[mod] Rimworld 1.3: Nephila Hyperpregnancy Race Mod

1 hour ago, HiveBro said:

Hmm. Seems your game's having issues registering hediffs for some reason. You have a pretty low mod count, so I'm surprised you're running into issues. That said, the first thing we can do is strip out the mods you don't need  (for the purposes of getting Nephila working) and re-adding them one by one until you run into the issue again.

Trying to remove various mods with the existing save mostly didn't help, with the notable exception of Rimworld of Magic. Trying to load the save without that mod left the game in such a screwed up state that I'm surprised it didn't just crash. It's also a mod which adds a ton of hediffs (and an assortment of operations too), so that would be my suspect. Changing the order so Nephila loaded after RoM didn't fix the problem. I tried using the very latest Git version.

I really like this mod. I adore the kind of sexy body horror thing going on, and the freaking tree people, and how there seems to be this whole eco-system built for the race, lots of depth and the blend of horror and sexiness really does it for my messed up brain.

My only issue with the mod is that it's a terrible 'background' mod. What I mean is that as soon as you install it you're going to see things from it constantly, taking over huge parts of the game, even if you avoid any intentional interaction with the Nephilim. I haven't had someone infected in my current main save file, yet all of my build menus have two or three extra items taking up space, which I have exactly zero use for. I'd much rather see the buildings and items moved to their own researches, so that the Nephilim race is something you specialize in learning about and exploiting, instead of just incidentally learning about crazy hover slime palanquins because you looked into how to make to top hats. I'd like to have minimal interactions with the really weird and freaky parts of the mod until I've had to do some investigating into one of my unfortunately mutating pawns. It also seems weird that carvans show up with Nephilim armor and with Cherbus and Serephim (I think that was the names) as pets, when you'd think something that messed up would be sort of a taboo subject, and most people would avoid the hpreg-causing titty snakes at all costs.

Maybe I am a minority in this, I just like when mods treat themselves as option rather than trying to be the entire play experience. I want this mutation to be one freaking weird thing that can happen to my pawns if I am note careful, rather than specifically playing a Nephilim hive every time I play with the mod installed.

On 6/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, Catastrophic said:

I really like this mod. I adore the kind of sexy body horror thing going on, and the freaking tree people, and how there seems to be this whole eco-system built for the race, lots of depth and the blend of horror and sexiness really does it for my messed up brain.

My only issue with the mod is that it's a terrible 'background' mod. What I mean is that as soon as you install it you're going to see things from it constantly, taking over huge parts of the game, even if you avoid any intentional interaction with the Nephilim. I haven't had someone infected in my current main save file, yet all of my build menus have two or three extra items taking up space, which I have exactly zero use for. I'd much rather see the buildings and items moved to their own researches, so that the Nephilim race is something you specialize in learning about and exploiting, instead of just incidentally learning about crazy hover slime palanquins because you looked into how to make to top hats. I'd like to have minimal interactions with the really weird and freaky parts of the mod until I've had to do some investigating into one of my unfortunately mutating pawns. It also seems weird that carvans show up with Nephilim armor and with Cherbus and Serephim (I think that was the names) as pets, when you'd think something that messed up would be sort of a taboo subject, and most people would avoid the hpreg-causing titty snakes at all costs.

Maybe I am a minority in this, I just like when mods treat themselves as option rather than trying to be the entire play experience. I want this mutation to be one freaking weird thing that can happen to my pawns if I am note careful, rather than specifically playing a Nephilim hive every time I play with the mod installed.

I'm actually a bit relieved that this mod doesn't have independent research nodes. Having to research unique nodes to get into a mod for my colony is one of my least favorite things to do, as I'd rather research things that would greatly benefit my colony; like Medical Beds or Marine Armor, than having to sidetrack and research nodes just to dip my toes into a mod I may not even like, as for "my build menus have two or three extra items taking up space" I kind of share that ideology, but it's no harm done really, especially when other mods clog your menus up far more cruely, and lastly, when it comes to getting Cherubims and Serephims off of trade caravans, it's honestly how I get my first Maiden in the colony: Buy the hpreg-causing titty snakes, train them to release, send their master pawn into combat, fists or club only, Snake bites Raiders, Raiders get infected with Nephila Sickness which eventually turns them into a Nephila.

I'm trying to avoid research bloat, but I suppose I could make a short/easy "delve into Nephila secrets" research that unlocks everything at once to cut down on item bloat. You'd still run into the odd event/encounter with the Nephila faction, but your build ques wouldn't be clogged up. At this point there are quite a few things going on so I can see your point, but the mod's intended to make it feel like the rimworld any given colonists are living on is in the process of being actively converted by the Nephila. That part's not liable to change (and will likely become more pronounced with time as I add more events and the like). 

At some point I'm going to delve into the process of setting up an option menu for the mod, at which point it'll be easier to switch things on/off (likely not the faction, but I'm pretty sure I can disable events). Haven't gotten around to that yet, though. Still working on getting the basic systems in the mod all working together. 

On 6/6/2020 at 10:27 PM, HiveBro said:

You need to try new saves for this method to work. Trying old saves introduces too many confounding variables.

it turned out the solution was simpler than that. After moving the Nephila mod to load after Rimworld of Magic, deleting the operation and then re-adding it fixed the problem.

3 hours ago, genericlogin said:

it turned out the solution was simpler than that. After moving the Nephila mod to load after Rimworld of Magic, deleting the operation and then re-adding it fixed the problem.

Interesting. Okay, I'll add a segment in the mod description saying it might be best to load the Nephila mod after Rimworld of Magic.

Edit: Also, I have pushed a research prerequisite for Nephila items to git. As stated earlier, it is incredibly short and mostly there to let players decide when they want nephila building content showing up, but I think I managed to theme it decently so it feels fairly natural. Picture:

Spoiler

20200608151957_1.jpg.ab6179dac00abaa79fd6bddcd9d3fc23.jpg

Edit Edit:

Spoiler

20200608173157_1.jpg.717e57b97cf940c722e315a71b67ff04.jpg

I have uploaded some test stuff involving drugs and milk to git. One of the abilities that Nephila colony psycasters can get (and the trainer for the ability is craftable by nephila maidens/handmaidens/etc.) induces lactation in humanoid pawns. This milk can be converted in fueled nephila buildings (currently just the fountain and a fueled version of the wall lamps) into iridiscent milk, which you can still, of course, gather directly from Nephila Seraphim. You put the humanoid milk in the buildings and, next time you refuel them, they generate iridiscent milk. 

Iridiscent milk can now be used to craft several drugs rather than just Angel's Nectar as it did before. A breakdown: 
* Cherub Sap (made just from iridiscent milk and easy to unlock): A slightly weaker go-juice equivalent.

* Maidens Embrace (mix iridiscent milk w/ a coalescing cherub): Gives a pawn nephila sickness, so you can finally spread the disease without violence.

* Angel's Nectar (Made w/ medicine): Cheap, always ultimately lethal luciferium equivalent. Is used to transform Nephila Matrons into Nephila Grand Matrons.

Finally, Nephila Queen's Guard no longer lactate iridiscent milk. Instead they lactate a drug called Angel's Cream, which is fairly equivalent to Luciferium (and, while lethal to withdraw from, won't guaranteed kill normal pawns the way that Angel's Nectar does).

Hopefully this gives folks another interesting means of progressing Nephila "tech" and also, combined with the race mod part changes, will help alleviate some of the speed issues Nephila encounter while also giving more early/mid game rewards for engaging with Nephila content.

We'll run a test of this content for the next day or two and then I'll update the Lover's Lab/Dropbox versions of the mod.

PS: Oh, and I don't know if I mentioned this yet, but if you're settling in Nephilitic Edens in the git version of the mod, be careful not to let your pawns eat Urchin Fruit too freely. You have been warned...

Forming a caravan in a Nephilitic Eden causes Erros to be spit out after every action in the Caravan Menu (Adding Colonists or Animals to the Caravan, Adding Items, etc etc) as well as after forming the Caravan, you're unable to interact with the Caravan as there are no buttons to do so, anyone else encoutering this problem? Making a new colony and forming caravans outside of Nephilitic Eden's is just fine.
Hugslog: https://gist.github.com/fea1f58c24aa6f03ee23c1ed6147ade4

Untitled.png

Full copy of the error?
As in: 
Exception filling window for RimWorld.Dialog_FormCaravan: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object at RimWorld.Planet.ForagedFoodPerDayCalculator.GetForagedFoodCountPerInterval (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] pawns, RimWorld.BiomeDef biome, RimWorld.Faction faction, System.Text.StringBuilder explanation) [0x001e3] in <0ee2c524c4be441e9b7f8bfcb20aca6f>:0 at RimWorld.Planet.ForagedFoodPerDayCalculator.ForagedFoodPerDay (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] pawns, RimWorld.BiomeDef biome, RimWorld.Faction faction, System.Boolean caravanMovingNow, System.Boolean caravanNightResting, System.Text.StringBuilder explanation) [0x00000] in <0ee2c524c4be441e9b7f8bfcb20aca6f>:0 at RimWorld.Planet.ForagedFoodPerDayCalculator.ForagedFoodPerDay (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] transferables, RimWorld.BiomeDef biome, RimWorld.Faction faction, System.Text.StringBuilder explanation) [0x00064] in <0ee2c524c4be441e9b7f8bfcb20aca6f>:0 at RimWorld.Dialog_FormCaravan.get_ForagedFoodPerDay () [0x00027] in <0ee2c524c4be441e9b7f8bfcb20aca6f>:0 at RimWorld.Dialog_FormCaravan.DoWindowContents (UnityEngine.Rect inRect) [0x00075] in <0ee2c524c4be441e9b7f8bfcb20aca6f>:0 at Verse.Window.InnerWindowOnGUI (System.Int32 x) [0x00165] in <0ee2c524c4be441e9b7f8bfcb20aca6f>:0
If not this, then please elaborate more, as I don't know the specifics of what you're asking for.

ah ha. I bet I know what the issue is. Most likely, the game's forage calculator doesn't like the object I set as "foragable." I'll try tinkering to see if I can get a decent foraged item selected to fix the issue and post again once the error is resolved and the fix pushed to git.

Edit: Pushed a fix to the issue to the Git version of the mod. Please download it and let me know if it fixes your issue. 

They are, yeah. You're really only meant to see a lot of Nephilim title levels in Nephilim themselves (they get the titles automatically). It is meant to be technically doable to get somewhere around the Gray One stage on a regular pawn. I might have to think about decreasing the favor cost for supplicants. Haven't gotten to do a longer test in 1.1, so still not as familiar with the royalty systems as I'd like to be to tweak things.

Since so much of the new content for Nephila is dependent on Royalty elements, the non-royalty version will not have new updates. Would be too much time/energy to keep two very different versions of the mod updated concurrently. The current version for non-royalty players will only be updated if a serious issue with bugs/the like occurs.

6 hours ago, Madness1 said:

awww ok:L

Sorry :( I know it sucks, but it ended up being a choice between being able to do a bunch of additions that are fun to put together or only very occasionally updating for both mods while risking burnout as they inevitably faced all kinds of conflicts. If someone else wanted to take up the mantle of porting the most recent Nephila stuff to the non-royalty mod, they could always make a fork of the most recent mod and work on making everything square away. I just can't devote my time to it, personally.

A quick update: Archina has put together an aura effect comp that pawns and plants can use. What does this mean?

Spoiler

20200611174422_1.jpg.76e4b892d7ba7ca21c67935714624b88.jpg

Nephila in the git version of the mod now make people horny faster.  They also add a slight boost to consciousness. Each pawn can receive benefits from a single aura belonging to each Nephila stage (queen's guard give regular maiden auras). I'll be monitoring how intense the libido stuff is in terms of gameplay impact. Likely will need to tone it down some, but we'll see how it goes. Anyone playing the git version that tests this content out please let me know how your more advanced colonies fare with the new aura system. It can be hard for me to test late-game stuff since I suck I don't generally have the time to get a colony late game for testing purposes.

Urchin Tendrils now also exhude a similar aura, so be careful around them in Nephilitic Eden biomes.

I saw a non-Nephila psycaster randomly get the induce lactation psycast. I got the impression that it was supposed to be Nephila specific.

Addendum: When I used the induce lactation psycast, it gives an induced lactation hediff which needs periodic tending. However, they don't seem to actually produce milk, so as far as I can tell it's just a waste of medicine. Is there some additional step I'm overlooking?

2 hours ago, genericlogin said:

I saw a non-Nephila psycaster randomly get the induce lactation psycast. I got the impression that it was supposed to be Nephila specific.

Addendum: When I used the induce lactation psycast, it gives an induced lactation hediff which needs periodic tending. However, they don't seem to actually produce milk, so as far as I can tell it's just a waste of medicine. Is there some additional step I'm overlooking?

At the moment, the psycast trainer can be made by Nephila maidens to guarantee availability to Nephila, but all psionic pawns have the possibility to learn the ability. 

Induce lactation should 100% cause pawns to produce milk. You should see in their information box a percent tracker ticking up to 100. When it reaches 100, they should milk themselves. If that's not happening, it's likely a mod conflict. Are you running any mods that you think might conflict with Nephilim milk production?

34 minutes ago, HiveBro said:

Are you running any mods that you think might conflict with Nephilim milk production?

Both Milkable Colonists and Children and Pregnancy might. I think it's Children and Pregnancy--I removed Milkable Colonists, deleted the hediff, and reapplied the psycast but there was still no percent tracker. Also, I found that Children and Pregnancy is generally a buggy mess, so I'm not surprised when it messes up.  ?

I started a new save, and quickly encountered a forced weather quest where the weather type was "nephilitic fog." The description says it "can sicken humanoid pawns that spend too much time outside in it," which led me to expect a toxic fallout-style buildup. However, as far as I can tell, it's not doing anything.

For pawns outside, it inflicts Nephila sickness, though it can take some time. If you're having trouble with the milk hediff, too, my guess is something is preventing any of the Nephila hediffs from propagating. Try applying "Nephila Sickness from Animals" to a pawn using dev mode (it'll be under "add hediff." If you can't find the hediff, if it spits out errors, or if it refuses to apply even with dev mode, that indicates there's something interfering with hediffs, which'll cause all kinds of issues with the Nephila mod (nearly everything fancy the mod does involves hediffs in some way).

6 hours ago, HiveBro said:

For pawns outside, it inflicts Nephila sickness, though it can take some time. If you're having trouble with the milk hediff, too, my guess is something is preventing any of the Nephila hediffs from propagating. Try applying "Nephila Sickness from Animals" to a pawn using dev mode (it'll be under "add hediff." If you can't find the hediff, if it spits out errors, or if it refuses to apply even with dev mode, that indicates there's something interfering with hediffs, which'll cause all kinds of issues with the Nephila mod (nearly everything fancy the mod does involves hediffs in some way).

I started a new game, the one where the nephilitic fog didn't happen is different from the one where the milk wasn't working. The milk problem was apparently caused by Children and Pregnancy, which I stopped using. In the new game, where the nephilitic fog happened, I just ignored it to see what would happen and nobody ever got the sickness. How long is it supposed to take?

Note that the spore and aura hediffs from proximity to Nephila and to urchin tendrils have been appearing without any problem, and the nephila sickness hediff from bites has also been working fine.

I found the problem with the fog not inducing sickness. It turns out it's not tied to the fog at all, but to the Nephila Clutch Mother. One of them appeared, and everyone who was outside promptly got the sickness. However, the clutch mother appears to be bugged. As soon as I kill one, another spawns somewhere on the map.