run NRaas/Overwatch again during the day? (Be sure to include active household in the settings during this)

I switch between families all the time when I play. The crash time differs a bit depending on the family, but it still happens eventually.

I have Overwatch running, fixing frozen Sims and turning off TVs removing parked cars & etc. Are there any specific things I should be doing through Overwatch?

I could give suggestions all day, but without experiencing the problem myself - it's like playing the lottery.

2 BIG past issues which caused unstoppable CTD's for me were:

> Bad Hair CC which caused an instant CTD when the game attempted to draw it from town view. ( I did figure that one out and fixed it )

> Using immigration to repopulate a town which was losing sims over time created some problem which caused my save to CTD shortly after loading and I had to go back to a save before I turned immigration on if I wanted to proceed. Lucky for me experience has taught me to create 'new' save/names when making important changes to the game or save series so I can always return to a stable version before something undesirable was introduced.

TRIVIA: I've been running the same 'saves and install' for over 8 years on 3 different computers by copying and pasting relevant files from the Sims to new installs on new computers. Used an external HD to achieve this and only left certain .ini files intact which were relevant to the new system. Windows needs a good working registry so I had to 'install' the game fresh before transferring the old data. (Yes - the original install is renamed as an archive before proceeding)

Win 3.2

Win10

Same Hamster running the show.....

Don't think it is bad CC.

I don't follow your last point there, but I am running Windows 10 on a very powerful desktop. It can handle some graphics-intensive games.

Thanks a bundle!

May I ask what game version you have?

It's the latest version, 1.67.2.

21 hours ago, BBSoul said:

Wow, a wall of text for a random user like me?

I hope anyone using the search feature might also find solutions - so I try to be inclusive as well as expounding on fringe concepts.

Nraas Saver, it didn't seem integral to me.

This is basically so every 1/2 hour it pops up and saves using 4 rotating 'slots' - why I called it a series.

You mean resetting everything via MasterController?

This part was mostly 'confirming' what you said so I could take this info, and set it aside as fact. - yes - the reset world feature which usually ends up with around 30k objects reset. Usually clears scripts attached to them.

Around 5-6 months, the whole save folder is 319 MB

It's possible the save just has too much baggage. This is why I mentioned Kuree's save cleaner. While there are some drawbacks if care isn't taken for some objects like photos and paintings being lost, what it does in stabilizing the save can't be overstated. Considering you DO play multiple households frequently. each active house will acquire many files which aren't necessary to an 'inactive' house to function, yet the files are still there, which is more 'baggage' so to speak.

I'm working on a much earlier version right now, so not sure if moving a bunch of families to a new town is the right solution.

I could try the vacation... if you move back, does everything (relationships, skills, jobs) reset for everyone in that neighborhood?

Vacation simply reloads a town differently from a typical save. This is why people have had problem with sims and objects after taking vacation. NRaas has several plug-ins for Master Controller which address the problems yet the basic function remains the same - meaning it should also clear script problems because it's sort of like starting a new game with a saved set of Information. (When a player starts a new game using an EA town, there are already Sims living there with jobs, relationships, etc.) Without checking, I can probably add this is why Pregnant Sims can't 'travel'.

Are there any specific things I should be doing through Overwatch?

None other than recommended by OnikiKay for KW - I was simply saying to run it manually during the day while playing instead of waiting for the default 3:AM initialization of the program.

I don't follow your last point there

I was more or less sharing a couple serious issues I had faced in the past. Most everything I've been able to iron out or bypass. The point is The Sims 3 is an x86 based program, and while Windows has gotten 'fancy' over the years, I've been able to run the same save games and mods from many years ago on various computers I've owned.

I've been running KW for many years, and it's the main reason I continue to play the Sims 3 - along with many excellent CC uploads by talented artists. The fact you have a good system is just another reason rule-out weak processing power and look at a file issue as being the culprit. Since it only happens on certain saves is a red flag that the problem is not just the Sims 3 or KW, but a combination of things creating a choke point which will clog up with just a few more bytes of information.

You never admitted/denied anything about Kuree's save cleaner, and the mention of version in the following quote/reply seemed to indicate either the Sims 3 or the save files more. If you haven't used it, please give it a try. The first time i used it I got over a 50-60% file size reduction on my bigger saves, and I just can't recommend it enough where old, long played, CC infested saves are concerned. Add to that the fact KW is a core mod and wants to fight with EA's base game and NRaas constantly is enough to have me continually wash the save's mouth with soap every chance I get.

tldr: I believe your system and installation are up to the task. I also believe you have old bloated save files which are introducing a corruption which the code can no longer ignore and fails at a critical point.

On 8/9/2020 at 9:36 PM, landess said:

I've been running KW for many years, and it's the main reason I continue to play the Sims 3 - along with many excellent CC uploads by talented artists. The fact you have a good system is just another reason rule-out weak processing power and look at a file issue as being the culprit. Since it only happens on certain saves is a red flag that the problem is not just the Sims 3 or KW, but a combination of things creating a choke point which will clog up with just a few more bytes of information.

You never admitted/denied anything about Kuree's save cleaner, and the mention of version in the following quote/reply seemed to indicate either the Sims 3 or the save files more. If you haven't used it, please give it a try. The first time i used it I got over a 50-60% file size reduction on my bigger saves, and I just can't recommend it enough where old, long played, CC infested saves are concerned. Add to that the fact KW is a core mod and wants to fight with EA's base game and NRaas constantly is enough to have me continually wash the save's mouth with soap every chance I get.

tldr: I believe your system and installation are up to the task. I also believe you have old bloated save files which are introducing a corruption which the code can no longer ignore and fails at a critical point.

I forgot to add that, I did use Kuree's save cleaner, but probably after it was too late. I didn't notice any improvements, much to my surprise, I was at least expecting my save to open quicker.

You might be right about simply too much bloat, and I've tried to fix the save once the symptoms got bad enough. Probably needed to do more maintenance before things started crashing this often.

I will try the vacation / move neighborhood options next and let you know if that works.

3 hours ago, BBSoul said:

I will try the vacation / move neighborhood options next and let you know if that works.

Like being at university, going on vacation 'stops aging', so the game has to play differently for the duration of that 'visit', and then the game rebuilds the original town when returned to. This is why I find that may be an option to purge whatever is causing the issue.

Removing all 'valuable families to the bin' and restarting the town basically gives you a clean slate. Everyone in the bin keeps skills, jobs/levels, etc. What they lose are relationships. I've had to do that with Bridgeport once - But then that expansion was acquired almost 10 years ago. I spend a lot of time customizing sims, and using towns to store them keeps my edit town bin and CAS bin from bloating.

@BBSoul

1st I can´t read Error Logs,but one sentence raised my Eyebrow. " Around 5-6 months, the whole save folder is 319 MB."

I don´t know what system you use,but on my system sims3 takes 1.4 GB of Ram before i Choose a Savegame. So I think you got a Memory Problem.

Sims3 is a 32Bit Game,and if it reach a Memory Usage of 2.4 to 3 GB ,it will crash.  Possible Solutions: Use a smaller World,reduce the Clutter on this World (Trees,stones,Unused Houses),Reduce the Amount of Sims,ServiceSims and Animals (Nraas Register),reduce CC.Save often.

Not Sims related but always good for Gaming: reduce the Services of Windows,which is not needed for Gaming.example (if you dont play online ,stop Network Services,stop Printer services,etc.).Maybe one of the many Gameboosting Tools help you.( i use this before i start a Game. "Toolwiz Gameboost Free" On my Vintage PC it helped me a lot.)

Hope i could help,and let you enjoy Sims 3

On 8/11/2020 at 3:29 AM, Otti said:

@BBSoul

1st I can´t read Error Logs,but one sentence raised my Eyebrow. " Around 5-6 months, the whole save folder is 319 MB."

I don´t know what system you use,but on my system sims3 takes 1.4 GB of Ram before i Choose a Savegame. So I think you got a Memory Problem.

Sims3 is a 32Bit Game,and if it reach a Memory Usage of 2.4 to 3 GB ,it will crash.  Possible Solutions: Use a smaller World,reduce the Clutter on this World (Trees,stones,Unused Houses),Reduce the Amount of Sims,ServiceSims and Animals (Nraas Register),reduce CC.Save often.

Not Sims related but always good for Gaming: reduce the Services of Windows,which is not needed for Gaming.example (if you dont play online ,stop Network Services,stop Printer services,etc.).Maybe one of the many Gameboosting Tools help you.( i use this before i start a Game. "Toolwiz Gameboost Free" On my Vintage PC it helped me a lot.)

Hope i could help,and let you enjoy Sims 3

Hmmm, I'm not convinced that's it. When I'm running the game it's taking up 1.7 GB while in the save according to task manager. My computer has 32 GBs of RAM, but I didn't know that the game had a memory limit. Is there a different sort of error when the game crashes due to memory? My game freezes for a couple seconds, and then crashes straight to Windows with nothing else - no "Sims 3 is not responding" message.

2 hours ago, BBSoul said:

crashes straight to Windows with nothing else

When mine has crashed before - it's the same, just as if I ALT-F4'd it or closed it from task manager - no message from Windows. I have had the game hang on me while in CAS or Build/Buy - it won't return to live mode, EVER. It just sits there....

I posted one of these links to help players get a bit more from their install, and will include a couple of other links to read which should give you a better understanding of the 32bit limits (including a response from Izagor from NRaas).

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/764392/fix-for-memory-crashes-on-sims-3  <<< this confirms 32bit operating limits and debunks rumor that it can be bypassed.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/47890/discussions/0/630800446395620611/    <<< this points out issues with the EA store while confirming 32bit operating limits.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1131162350  <<< this has guides to changing settings which can improve game play.

I gave the vacation a shot, and everything ran very smoothly over the 3 day vacation... but then the game crashed about 4 in game hours into returning. This time, ErrorTrap did not record anything despite KW running. It appears I may have to try moving everything to the bin and moving towns.

Is there a different sort of error when the game crashes due to memory?

Yes,look into your Documents Folder/Electronic Arts/Sims3/...there are 2 files called Crashreport.txt and crashreport.xctp or so.If you open up the txt file,there is a error "MSamx.dll not be found". and if you look further down, there is something with Memory Heap. 1st number is what sims 3 Needed actually before the crash,the 2nd is what is allocated,normally lower,thats why it crashed. 

On 8/16/2020 at 10:14 AM, Otti said:

Yes,look into your Documents Folder/Electronic Arts/Sims3/...there are 2 files called Crashreport.txt and crashreport.xctp or so.If you open up the txt file,there is a error "MSamx.dll not be found". and if you look further down, there is something with Memory Heap. 1st number is what sims 3 Needed actually before the crash,the 2nd is what is allocated,normally lower,thats why it crashed. 

I am not getting any "Crashreport" files in the Sims3 directory. I've also never seen an error involving a DLL before. The files I get are usually KWorldExport.xml and SCRIPTERROR#####.txt.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:14 AM, Otti said:

I recently cleaned my sims 3 docs folder so couldn't remember the exact names....

Per BBSoul's reply above, could you mean the 'minidump' files (what ever they're called) and their partner file which appear at the very bottom of the sims 3 docs folder? I've never seen the 2 file names you posted as a Windows10 user although the files extensions 'look' familiar. The extension .xctp probably stands for exception (error)

Pretty sure these are the ones needed as I do still CTD but rarely, so these files aren't generated as often as the ones BBSoul listed which appear after every gaming session.

Another update: I've been starting a new save from scratch in the same world (I haven't tried moving the families to another town yet) with KW running, and about 4-5 real hours in a crash happened. I hadn't even gotten that far into things this time! I got the same error that I posted in the original post - something about a null value. Now I'm not sure what to do next...