is it worth it to install fallout

So ive been dropping back into the f4 threads for a while.. and just a quick question. Is it worth it to install and mod F4 ? Can i get it running reliably and have a good selection of mods and animations ? Im like 1700hrs into skyrim modding and i really wana change things up - so im just curious if i could get a good running, reliable sex modded playable game in say a nights worth of work downloading / config

Thanks !

Sure, you can do that. I've found that modding FO4 is much easier than Skyrim since the game itself is generally more stable. I loaded into an old save one time that was from at least a year ago and I was missing many of those mods. I didn't expect it to load, let alone run for very long. It loaded just fine and I played it for several hours (with some missing objects and stuff) and it didn't crash once.

I had the early sex mods installed made by Doc and others, but I haven't tried any of the new ones or the AAF framework. But, I've been told they work really well. There is a good variety of mods available for this game. Just not anywhere near as much as Skyrim.

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Yeah it defenitly does not have skyrims content level- but ive never actually played F4 so it would be all new. I kinda figured if i could make the game pretty, throw in then essental mods, get it kinda kinky, add some textures few gunmods and just stuff to spruce up the game then go thru it knowing nothing it would be a new experence... i kinda know enough that i should be able to build it in the first few attemps.

Are there any mod guides floating around on some thread or some common issues that ill run into running a new new game to save me headake ?

1 hour ago, NiaticLabs said:

Also, i need ALL the DLCs at this point ?

You'll find that a good portion of mods depend on the dlc. I had a few mods that I used to make FO4 look pretty, but they were not updated to work with the later versions- so I couldn't use them anymore. You see, CC or "Creation Club" keeps updating FO4 for their paid mods and this tends to "break" existing mods that were made for an earlier version using a specific version of the script extender or whatever. It can be very irritating. Other than that, I can't think of any one thing that you would need to know in order to mod this game. I started modding it when I didn't know jack-shit about modding and had very few problems.

A few mods that I would recommend would be Tales from the Commonwealth, Diamond City Expansion, and maybe Sim Settlements. I also like Portable Workshop in conjunction with Scrap Everything. You'll usually find a mod or two for just about everything you can think of in this game.

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Sure, you can do that. I've found that modding FO4 is much easier than Skyrim since the game itself is generally more stable.

Depends on what version of Skyrim you're comparing to. FO4 is more stable compared to LE, but compared to SSE it's a total clusterfuck of CTDs and potential conflicts.

I've tried to get back to FO4 recently and realized that most mods I've been using several months ago got a bunch of updates that are incompatible with their previous versions. RSE has been rewritten from the scratch again, most of AAF patches are completely outdated, so, for example, the AAF patch for RSE Advanced Needs (Advanced Needs is hosted on Nexus now - along with the patch, I might add) caused crashes instantly - it took me a while to figure it out. AAF itself got its patch set rewritten again, so it has to be completely reinstalled now.  And generally, I'd say, AAF is a major PITA to install compared to SexLab - you can't just install it and animations, you need to install additional patches for this and that, with a risk of breaking skeletons, so dead supermutants just get stuck in a default position and you can't loot them (yes, I know about "One Patch to Bang them all", and I'm talking about it specifically), it has no choice of voices, and the choice of animations is notably lower.

IOW @NiaticLabs if you want sex mods on FO4 - prepare for some battle ahead, I doubt you'll figure out the proper load order in one evening. There are several mods you can install safely IMO - like Family Planning Enhanced, RSE, AAF Violate and AAF Sex Them Up, but generally the quality of FO4 sex mods... varies. And isn't on the Skyrim level yet, both in features, polish and stability.

A few mods that I would recommend would be Tales from the Commonwealth, Diamond City Expansion, and maybe Sim Settlements. I also like Portable Workshop in conjunction with Scrap Everything. You'll usually find a mod or two for just about everything you can think of in this game.

Ill defenitly look into those mods

Okay DL all the DLC as well

Thats what i was reading is to disable updates so CC doesnt break oldermods.

Anything else ?

7 minutes ago, phillout said:

I've tried to get back to FO4 recently and realized that most mods I've been using several months ago got a bunch of updates that are incompatible with their previous versions. RSE has been rewritten from the scratch again, most of AAF patches are completely outdated, so, for example, the AAF patch for RSE Advanced Needs (Advanced Needs is hosted on Nexus now - along with the patch, I might add) caused crashes instantly - it took me a while to figure it out. AAF itself got its patch set rewritten again, so it has to be completely reinstalled now.  And generally, I'd say, AAF is a major PITA to install compared to SexLab - you can't just install it and animations, you need to install additional patches for this and that, with a risk of breaking skeletons, so dead supermutants just get stuck in a default position and you can't loot them (yes, I know about "One Patch to Bang them all", and I'm talking about it specifically), it has no choice of voices, and the choice of animations is notably lower.

I updated to one version of FO4 about a six months ago and haven't updated it since. That way, I get versions of mods that work together for my game and stick with them. True that CC really fucked modding for FO4 compared to before and that installing and running a bunch of mods in one night probably ain't gonna happen. Haven't modded SSE, so I can't compare.

19 minutes ago, NiaticLabs said:

Ill defenitly look into those mods

Okay DL all the DLC as well

Thats what i was reading is to disable updates so CC doesnt break oldermods.

Anything else ?

I don't think so. That's pretty much the main kicker for this game- the updates that break mods. Oh, and there is a cell reset bug in some parts....meaning don't try to build anything there or anything cause it will disappear. Quincy is notorious for this as well as some others I don't remember. Jamaica Plains is a pain as well. I leave it vanilla.

1 hour ago, phillout said:

Good to know, worst case scenerio ill go thru and build up the basic gameplay mods, textures, ENB, guns, clothes and body get that stable and have a working playable load

Then start to layer on the wierd shit, since most of that stuff is generally where conficts are anyway ill be able to rule out vanilla mods and save some headake

57 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Awesome. I was a little worried that id have to go to some crazy russian website and download some obscure patch to enable basic mod compatabilites lol- i mean not that im sure that wont happen at somepoint- but its a pain in the ass when its a core file and you had no idea besides some footnote in a post

With AAF, just don't try to install every single thing related to it all it once. Start with the basics and test as working. Then, if there are additional packs, features, changes that you are seeking add and test those in after.

Many of the problems people have stem from installing 20 things at a time and then not knowing which one is in the wrong order, outdated or broken.

Also, I would highly recommend installing the mods that overhaul the tree sizes and frequency and grass volume. It makes the game feel a lot larger and suspenseful. When you can see vast distances all the time, it kind of breaks the effect that worked well in Skyrim.

Yeah, im just going to bomb Bethesda HQ - Honest to fucking god- - I had shit working cuz i downloaded the game a few nights ago so i had 1.10.138 or whatever and built up id say about 70-80 mods around it since i stared this thread : then i guess at some point in the last 11 hours it updated and broke EVERYTHING i just tried to do.... Had i know this was a issue i would not have spent the 50 bucks to buy all the DLC's and shit, Literally this is the dumbest shit and now i see why their modding scene is fucking dead. I seriously might be requesting a refund. I'm not sure this is worth the headake. Fuck bethesda and fuck this gay shit.

I fix'd it: Thats seriously stupid tho.

There are very few valid reasons to install Fallout 4 IMO, and aside from taking a break from Skyrim the next one would be Heather Casdin - one of the best followers in all Bethesda games ever, custom or not. It made by the same author who created Willow for F:NV, but she has obviously gone a long way since then. The character is very polished, adult and fits the world really well. A sole survivor of a synth's attack she reminds me of Sarah Connor from T2, just with less insanity. She is using a custom follower system, so you may use along her with any other follower, though I don't see much of a reason personally. And Dogmeat is annoying AF with that habit of getting in front of me no matter where I turn, usually right in the passage I about to pass.

I just wish I could also have Niner from F:NV in FO4. Especially in a combination with a patch for Smokeable Joints mod. He and Heather would really make a nice company to have around.

2 hours ago, phillout said:

Actually im kinda glad you linked that, it was one of the reasons my intrest in fallout peaked and im def going to put that in my load order, i just couldnt find it cuz shits a mess.

Taking a break from skyrim is a huge reason im doing this as well... my skyrim is solid and doesnt give me any issues anymore- but i think ive seen almost every single inch of the world and om kinda just looking into someone unknown.

Ive never once played fo4 so this literally is my first playthru. Goal is to make it work, semi pretty and have some spice to it then go for a first time thru knowing literally nothing about the map, guns or locations. If successful and with a good load order i think it will be exactly the refresher nessecary.

Also... can anyone tell me how i can confirm mods are enabled ( like just general mods) without leaving the very first scene in the house. Ideally id like to have it configured there then start the mainquest.

And.. whats the deal with console ? How the fuck do i search items ? Typing "help xxxxx " shows nothing.

I have much to learn. Lol

EDIT: i mean MCM mods- NOT texture /lighting mods. Theres a few mods thay have MCM menus that arent popping up- do i need to lave spawn house or ???

A lot of mods only activate once the real game starts (i.e. after leaving a pod). Some activate only after leaving the vault. Don't quote me on that though - I've never started the game w/o an alternate start since the first playthrough, the level of annoyance of the game intro in FO4 puts Skyrim's carriage riding to shame - in Skyrim you could just sit back and relax, and in FO4 you're supposed to perform those stupid pointless time-wasting rituals for about 10 minutes of your life. I'd actually advise installing at least the basic version of Start Me Up on the next playthrough - so you can skip the intro and just jump to the moment you're leaving the pod, nothing else is changed.

And also

help xxxx 0

You need to put a filter after the search parameters in FO4

2 hours ago, NiaticLabs said:

Actually im kinda glad you linked that, it was one of the reasons my intrest in fallout peaked and im def going to put that in my load order, i just couldnt find it cuz shits a mess.

I did appearance overhaul of her. Some people seem to like it. BTW, llama has said she is working on a brand new follower for SSE. That link I gave to Tales from the Commonwealth has some of the best followers outside of Heather. With this mod you can have a whole army of followers if you want.

1 hour ago, phillout said:

Damn, that makes alot of sense.. ive been cofiguring stuff and wondering why it was not taking effect.. so if i go thru the start leave the vault and make that my base save. From that point mods will become active and the real troubleshooting starts. Now is it safe at that point to install new mods into the load order before procceding into the game ? Sounds like thats common practice - or should i go thru the start (for the first time ever mind you) just to get backstory then install start me up and use that to create a new save each time i trouboeshoot mods ?

Noted on params- i was seriosly wondering  so if my imput is say "help sexyvest 0" itll generate a list of stuff that matches thay keywoed? Correct ? Imma download item searchwr latee but i have no understanding of fo4 console commands right now

Damn. Thats actually awesome because of OG looks real close to my character(using lara croft base) so the appearance change really adds some varity-

Also- can you elaborate on that settlements mod. It seems like they are a BIG part of the coregame and was wondering if using that mod from the start really is benefical.

Edit:mind the spelling- currently phoneposting- PITA

33 minutes ago, NiaticLabs said:

Also- can you elaborate on that settlements mod. It seems like they are a BIG part of the coregame and was wondering if using that mod from the start really is benefical.

Sim Settlements? You don't need it, but some people like it for the autobuilding it does. Like you can assign a settler to a station and it upgrades through several stages and brings in caps, materials and stuff. It's more for people who don't like to build shit themselves. I set it up with this mod and it kinda worked. But, like I said....it may not be to your tastes.

One mod you will definitely want is Looksmenu. With that mod you can change not just your chars appearance anytime, anywhere- but most other npcs, followers in the game. Just type "slm player" or "slm id" where "id" is the character's id. Just click on them for that. Turn the head and stuff to make sure it's them.

I would also suggest finding a mod to control or stop settlement attacks. The game kinda goes crazy with that shit at the worst times, trying to force you to travel half-way across the map to hold your settlers hand, lol. I just tend to ignore those messages. Note that if you don't assign any settlers to a settlement, the game will not ever spawn a random attack against it.

8 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Jesus! I was trying to figure that out. But ive been diving thru so much text lately ive probally glossed over it- i was hoping have a huge skyrim config background would help but the more i read the more it seems FO4 is setup competely diffrently, and well... barebones like skyrim was back in the day.

Got any other recommendations for a green start? Stuff to lookout for ? Imma do CBBE and the RIS mod packs anything i should know about them or AAF ? Like where should i even start installing outside of vault ?

Oh, you will probably want this as well. It adds a lot of modifications to weapons and armor. The vanilla weapons are ok, but you should look and see what's available to add more variety since pipe weapons suck. This game is heavy on combat and is more a shooter than an rpg. Can't think of anything else. I think you'll find that most mods can be installed anytime you want. I just played the game, thought of something I wanted to change and either made it or downloaded it and I never needed to start a new game really.

8 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Yep, I got that on my list- Just sat down at the PC and imma run thru the vault and then start doing the non texture based mods - That's really good to hear tho that I can just drop things in without having to restart a entire new game (unless mod says otherwise)  I'm using this -->https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23556 as my building guide- Am i correct in following this dudes thinking ? If it can get me off my feet and walking I can learn to run later- Any suggestions in that area ?

I just realized i downloaded your vault girl mod last night too, lol. So lemme say thanks for that! and for the help/ guidance

14 minutes ago, NiaticLabs said:

Yep, I got that on my list- Just sat down at the PC and imma run thru the vault and then start doing the non texture based mods - That's really good to hear tho that I can just drop things in without having to restart a entire new game (unless mod says otherwise)  I'm using this -->https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/23556 as my building guide- Am i correct in following this dudes thinking ? If it can get me off my feet and walking I can learn to run later- Any suggestions in that area ?

I just realized i downloaded your vault girl mod last night too, lol. So lemme say thanks for that! and for the help/ guidance

Yeah, it's pretty recent so it should be fine. Good luck!

Archived