"Heavily" modded Skyrim vram consumption?

Shmex

As the title says, I'm wondering what kind of v(ideo)ram consumption Skyrim has with a load of textures mods and tweaks thrown in to the mix (ENBs included).

I'm just about to build an entierly new system, and unfortunately, I've already placed an order and everything is ready to be picked up by tomorrow.

The system:

CPU: Intel i5 3570k

CPU cooler: Cooler Master 212 Hyper Evo

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 680 2GB OC

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4

Ram: Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600MHz Low-profile

PSU: Corsair HX750 v2 +80 Gold Certified

Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2

Resolution: 1920x1200/1080

I'm a little wary that the 2gb memory on the GPU won't be enough for all the mods I'm planning on using.

I always had a bit of a suspiscion that I was going to run out of vram though, and when I laid eyes upon this http://www.overclock.net/t/1272610/2gb-vram-with-heavily-modded-skyrim-has-anybody-had-issues, it pretty much felt like it was confirmed that Skyrim would require a bit more than 2gb vram.

So my question to you is...

How much vram does Skyrim consume for you, and are you experiencing stuttering, crashes or missing textures (or other visual signs that your vram is capped/not sufficient)? What kind of tweaks are you using? Should I return that GPU for a 4gb version just incase the shit hits the fan? General knowledge on the subject?

Note:

I'm most probably gonna pick up a Gigabyte GTX 670 4GB OC if I'm to get a new card as I got the 680 on a sale.

I am using a Amd 7950 with 3 GB Ram and till now i didn't have any Performance problems even with running a lot of Mods. In my opinion you should not have any Problems ,at  the moment, with your GPU even if its only "2 GB ". But who knows hom much High Def Packs there will be in the future.

(I am sorry for my bad english)

@Shmex: by the looks of the specs you have, I'd say it's still way better than what I'm using right now. Thus you can run a hundreds of mods and moderately-sized textures without a hiccup.

Depends on how much available resources, but the more mods used, the larger amount of memory and processing needed. Skyrim Performance Monitor measures and graphs memory consumption while play-testing.

Low-performance rigs could run a hundred mods, but must use textures with reduced size, a lower screen resolution, and configure ENB and the GPU for performance. Any rig with multiple cores, more than 4gb of memory and 1gb of VRAM on a high-performance motherboard will have a better framerate.

My specs:

CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.5ghz

CPU cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 650Ti 2GB (Core +100Mhz on MSi Afterburner)

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41

Ram: Mushkin 2x4 8GB RAM@1600Mhz

PSU: Corsair HX850 Gold Certified

Case: Cooler Master CM690 II

Res: 1440x900

I'm running Skyrim on custom settings and 2k textures with a custom ENB. It goes between 50-100 fps depending on location.

No crashes, stutters, or any other bugs :)

I'll play devils advocate lol

I'm running an i7 3930 with 16gig ram and a 680 4gb. My other pc is a i7 930 6gig ram and a 660 2gb. Both 1920x1080.

I'm running texture pack combiner (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/20801) and was getting lockups and ctd using the 660.

On the 680 system using skyrim performance monitor (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6491) I'm closer to 3gig vram usage.

This was before I started running sweet fx and an enb.
Everything seems solid at 60fps now on the new system but keep the gfx card recipt as you might want to swap it.

As always ymmv but that's my 2 cents :)

Archived