Custom Follower FPS Drop

Co7Vc3

Hello folks. I'm currently attempting to figure out why every time I have Companion Selene Kate around me, my fps drops about 10 to 15. I read over the authors page and searched online to no avail. I know author suggest that I replace her skeleton with the one I'm currently using and I've tried 3 different methods. No results.  There is one difference from other post I've been reading with same issues that have gotten resolved and mine is that I am using Vortex, so maybe I am not replacing the correct skeletons or somewhere along those lines something (Vortex) is not working right with the skeleton overwrite. I will take the mod off if I have to because after messing with graphical ENBS and other stuff for the last week achieving somewhat mediocre results (30-40 fps which is fine, playable, but unfortunately it would eventually start decreasing gradually as I played and CTD), getting back to 60 fps on clean install with all mods I had except ENB's is great and dropping back down to low 40's is not something I'm willing to sacrifice for her but she is pretty darn good and I have a soft spot for her Underworld character. =/

In retrospect, I'm wondering if I could have squeezed those same 10+ fps she is costing me when I had the ENB and maybe I would have been in the high 40's or 50's. Crazy. 

Any ideas? I will be removing her for now until I can figure it out with some help. Thank you much!

Two things in regards to NPC overhauls/changers.

Skeleton

If you use custom skeleton, like XPMSE or alike, you need to make sure that all human NPCs are using the same skeleton, otherwise it will cause severe FPS issues.

Many times, custom followers also come with their own skeleton_female.nif file. You will need to replace it with your custom skeleton file.

Textures

Sometimes female followers come with giant 4K textures. Replace those with the texture, that other female NPCs use in your game (e.g. Demoniac, Fair Skin, etc...).

She will lose her texture features by author, but you can change her with any other textures however you like.

Meshes

I also always replace the meshes with CBBE, since I use it.

20 minutes ago, Nagib said:

Skeleton

If you use custom skeleton, like XPMSE or alike, you need to make sure that all human NPCs are using the same skeleton, otherwise it will cause severe FPS issues.

Many times, custom followers also come with their own skeleton_female.nif file. You will need to replace it with your custom skeleton file.

Textures

Sometimes female followers come with giant 4K textures. Replace those with the texture, that other female NPCs use in your game (e.g. Demoniac, Fair Skin, etc...).

She will lose her texture features by author, but you can change her with any other textures however you like.

Meshes

Great, I'll try this. I only replaced her HKS file, she didn't have a female nif in her folder. Question though, when replacing or copying these files, do I take them from my mod folder in vortex (Ie, the xpmse mod folder) or do I take the one from the Data folder in skyrim? I imagine I'm dragging the skeleton to her folder under mods in Vortex.

I also found this on another page, is it possible this is the fix?

"I think its for compatibility why authors dont add skeleton for their followers

some follower mods have their own skeleton. like selene kate follower its skeleton is inside the .bsa I had to extract and delete that cos it has fewer bones than what I use and its conflicting"

On 4/23/2019 at 6:51 PM, Co7Vc3 said:

Great, I'll try this. I only replaced her HKS file, she didn't have a female nif in her folder. Question though, when replacing or copying these files, do I take them from my mod folder in vortex (Ie, the xpmse mod folder) or do I take the one from the Data folder in skyrim? I imagine I'm dragging the skeleton to her folder under mods in Vortex.

Copy from XPMSE with overwrite.

On ‎4‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:33 PM, Nagib said:

Skeleton

Textures

Meshes

That's three things.

XPMSE should be the default skeleton. It should be allowed to overwrite everything and nothing should ever be allowed to overwrite it. I have never had a problem with a follower's skeleton.

Follower textures can indeed hammer your VRAM. The first thing I do with a follower is to check their texture and change it something more civilised if necessary.

Changing meshes changes the body shape and if you change that you will probably have to change the outfit.

So following your advice all you have left of the follower is the scripts and any voice files.

4 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

That's three things.

XPMSE should be the default skeleton. It should be allowed to overwrite everything and nothing should ever be allowed to overwrite it. I have never had a problem with a follower's skeleton.

Follower textures can indeed hammer your VRAM. The first thing I do with a follower is to check their texture and change it something more civilised if necessary.

Changing meshes changes the body shape and if you change that you will probably have to change the outfit.

So following your advice all you have left of the follower is the scripts and any voice files.

Totally precise. ?

I forgot to write, that Meshes are optional.
I change them, to my BodyGen generated ones.

I see you are not familiar with skeleton FPS drop.

On the skeleton FPS issues you can read here: FPS drop

Also, for example I install "Tania" follower. I drop 10-15 fps when looking at her, unless I change her "skeleton_female.nif" and the FPS drop is gone.

Archived