[mod] Rimworld 1.3: Nephila Hyperpregnancy Race Mod

Have to wait for dependencies like RJW to be 1.3 compatible before I can really start working on things, but I do intend to get Nephila working with the new version of Rimworld. Depending on time, I'd like to mess around with the Ideology expansion content, too, as I think it has potential use for developing Nephila lore and culture.

I've been reading on past comments while playing. 

Is there any tool in the mod that counters the berserk from the nanite induced lust disease? 

If not, there should be! 

And while this mod doesn't seem to be strictly dependent on RJW in any way, why not use their rape functions for that? I am fairly sure that 99% of the players here also play with RJW. 

Another oddity I found is that the cherubims born from the maidens are wild and need to be tamed.

I feel they should be part of the player faction on spawn, or - again - there should be a mod-specific way to own and/or control them. 

Great work btw. 

Edit: Before I forget, two more things:

On handmaided ascension, the non-violence trait is lost. I don't know if this is intended, but it's strange to forcefully gain it and then lose it. 

And - I would suggest renaming the coccooned ones to... different things, since it wasn't precisely apparent that there is a resource /and/ a building with the same name. 

Edited by icelandia

Glad you're enjoying the mod. Some responses: 

* RJW is a dependency for the Nephilla mod, though you might still be able to play without. 

* No anti-berserk specific things, though that's an interesting idea. I'll consider it. Idea for renaming cocooned ones to differentiate makes sense, too. Will do that.

* The taming thing is deliberate. It's meant to balance the strength of getting access to fairly powerful animals. They are pretty easy to tame, though.

* The non-violence trait has specific chances of manifesting in each type of maiden. Very much deliberate.

33 minutes ago, HiveBro said:

* RJW is a dependency for the Nephilla mod, though you might still be able to play without. 

* No anti-berserk specific things, though that's an interesting idea. I'll consider it. Idea for renaming cocooned ones to differentiate makes sense, too. Will do that.

* The taming thing is deliberate. It's meant to balance the strength of getting access to fairly powerful animals. They are pretty easy to tame, though.

* The non-violence trait has specific chances of manifesting in each type of maiden. Very much deliberate.

That last point I think they were meaning their Maidens LOST the trait after ascending, they weren't talking about how they gain it, lol

Ahhh. Yeah, that's something I'm aware. Because of the way the Nephila mod generates pawns, it rerolls their traits every time. The lore justification is that their backgrounds and personalities are overwritten on evolution, though the mechanites leave their memory of their contemporary relationships in place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 12:19 PM, HiveBro said:

I found the Nephilia run to be actually pretty hard. Infected pawns slow down to a crawl eventually, which makes everything incredibly less efficient, and thus more challenging to run the colony smoothly. In the scenario where you start already infected, you are practically on a timer until you can't even defend yourself directly - and pray your colonist has enough construction to handle traps. 

Taming the snakes is - for me - a lot more work than what it's worth, because:

*They aren't particularly good fighters (animals are, in my experience, very, very hard to keep alive - specially in CE). 

*They consume your food supply, which you desperately need due to one of the main malus of the nephilias - that being hunger rate. 

*You have to go through the process of taming them entirely

*They take some time to mature - while not a lot, it's a factor to consider

*More importantly, they have a chance to go berserk on a failed taming attempt - and considering that many nephilias are incapable of violence, and simultaneously incapable of running away, critically failing a taming attempt may result in losing one of your pawns

I know that the scintillating pool is essential for getting more pawns - but producing more nephilias - which are very inefficient at doing anything except craft and research work - is kind of like shooting yourself in the foot when the main methods of acquiring food require a lot of movement and farming space, and more space also equates more defenses, and more walls, and more space to cover, which aggravates the situation by necessitating to cover more terrain, which again, is the worst thing that nephilas handle. 

One last oddity I noticed is that the maidens are supposed to be the "fastest", but I had about the same movement ratio with the first three variants. 

1 hour ago, TheHentaiGod14 said:

so why is it the the Nephila are non-violent? It just makes the awakened empire scenario harder then it has to be

Only some are non-violent. You can roll violence capable Nephila.

On 7/20/2021 at 6:17 AM, icelandia said:

I found the Nephilia run to be actually pretty hard. Infected pawns slow down to a crawl eventually, which makes everything incredibly less efficient, and thus more challenging to run the colony smoothly. In the scenario where you start already infected, you are practically on a timer until you can't even defend yourself directly - and pray your colonist has enough construction to handle traps. 

Taming the snakes is - for me - a lot more work than what it's worth, because:

*They aren't particularly good fighters (animals are, in my experience, very, very hard to keep alive - specially in CE). 

*They consume your food supply, which you desperately need due to one of the main malus of the nephilias - that being hunger rate. 

*You have to go through the process of taming them entirely

*They take some time to mature - while not a lot, it's a factor to consider

*More importantly, they have a chance to go berserk on a failed taming attempt - and considering that many nephilias are incapable of violence, and simultaneously incapable of running away, critically failing a taming attempt may result in losing one of your pawns

I know that the scintillating pool is essential for getting more pawns - but producing more nephilias - which are very inefficient at doing anything except craft and research work - is kind of like shooting yourself in the foot when the main methods of acquiring food require a lot of movement and farming space, and more space also equates more defenses, and more walls, and more space to cover, which aggravates the situation by necessitating to cover more terrain, which again, is the worst thing that nephilas handle. 

One last oddity I noticed is that the maidens are supposed to be the "fastest", but I had about the same movement ratio with the first three variants. 

I'll think about buffing them. Maybe make them autotame. Do yours actually go berserk? I set the wildness of the Cherubs near to zero, so that should almost never happen.

Sometimes breast size can slow down Nephila in unexpected ways, leading to higher tier being faster than lower tier. It's not supposed to, and I've tried to keep it from happening (mostly by tweaking values in the RJW race support mod), but still does seem to be an issue sometimes. I'm aware of the issue, though, and would like to fix it some day.

Just wanted to let folks know that I'm working on an Ideology update. Going to be basic--getting things working well enough so that you can play with the mod--for now. Just don't have time to do more than that. Unless the issues I've noted are worse than I think, it should be available in a week or so.

The chance might be low, but taming is still a skill-based action with a roll-based outcome.

You can fail several times before you succeed - and every failure can lead to a berserk. I can't say it happens often, but - again - given the condition of the nephilia, taking the time to tame the cherubs is just not worth the effort. 

Another thing I forgot to bring up before - nephilia pawns can get infected with nephilism. This seems kinda weird - shouldn't they be immune to their own condition? 

Given that every bite from the cherubs seems to have 100% chance to infect, and that the nephilias already consume a lot of food, this can be really crippling. 

At the cost of even higher hunger rates. 

At that point the routine of a pawn consists in Eat>Work>Eat>Work>Eat>Work>Eat>Sleep, repeat. 

Unless you are cheating to mass produce food, this practically destroys a colony - or forces you to remove infected nephilas.

I don't think this is what you are going for here, hence why I point it out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 7:54 PM, Tooca said:

Is there a version compatible with 1.2? There's mention in the thread about this mod being compatible with 1.2, but trying to load it in 1.2 throws a ton of errors and crashes the game when trying to start a new game.

"nephila-rjw-master 1.2 v1.zip" works with Version 1.2, if you're getting errors and crashes when trying to start a new game, it could be due to other mods you're using or a miss-ordered mod load. Your load order should look something like this:
Harmony
Core
Royalty
HugsLib
Your Other Mods
Humanoid Alien Races 2.0
Your Other Mods

Nephila Mod
Your Other Mods
RimJobWorld
RimJobWorld Race Support.

Many of the on-start Errors are harmless to saves, and you can remove some of them if you worry by having either Rimworld of Magic or Androids installed.

On 8/14/2021 at 10:59 PM, SCRUBLORDPICKLE said:

"nephila-rjw-master 1.2 v1.zip" works with Version 1.2, if you're getting errors and crashes when trying to start a new game, it could be due to other mods you're using or a miss-ordered mod load. Your load order should look something like this:
Harmony
Core
Royalty
HugsLib
Your Other Mods
Humanoid Alien Races 2.0
Your Other Mods

Nephila Mod
Your Other Mods
RimJobWorld
RimJobWorld Race Support.

Many of the on-start Errors are harmless to saves, and you can remove some of them if you worry by having either Rimworld of Magic or Androids installed.

Yeah it seemed to have been an incompatibility with another mod.

That's good to know about the errors, but is there any way to fix, or at least suppress them? Its a bit of logspam with them.

4 hours ago, Tooca said:

Yeah it seemed to have been an incompatibility with another mod.

That's good to know about the errors, but is there any way to fix, or at least suppress them? Its a bit of logspam with them.

The Bulk of Errors, at least for me, are from Hats from different mods. Never bothered dealing with them as they never impacted my games.
My only guess for dealing with them would be to have the associated mod.
I'm personally getting Errors for Apparello and Rimworld of Madness Hats, and if I install the mods the errors do go away.

Edited by SCRUBLORDPICKLE
Typo

https://gist.github.com/ddfc8f9a5af4f538a312eedf09ba8bb2

There's a problem with the back of Nephila Grand Matron looking exactly like the front.
And how do I manage Grand Matron? She is so slow that it seems hard to eat or sleep in her room.

------

mod list

------

RuntimeGC

Harmony

Core

Royalty

[RKTM] Core

HugsLib

Humanoid Alien Race 2.0

MoHAR hediffs

Hat Display Selection

Nephila Hpreg Mod (WIP)

Gloomy Face mk2

Gloomy Hair mk2

RimJobWorld

RJW - RaceSupport

BnC

RNW

OTY_NUDE Unofficial Update

Licentia Labs

제목 없음.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 6:04 PM, forsakenbemon said:

maybe its just me but i get to intense craving then it just disappears i try and add hedif but again it just vanishes any clues ive been trying to work this out all day

edit: i have all dlc and requirements link to log below

https://gist.github.com/76ec1f37d590f730c5a016802de30032

What could be happening is the Hediff is naturally fading away. The HeDiff has a severity gain of 4.5 per day, meaning it takes a pawn roughly 10-12 days to transform, depending on if they transform at 90 Severity or 100, unfortunately I don't personally know what threshold needs to be passed for Transformation and unfortunately I don't have a setup where I can test anything at the moment.

The Nephila Sickness Disease is coded in the same way Mechanite Diseases are, meaning Severity severity slowly increaes, and the disease lasts a specific amount of in-game Ticks. Mean while, Infections slowly gain severity and immunity. The In-Game description for the Neph. Sickness says that it fades after a year or so, and 10-12 days is much shorter than a full in-game year (60 days), meaning it should be easy for a pawn to turn into a Nephila on paper right? Wrong.

In almost all my time playing with this mod I was able to prevent pawns from turning into Nephila Maidens intentionally or not so often that it became frustrating turning pawns into Nephila Pawns. Rimworld have many different ways of slowling and halting diseases I had to find work arounds to the Nephila Sickness Hediff.
1. Having Pawns tend to the infected individual will speed up how quickly the disease goes away, and how slowly Severity is built up.
2. Bed Rest: A job that every pawn will have unless you specifically take it away from them. If the pawn is sick and nothing more important needs doing, they'll rest in their bed, slowing Severity Gain and increasing the speed the disease goes away.
3. Blood Filtration: Having higher Blood Filtration will cause Severity to increase more slowly, and the disease to disappear more quickly.

There are other factors like Immunity Gain speed, but I don't believe they apply to this disease because it's a Mechanite Disease.

So; What I personally recommend you do if you want a pawn to become a Nephila: Turn on Developer Mode, and then get some Nephila Maiden Embrace. It's a drug you can make and it's a very common reward from Raids. Feed a bottle to a pawn via the medical tab, and then turn on whatever it's called to see the Details of Hediffs. When remaining Ticks get low, feed the pawn another Bottle of Nephila Maiden Embrace, it'll keep the severity (if not adding more) and reset the remaining ticks until the Hediff fades away, allowing a slow,  but painless way of getting a Nephila pawn without risk of dying to Nephila Cheribums/Seraphims or getting a garbage Nephila pawn by spawning them from the Cocooned One.

TL;DR: Read last paragraph.
Some of the Information may be wrong, I don't know everything perfectly and I do not have anyway of currently testing this on Rimworld, but I am reasonably confident in everything I've said is true.

Edited by SCRUBLORDPICKLE
Put everything in a quote to hopefully decrease the size.
On 9/3/2021 at 5:58 PM, forsakenbemon said:

question for anyone who knows what are the requirements to get the stages of the nephila infection this has happened a few times where i get to severity 100 but no change am i missing something or just dumb

Never encountered this before, does the pawn have a Nephila Mechanite Inhibitor installed in them? Nephila Pawns will sometimes get an Inhibitor when evolving.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:37 AM, zblackcapricorn said:

I do not know what I am doing wrong, but the cocooned one always seem to expire before they do anything.

Yeah, that happens to me as well, it's not 100% of the time but it is frequent enough for me to get frustrated. If you turn on God Mode you can click a button on the Cocooned ones to pop out a Coalescing Maiden, a bit cheaty but I usually destroy the building afterwards.