I'm having the same issue. The captchas are extremely irritating and the picture quality in the captchas has deteriorated to the point that it's causing eyestrain.

I had a same problem six months ago and for a time the picture captchas had stopped. Now they're back and much, much worse, probably the result of some homogeneous focus groups of a single language and single cultural background.

I love the site but it's getting harder to love it as time goes by. It's like trying to clear airport security six times a day.

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

Six pages of captcha right now.

How long are you going to continue with this captcha?

I can't use the site this way. I wasn't able to upload stuff yesterday because of it.

that I not understand, for me only 9 captcha pictures appear, it takes a few seconds and I'm logged in.

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

20 pages in 24 hours.

Dude, this is not a LL thing.  Contact your ISP.  You have a shit ton of different IP address.  Each time you come with a different one, bingo, you are going to get the captcha.

Perhaps Ashal has the settings too tight.  That probably won't change as we were being bombarded with bots and spammers.  I did check your login IP's and you have a different one almost every single time.  Again, nothing the moderation team can do about that.  You can either contact your ISP or PM Ashal to see if there is an exception he can make for you.

25 minutes ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

Is this particular captcha which is causing issues.

The previous captcha was fine. Only once every few days, click on two pages and be done with it.

The current one, its two to eight pages, going as long as twenty pages of captchas.

cough, I am since 9 years member here and since captchas existed, I never had any problems.
the logging in takes few seconds. :classic_wink:

2 hours ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

Is this particular captcha which is causing issues.

The previous captcha was fine. Only once every few days, click on two pages and be done with it.

The current one, its two to eight pages, going as long as twenty pages of captchas.

It has been like this since early 2019. It's definitely not a new thing.

One of my posts complaining about it back then.

Now that Cloudflare has replaced reCaptcha with hCaptcha, the site has TWO Captcha services, hCaptcha for viewing the site (doesn't work with the Buster extension as it doesn't have audio clues) and reCaptcha for logging in (Buster has been malfunctioning now aswell, it seems Goolag has improved their detection of automated Captcha solvers).

I also know that people with less/no privacy oriented extensions are getting them all the time aswell; I've a friend who loads all those trackers and gets all those brazzers ads giving up accessing LL many times in the past because of this Captcha madness.

It's actually funny that you still see stuff like this, thanks to services like Anti-Captcha: 2UdmJp6.png

As my friend rightly puts it, Captcha is meant to prevent access from actual humans, not bots.

As someone who've worked on several digital security fields, my opinion has always been that Captcha is a lazy (evil) device for lazy admins delegating their security measures onto their users.

At this point, I just avoid accessing this site unless I need to post something or update a mod or two.

You all are just hackers :o 

If You are talking about LL, then idk what are you talking about...

LL never asked me to fuck with captcha :x...

Maybe because I'm dead? :o...

Hmm... i think i should already change it...

i wanted to quit this forum but then i quit discord servers ( all of them ) and come back here... but too lazy to reincarnate myself T_T

BUT !... thats soultion for your problems with Captcha!... You just have to die :o...

Death = no Captcha problems

xDDDDDD

• 2 weeks later...

So this is the diagnosis.

This is a Cloudflare issue. I used a VPN (the one built into Opera, nothing fancy) to get into this site at times (not using one now, so admins can see my real IP). When using an Asian IP it *always* asks for a captcha check using stupid little images that some mindless weeb on the Cloudflare team decided would be viewable. Probably the janitor.

When using an American or European IP, there is no captcha check ever.

Cloudflare automatically assumes that all Asian IPs are spam generators. I agree that many are (I'm an admin on another site that uses a different method to root out offenders and almost all of them are from South Asia), but it's not an issue restricted to specific IPs. It is based purely on region of origin. You can get a "Privacy Pass" for Chrome to allow you site access for limited time, but similar is not available for other platforms or browsers.

The problem is that most ISPs are running out of IPv4 addresses so same IPS are shared between multiple users depending on activity and timeouts. Thus there is address overlap between genuine users and spammers if they both reside in the same country. So though greg has a point about IP being the source of the issue, most ISPs hands are tied so informing them will not help because a spam-heavy region will have IPs flagged as soon as tthey are released.

This is basically automation with no thinking, or an automaton. I have visited other sites with Cloudflare using no VPN and the issue is not always present, so it's something specific to LL or a group of checks based on site profile and visitor profile. Without more details it;'s impossible to diagnose the issue let alone think of a fix.

On 6/14/2020 at 6:49 AM, Hawk9969 said:

As my friend rightly puts it, Captcha is meant to prevent access from actual humans, not bots.

As someone who've worked on several digital security fields, my opinion has always been that Captcha is a lazy (evil) device for lazy admins delegating their security measures onto their users.

At this point, I just avoid accessing this site unless I need to post something or update a mod or two.

QFT. This is the issue, it's pure laziness. I will admit it may also be that the site itself does not have sufficient manpower to vet every visitor and apply intelligence to the content, to work out who is genuine and who's a spammer. Anti-Captcha is not effective against the new picture Captchas yet, only the primitive text-based ones. This takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation, but it's just genuine annoyance.

I was regular on the site's tech support forums before this system was implemented, I now visit once a month to see what's new and hardly ever post. I always come in using the VPN with a "White-listed" IP (which is a handy trick for bots as well). I don;t see how I am considered of any value to the site, as Tobias says, I'm just a goddamn hacker because I'm Asian.

GL to all out here, this is not a problem that will go away and because it applies to only a portion of members, we can go to hell. 

• 4 weeks later...

Have been in once a day last few days, it seems I am now able to reach the site without VPN and without captcha, I do get the browser check page which needs a few seconds of wait time. I hope this is a persistent change and not a temporary thing.

Edit Aug 10: Been quite a while now since I've seen the captchas, so good work if this got picked up and fixed. I get the standard "Checking your browser page" for a few seconds and then on to the site. Much better.

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2020 at 1:37 AM, winny257 said:

cough, I am since 9 years member here and since captchas existed, I never had any problems.
the logging in takes few seconds. :classic_wink:

Good for you.

Since they put captcha I rarely visit because I first have to go through a ridiculous amount of captcha check before finally being able to log in.

Yes, my IP changes, my ISP uses dynamic IP allocation. Which doesnt explain why I have to check 20 freaking fire hydrants and cycles and whatnot as my Ip doesnt change during the check...

27 minutes ago, djinntonic said:

Good for you.

Yes, my IP changes, my ISP uses dynamic IP allocation.

and maybe is that, exactly that problem.
I've had the same Telephone connection for 40 years and since I've been using the Internet, always the same IP address.
I have nothing to hide, do not belong to any criminal organization and there is nothing to get from me.
We become all spied on anyway, that takes over Microsoft with Win10 :classic_wink:

http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_and_the_NSA

On 9/27/2020 at 12:57 PM, winny257 said:

and maybe is that, exactly that problem.
I've had the same Telephone connection for 40 years and since I've been using the Internet, always the same IP address.
I have nothing to hide, do not belong to any criminal organization and there is nothing to get from me.
We become all spied on anyway, that takes over Microsoft with Win10 :classic_wink:

http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_and_the_NSA

Again... It's irrelevant. My IP does not change between the beginning of the check and it's end.
The risk someone systematically uses the same IP address as me at the same moment to authenticate here is pretty much 0. So that cant be the issue either.

It's just a very crappy captcha. Period.

• 4 weeks later...