Hard Drive Won't Shut Up

Darkening Demise

Yeah so this has been happening for ever since I got this shit hard drive for $50 on Amazon. Its a WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

At first it was easy to shut up I just placed heavy things on my desk next to the case thinking it was the vibration but its not stopping. I sat it on the floor on the carpet thinking that would help absorb the vibration and quiet it down but nope. So I just kicked the case a few times till it shut up and it was working for a while too. But now its loud and I've about had it. Not sure what to do. There's no mount in the case its one of those slide storage device into a tray and put onto a shelf type case. Is that the problem? The bloody thing needs to be screwed onto a case wall?

Case: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3MPfrH/deepcool-case-tesseractsw

HDD: https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Deskptop-1Terabyte-5400-7200RPM-Applications/dp/B06XR3LT6W/ref=sr_1_9?crid=3I1E2F5JKFQ6H&keywords=wd+blue+1tb&qid=1555720082&s=electronics&sprefix=wd+blue+%2Celectronics%2C183&sr=1-9

thats sounds like fan mate not the drive.

try unpluggin the case fans (not your cpu fan) and see if it shuts up.

but if its not the fan

is it still in warranty?

if so just rma the fucker.

doesnt matter that it was bought from amazon westerndigital handles the rma anyways.

Its ALWAYS been like this so if its dying then its been dying for 2 years now. lol

It quiets down after a while when I start up my PC. When I turn on my PC it gets loud and after a while calms down. But I still nudge the case to shut it up completely.

I can't find wires for the fan if that's it. Because any wires is hidden under the parts in the case. Like the shelves for HDDs and SSDs are screwed in that area.

well if its been like that for 2 years maybe it was faulty disc. normally new hardrive should make less noise or no noise at all only when they are fragmented will they cause noise other then that could be fan issue. but it is not healthy for drive to make so much noise.

Also make sure the disk is attached correctly or it will resonate your case making even more strange noises especially when the disk usage goes to 100 % all the time 

It's a multi-speed spindle drive, and they were either hit or miss in terms of how much noise you heard.  Not much you can really do except isolate the drive.  Either putting it into a HDD dampener or simply putting up with it.  Kicking it does nothing but slow the drive down.  All HDD's made in the last decade or so auto-thottle their speed and/or lock their head into place so they won't lose data with any type of hard movement like that.

How these things work?  In a low demand state i.e. PC is idle, or the request for data isn't a high priority, or it doesn't need to read a whole pile of data the drive spins at 5400RPM.  This keeps the drive cool, lowers power consumption, this is great for laptops where battery life is a big thing.  But, when there's a request for a lot of data all at once, like during startup, loading a game, media intensive file the drive spins up to 7200RPM and as much data is read or written as possible.  That's what that "whirr" noise is, the drive being spun up and then idled back down.  The multi-speed drives are kinda a mix between "good and great" in dealing with heat, read/write, reliability issues, and so-on.

Big improvements over following years, because like you people got sick and tired of the noise.  Going from 40dB to 70dB is pretty noticeable, and jarring if you're doing anything like watching media or playing a game.

Archived