Instinct Program V.030c (24/03/2013)

I would like to also add a vote of praise here (though I would also like to be able to skip the tutorial - my favorite character concept [dutiful, idealistic, quiet and trusting] pretty much requires I not be aware of the tutorial). And the current game play doesn't even need any of the skills expressed in the tutorial.

@DrGrimReaper

I am very glad that you like it. ^^

@sen4mi

I probably will add an option to let people skip the tutorial (are you referring to the whole zombie combat part?). However, I am a bit confused about what you said ([dutiful, idealistic, quiet and trusting] pretty much requires I not be aware of the tutorial), care to elaborate? 

P.s I changed my combat system, so there will be more combat in the game.

@sen4mi

I probably will add an option to let people skip the tutorial (are you referring to the whole zombie combat part?). However, I am a bit confused about what you said ([dutiful, idealistic, quiet and trusting] pretty much requires I not be aware of the tutorial), care to elaborate? 

I like playing naive characters who get in over their heads.  Call it "hard mode" maybe? 

Philosophically speaking: In real life, I learn from my mistakes. In games, my mistakes are not painful like they are in real life.

Anyways, you have put a lot of work into "bad ends" but also into failure mode gameplay which allows me to keep playing. But if I play the tutorial I feel all protective and defensive, and I am not inclined to explore failure states in the game.

This is near the limit of my ability to express how I am thinking, here. Is it enough for you? If you need further elaboration, perhaps you could feed back to me some of how I seem to come across to you? I appreciate curiosity, but I also feel like I would need to understand your perspective if I was going to address it.

Irregardless... thank you for your efforts in putting together this game!

I can't say I understand fully, but if adding a option to skip the intro will let you enjoy my game more, I will add the option in. 

I believe that what he was saying is, he would like to play after the bad endings. I assume he is referring to the stripper ending. Would be a cool idea to play as the stripper, I think.

@sen4mi

I like playing naive characters who get in over their heads.  Call it "hard mode" maybe? 

Philosophically speaking: In real life, I learn from my mistakes. In games, my mistakes are not painful like they are in real life.

Anyways, you have put a lot of work into "bad ends" but also into failure mode gameplay which allows me to keep playing. But if I play the tutorial I feel all protective and defensive, and I am not inclined to explore failure states in the game.

This is near the limit of my ability to express how I am thinking, here. Is it enough for you? If you need further elaboration, perhaps you could feed back to me some of how I seem to come across to you? I appreciate curiosity, but I also feel like I would need to understand your perspective if I was going to address it.

Irregardless... thank you for your efforts in putting together this game!

Tell me if I'm wrong in my interpretation, but the way I'm interpreting what you are saying is due to the events in the tutorial, you, as a player, know about the future events awaiting Adeline, and as a result, the knowledge in your head keeps you from letting her make decisions as though she is unaware of the things that you, the player, know? Although I can understand this view (assuming it's the correct one to get from your post), the way I see it, it is only the player that knows this information. Adeline, the character, has no idea about the events that have transpired in the tutorial, and as such, she is perfectly free to act as naive and innocent towards the situation as possible. All she knows is that Christine is missing. Just how you asked, I'd like to ask the same of you, let me know if what I'm saying makes sense. :) I hope this is a somewhat accurate grasp of the situation, and that you can also grasp where we are coming from. But like Alako says, it should be no trouble to simply throw up an option to sip the tutorial. 

And for the record, I like playing naive, innocent characters as well. ;)

Tell me if I'm wrong in my interpretation, but the way I'm interpreting what you are saying is due to the events in the tutorial, you, as a player, know about the future events awaiting Adeline, and as a result, the knowledge in your head keeps you from letting her make decisions as though she is unaware of the things that you, the player, know? 

Yes.

Although I can understand this view (assuming it's the correct one to get from your post), the way I see it, it is only the player that knows this information. Adeline, the character, has no idea about the events that have transpired in the tutorial, and as such, she is perfectly free to act as naive and innocent towards the situation as possible. All she knows is that Christine is missing. Just how you asked, I'd like to ask the same of you, let me know if what I'm saying makes sense.  :)

I am, perhaps, being too demanding.

But this intro puts me into a particular mood - i have had enough of similar feelings in real life. So mostly I click through it really fast. I should use a saved game, perhaps, to accomplish this, but rags saved games get lost in the noise, and I am never quite sure I understand when I am breaking rags.

Edit: I mean.. I am never quite sure I can avoid breaking rags.

And for the record, I like playing naive, innocent characters as well.  ;)

:cool:

But this intro puts me into a particular mood - i have had enough of similar feelings in real life. So mostly I click through it really fast. I should use a saved game, perhaps, to accomplish this, but rags saved games get lost in the noise, and I am never quite sure I understand when I am breaking rags.

Rags saves are associated with the game file, so if you change the game file the save won't work.  Sometimes, if the game file is the same name, they can load, but usually bug out.

I am changing and adding stuff to the city as well, for an semi-open world game, old game save will become extremely buggy. That's the main reason why I prefer big updates instead of pumping out a new version of my game every week or two.

• 4 weeks later...

I get an error message  when I try to play the demo. "Sorry, this RAGS game file is unreadable"

One likely reason is that you didn't download the file and save in your pc. Instead you open the file direct when you download. Rags file have to be save to pc instead to run. =]

This issue occurs when you don't have the Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP2 package installed. SQL Server Compact 4.0 won't work with Rags.

64 bit systems need to install the x86 version first, and then the x64 version ontop of that (the download comes packed with both).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 year later...