Lost character voice

I have been playing with no issues until a couple hours ago. I had to pause to run an errand and when I got back I noticed that while the NPCs all behave normally and I can hear them, my character voice stopped working and does not have any lip movement. I tried looking for a fix, but all the answers I found were to open the fallout.ini and remove the language append on the voices ba2, but I don't have an append on the file or in the ini.

Any ideas?

7 hours ago, Nimhloth said:

I have been playing with no issues until a couple hours ago. I had to pause to run an errand and when I got back I noticed that while the NPCs all behave normally and I can hear them, my character voice stopped working and does not have any lip movement. I tried looking for a fix, but all the answers I found were to open the fallout.ini and remove the language append on the voices ba2, but I don't have an append on the file or in the ini.

Any ideas?

You can try disable all mods to check if mod create this problem, also with new game, if not mods, you can check in steam for game cache

I would use the console to check whether your character is in a quest alias with a forced voice type.  Some mods use aliases to temporarily change actors' voices so the mod's silent dialogue files will play.  Unfortunately, if something goes wrong and the actor is not removed from the alias, they will be stuck in the condition you are experiencing. 

To check for this, open the console and run the commands:

prid 14

sv

This will dump a lot of data about the running quests affecting your character, including what aliases they are in.  It may be hard to interpret if you are not familiar with how all this works, however.

You might be able to narrow the problem down if you know which mods you are using that use silent dialogue, particularly ones where NPCs approach the player.

On 7/29/2020 at 5:11 PM, EgoBallistic said:

I would use the console to check whether your character is in a quest alias with a forced voice type.  Some mods use aliases to temporarily change actors' voices so the mod's silent dialogue files will play.  Unfortunately, if something goes wrong and the actor is not removed from the alias, they will be stuck in the condition you are experiencing. 

Yeah this has always been a concern with Hardship. Any opportunity I get in one of my scripts to clear the dialogue alias I do :) It works most of the time but there are rare situations where the npc gets muted, but only till you talk to somebody else.

I used Player Comments and Head Tracking for hundred hours and many different load orders, I never had this issue. Until this last game, when I installed Crime and Punishment, for the first time my character became mute during a hold up. I had a feeling that the "issue" per se came out by triggering the hold up in the same exact moment that my character started commenting on something, so my guess is it's more in the interaction of two mods