[Solved] Trying to add "tools" to creatures

I've been trying to learn nifscope and I figure what better way than by putting dicks on things, right? So I decided to use this guide as a base:

So I've managed to copy the mesh fine, but I'm having one problem. I can't move it. Editing it with "transform" isn't moving it at all, it's completely still. Rotation, scale, none of it works. For reference, I'm trying to put the vampire lord's nightmare fuel dick on Mihails fogling.

6 minutes ago, fapmcfap said:

I've been trying to learn nifscope and I figure what better way than by putting dicks on things, right? So I decided to use this guide as a base:

So I've managed to copy the mesh fine, but I'm having one problem. I can't move it. Editing it with "transform" isn't moving it at all, it's completely still. Rotation, scale, none of it works. For reference, I'm trying to put the vampire lord's nightmare fuel dick on Mihails fogling.

You can use Outfit Studio, just make sure its reference skeleton is set to the creature you are exporting for.

I haven't had much luck using NifSkope for this stuff since their most recent major update.  Used to work fine, now it doesn't /shrug

15 minutes ago, Seijin8 said:

You can use Outfit Studio, just make sure its reference skeleton is set to the creature you are exporting for.

I haven't had much luck using NifSkope for this stuff since their most recent major update.  Used to work fine, now it doesn't /shrug

Shit, just my luck. I try to learn nifscope after an update made it weird. Is the bodyslide process fairly easy? I was surprised at how easy nifscope was to use, but I've never really touched bodyslide, didn't have a reason to with the all in one body here.

Edit: I meant to say outfit studio, not bodyslide. Not sure how I got that mixed up.

I found a solution, I got a version of nifscope from 2016 and it works fine. The placement needs some tweaking and I'm not sure if I'll be sticking with the vampire lord parts, but it's a start.

Out of curiosity, what are the sites rules for uploading the files I make out of this? I wouldn't mind sharing what I make, I would like to contribute a mod or two in some way but since it's a Mihail model with a MNC dong, I'm not sure how the rules work.

49 minutes ago, fapmcfap said:

I can't move it. Editing it with "transform" isn't moving it at all, it's completely still. Rotation, scale, none of it works

with the newer nifscopes the changes don't show up until you hit "apply".

....but the newer (ABC enabled) meshes have also complicated things, you can't edit there placements at all due to multiple nodes being used, only one node meshes can be safely moved and/or resized.

44 minutes ago, fapmcfap said:

Is the bodyslide process fairly easy?

Reasonably so, yes.  Something I should note: you said you were transferring a peen from one creature to another, but do they have the same skeletons?  If not, the node names may not match and then all bets are off.  That can be fixed in Outfit Studio as well, but requires bone weighting which I won't go into below.

Assuming the nodes match... Once you have it installed:

1) Go to "Data\CalienteTools\BodySlide\res" and place the following nifs in there...

• the SOURCE you are getting the peen from
  • the TARGET thing you are moving the peen onto
  • A second copy of TARGET, usually I renamed to TARGET_REF (or whatever you can remember)
  • the SKELETON file for the creature you are transferring the peen onto

2) open up Outfit Studio, go to "File -> Settings -> Reference skeleton", get the SKELETON for the creature you are exporting to. (As a safety measure I usually do this then exit and restart the program. May not be an issue, but I have had odd things happen in the past if I didn't do that.)

3) "File -> Load Reference -> Browse" (to the right of "From File")

4) Select the TARGET_REF.nif (copy of your intended creature target

5) Shape will now list something from that body.  Doesn't matter what it is, just click OK.

6) In the upper-right will be a green name under "Reference Only".  Right-click it and change the name to something else.  REF is simplest.

7) "File -> Import -> From Nif" (get the SOURCE nif with the peen you want to copy

8 ) Once it is loaded in, there will be a list of the pieces on the right side under REF.  For simplicity, use the eyeball toggle on REF to make it invisible and then toggle the eyeball on the rest to see what is what and get rid of everything you don't want (Delete).

9) Once you have the piece(s) of SOURCE you want to use, go to "File -> Import -> From Nif" and bring in the TARGET nif (NOT the TARGET_REF --- saving over a reference that is in use can cause the program to crash.  That's why there's two copies.)

10) Now it is just a matter of realigning the peen onto the target body.  On the named pieces in the right corner, you can right-click and use the "move", "scale" and "rotate" options to get them lined up.  Avoid using any of the brushes at this point.

11) ---> If the SKELETONS of SOURCE and TARGET aren't the same, this is where bone weighting would take place (removing the old node structures and painting new ones onto it that match up with the new skeleton for TARGET), which is more involved and I am skipping it.  Note that if that is the case, nifskope couldn't be used for it anyway.

12) Once things are where they should be, and assuming nothing tragic takes place, "File -> Export -> To Nif" the results back onto the TARGET nif.

At that point, put the TARGET wherever you need to and it should function.

It is worth learning this process (or some variant of it) since it can be used to attach anything to anything with some creativity. 

7 minutes ago, Seijin8 said:

Reasonably so, yes.  Something I should note: you said you were transferring a peen from one creature to another, but do they have the same skeletons?  If not, the node names may not match and then all bets are off.  That can be fixed in Outfit Studio as well, but requires bone weighting which I won't go into below.

Assuming the nodes match... Once you have it installed:

1) Go to "Data\CalienteTools\BodySlide\res" and place the following nifs in there...

• the SOURCE you are getting the peen from
  • the TARGET thing you are moving the peen onto
  • A second copy of TARGET, usually I renamed to TARGET_REF (or whatever you can remember)
  • the SKELETON file for the creature you are transferring the peen onto

2) open up Outfit Studio, go to "File -> Settings -> Reference skeleton", get the SKELETON for the creature you are exporting to. (As a safety measure I usually do this then exit and restart the program. May not be an issue, but I have had odd things happen in the past if I didn't do that.)

3) "File -> Load Reference -> Browse" (to the right of "From File")

4) Select the TARGET_REF.nif (copy of your intended creature target

5) Shape will now list something from that body.  Doesn't matter what it is, just click OK.

6) In the upper-right will be a green name under "Reference Only".  Right-click it and change the name to something else.  REF is simplest.

7) "File -> Import -> From Nif" (get the SOURCE nif with the peen you want to copy

8 ) Once it is loaded in, there will be a list of the pieces on the right side under REF.  For simplicity, use the eyeball toggle on REF to make it invisible and then toggle the eyeball on the rest to see what is what and get rid of everything you don't want (Delete).

9) Once you have the piece(s) of SOURCE you want to use, go to "File -> Import -> From Nif" and bring in the TARGET nif (NOT the TARGET_REF --- saving over a reference that is in use can cause the program to crash.  That's why there's two copies.)

10) Now it is just a matter of realigning the peen onto the target body.  On the named pieces in the right corner, you can right-click and use the "move", "scale" and "rotate" options to get them lined up.  Avoid using any of the brushes at this point.

11) ---> If the SKELETONS of SOURCE and TARGET aren't the same, this is where bone weighting would take place (removing the old node structures and painting new ones onto it that match up with the new skeleton for TARGET), which is more involved and I am skipping it.  Note that if that is the case, nifskope couldn't be used for it anyway.

12) Once things are where they should be, and assuming nothing tragic takes place, "File -> Export -> To Nif" the results back onto the TARGET nif.

At that point, put the TARGET wherever you need to and it should function.

It is worth learning this process (or some variant of it) since it can be used to attach anything to anything with some creativity. 

Doesn't sound too bad, I'll try this as well and see which process works better for me. I actually feel bad for going back and using the old nifscope after reading this, like I wasted your time.

3 minutes ago, fapmcfap said:

Doesn't sound too bad, I'll try this as well and see which process works better for me. I actually feel bad for going back and using the old nifscope after reading this, like I wasted your time.

Nah, s'all good.

Results matter most, and -- speaking only about modding -- path used to get there is irrelevant.  In fact, when building modding skills, false steps are often more instructive anyway.

40 minutes ago, fapmcfap said:

Out of curiosity, what are the sites rules for uploading the files I make out of this? I wouldn't mind sharing what I make, I would like to contribute a mod or two in some way but since it's a Mihail model with a MNC dong, I'm not sure how the rules work.

MNC is mostly creative commons, so your safe there.

most of Mihail's stuff seems to have conflicting permissions tags applied to them: a modder's resources that can be used without permission....but not allowed to be uploaded to other sites?

in most cases like this you should be safe as long as your mod/patch still needs the original mod to work.....but however if not safe then there is a way to make CF apply the dicks without including any of the mods files in your patch, you can apply the dick mesh as a separate extra armature onto the body, some of my dragon dicks work like that.

17 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

MNC is mostly creative commons, so your safe there.

most of Mihail's stuff seems to have conflicting permissions tags applied to them: a modder's resources that can be used without permission....but not allowed to be uploaded to other sites?

in most cases like this you should be safe as long as your mod/patch still needs the original mod to work.....but however if not safe then there is a way to make CF apply the dicks without including any of the mods files in your patch, you can apply the dick mesh as a separate extra armature onto the body, some of my dragon dicks work like that.

So I should be fine if I just put the nif files in appropriately named folders so they'd still be mod manager compatible but still require the original mod to actually do anything.

Once I get the Fogling worked out I'll go ahead and upload it. I might even do a few more, I have some time to kill with the quarantine and all that.

Archived