Skyrim SE for Beginners - V 3.2.6 (3BBB / HDT-SMP / HPH)

52 minutes ago, Aylis said:

@Yrral

For the game you have to switch between the exe files. As long as you have a backup of the old executable you should be able to switch between SE and AE (same trick as before when a Bethesda update broke mods for SE).

In MO2 you can use different instances (aka one for SE and one for AE). But, with all the differences regarding the 'gameplay' mods, it will take a lot of space. For SAEB the created DynDOLOD files require roughly 30GB. The ones for SSEB are smaller (no seasons) but having both and all the different gameplay mods adds up much faster than you imagine.

I' ok so far. I guess what I don't understand is how you create the AE instance. My SE points to "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimSE.exe".

Sorry, I think I'm just getting to old to learn this stuff.

@Yrral

Just make a copy of 'SkyrimSE.exe' and name it 'SkyrimSE.exe.BACKUP'. And when you got a new version of the game make a copy again and call it 'SkyrimSE.exe.NEW'. Now you have the option to switch between versions by just deleting 'SkyrimSE.exe' and renaming a new copy of the version you want to use.

Edited by Aylis
1 hour ago, Aylis said:

@Yrral

Just make a copy of 'SkyrimSE.exe' and name it 'SkyrimSE.exe.BACKUP'. And when you got a new version of the game make a copy again and call it 'SkyrimSE.exe.NEW'. Now you have the option to switch between versions by just deleting 'SkyrimSE.exe' and renaming a new copy of the version you want to use.

Thank you again  I made a copy of the Skyrim folder and renamed it Skyrim SE and set the path to

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition SE\SkyrimSE.exe".  For my SE games.

Uninstalled Skyrim and made a clean install.

Then I made a new instance and set the path to new install.

"D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\SkyrimSE.exe". For my AE games.

Did I do too much? I didn’t think that SE could use the AE directory. Some files in the root directory and data directories are different.

Also thanks for your builds. I really enjoyed your FO4 build.

• 1 month later...

First, I apologize for the extreme noob question.  I am installing Skyrim SE on a new computer. Havent had to do this in a few years and things have changed drastically.

I got to the step Dynamic Distant LOD something or other, and thats something new to me. Is this required? The manual reads like "How to build the DeathStar."

I found a lot of "How to" pages and NONE of them have anything in common with each other. Search on LLab is useless. Google search has thousands of results. <facepalm>.

Could someone point me to some simple instructions. Simple like you were explaining it to a child. 

TYIA

Irish

3 hours ago, Irishredneck said:

First, I apologize for the extreme noob question.  I am installing Skyrim SE on a new computer. Havent had to do this in a few years and things have changed drastically.

I got to the step Dynamic Distant LOD something or other, and that's something new to me. Is this required? The manual reads like "How to build the DeathStar."

I found a lot of "How to" pages and NONE of them have anything in common with each other. Search on LLab is useless. Google search has thousands of results. <facepalm>.

Could someone point me to some simple instructions. Simple like you were explaining it to a child. 

TYIA

Irish

I recommend bypassing Dynamic Distant LOD (Level of Detail) on your first install/test until the game is stable.  It just injects the modifications to the landscape done by mods to the

distant LOD meshes that represent the terrain at a low level of detail for performance.  The original LOD in Skyrim were set up for 2011 minimum processing specification with very low detail.

25 minutes ago, safado said:

I recommend bypassing Dynamic Distant LOD (Level of Detail) on your first install/test until the game is stable.  It just injects the modifications to the landscape done by mods to the

distant LOD meshes that represent the terrain at a low level of detail for performance.  The original LOD in Skyrim were set up for 2011 minimum processing specification with very low detail.

Perfect.

I appreciate that answer. I just want slooty chicks and swords. :))

• 2 weeks later...

every time i play skyrim use your guide to add mods, i like games to have a spicy touch.

I have no idea about mods or how they work, I just followed your guide and it worked for me. I'm going to play skyrim again, and my question will sound stupid, but

how can I implement OSEX , OSA to the list?

Should I take something into account or just install it as another mod?

this one benefits from all the improved textures ?

And in what position of the list of mods should I place it?

sorry for the stupid questions and thanks in advance

3 hours ago, Rayst said:

every time i play skyrim use your guide to add mods, i like games to have a spicy touch.

I have no idea about mods or how they work, I just followed your guide and it worked for me. I'm going to play skyrim again, and my question will sound stupid, but

how can I implement OSEX , OSA to the list?

Should I take something into account or just install it as another mod?

this one benefits from all the improved textures ?

And in what position of the list of mods should I place it?

sorry for the stupid questions and thanks in advance

If you're just starting up again, you may want to consider looking into the new AE version of the guide.

Even if you don't want to update from SE, the adult section in the AE guide does include an Osex branch to give you an idea of how to order things.

Hope that helps

6 hours ago, Bigglsby said:

If you're just starting up again, you may want to consider looking into the new AE version of the guide.

Even if you don't want to update from SE, the adult section in the AE guide does include an Osex branch to give you an idea of how to order things.

Hope that helps

As I said, it's hard for me to follow everything, thankfully there are people like you.

thank you

5 hours ago, hakto said:

When I'm loading save I have a default walk mode. It's annoying to constantly press caps lock. What could cause this?

Not sure if it's related, but an annoying aspect of the walk/run toggle in Skyrim (and Fallout) is that it is dependent on you being in live action..

What I mean by that, is if you have walk mode on, go into inventory or a menu, hit caps lock, and go back to action.. you'll still be in walk mode, but with caps lock off.   If you hit caps again, you'll be normal run mode, but with caps lock on (inverted setting).

To fix, you go back to a menu, caps toggle again, and go back to live.  Nothing is really broken, just inverted "mode".

It's possible that state carries with a save state.. so that may be what you're seeing.  Just spitballing though.

Alternatively, if you've recently edited your ini's (or ran Bethini), you may have toggled the always run by default setting.  In Bethini it's in the Gameplay tab.  Or otherwise in your SkyrimPrefs.ini, look under [Controls]

bAlwaysRunByDefault=1

should start you off with running per normal.

Edited by Bigglsby
ini setting
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2023 at 2:59 AM, Bigglsby said:

Not sure if it's related, but an annoying aspect of the walk/run toggle in Skyrim (and Fallout) is that it is dependent on you being in live action..

What I mean by that, is if you have walk mode on, go into inventory or a menu, hit caps lock, and go back to action.. you'll still be in walk mode, but with caps lock off.   If you hit caps again, you'll be normal run mode, but with caps lock on (inverted setting).

To fix, you go back to a menu, caps toggle again, and go back to live.  Nothing is really broken, just inverted "mode".

It's possible that state carries with a save state.. so that may be what you're seeing.  Just spitballing though.

Alternatively, if you've recently edited your ini's (or ran Bethini), you may have toggled the always run by default setting.  In Bethini it's in the Gameplay tab.  Or otherwise in your SkyrimPrefs.ini, look under [Controls]

bAlwaysRunByDefault=1

should start you off with running per normal.

I check my settings in SkyrimPrefs.ini and it's bAlwaysRunByDefault=1 already.

If it a saved state, how could I fix it?

9 hours ago, hakto said:

I check my settings in SkyrimPrefs.ini and it's bAlwaysRunByDefault=1 already.

If it a saved state, how could I fix it?

Does your movement speed change at all by hitting caps lock (run/walk toggle)?  If that only makes you slower, and not back to normal, then it isn't the toggle getting locked/reversed.

There is a console command that might fix, assuming your default movement speed somehow got borked (Bethesda makes anything possible).

In console (~ key):

player.setav speedmult 100

This is a configurable command to adjust base movement speed.  100 is the default setting, so the command string above tells it to be set to default again.  Hopefully that fixes it.  If not, you could bandaid fix it by increasing the speed setting (125 or 150 or more), until you find something that seems correct.  I don't know if this could cause other problems, but may make things...reasonable.

Hope that helps

On 6/7/2023 at 2:19 AM, Bigglsby said:

Does your movement speed change at all by hitting caps lock (run/walk toggle)?  If that only makes you slower, and not back to normal, then it isn't the toggle getting locked/reversed.

There is a console command that might fix, assuming your default movement speed somehow got borked (Bethesda makes anything possible).

In console (~ key):

player.setav speedmult 100

This is a configurable command to adjust base movement speed.  100 is the default setting, so the command string above tells it to be set to default again.  Hopefully that fixes it.  If not, you could bandaid fix it by increasing the speed setting (125 or 150 or more), until you find something that seems correct.  I don't know if this could cause other problems, but may make things...reasonable.

Hope that helps

I could change my state, it's just annoying to do so every save load.

3 hours ago, hakto said:

I could change my state, it's just annoying to do so every save load.

Weird... So your default state (walk/run) is reversed, but your speeds themselves are correct.  Your ini's are set as they should with run as a default.  So it really does sound like the toggle being reversed is carried in your save state... 

I've never played with save game cleaners, but there may be something in there that could be corrected...possibly. 

You could also try "rebreaking" the toggle swap...  As I'd mentioned with changing the toggle while in menu will cause it to be reversed when you're outside a menu.  Possibly try getting the reversed toggle mode (or rather corrected reversed toggle) and save in that state, and exit and reload.  Possibly try that and exiting without an exitsave.  After doing your reversed toggle adjustment, save, and bring up the console and 'QQQ' to exit directly.  Maybe that will push that state into your save and re-break to a default state.. Just spitballing and working on theory from how I've seen the run/walk toggle work. 

Weird state stuff annoys me enough that I'd have restarted.  But if you're in an invested save, I'd fight to fix it.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

As long as you revert your Skyrim SE to version 1.5.97.0  using this Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Downgrade Patcher https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618?tab=files . Everything should work fine and thank you Aylis for such an amazing in depth tutorial. Works like a charm. I have no intention of upgrading to anniversary edition. So please don't ever delete this invaluable modlist. And thanks again for all the hard work.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Aylis,

thank you so much for your great work, my skyrim looks awesome. Just has to wait 20 minutes till Dyndolod took affect.

Here are my change proposals and a heavy BUG :).

There are two or three FOMOD explainations to be redone, cause people like me dont really know what to do.

One was CBBE 3BBB

the other i forgot

For

ENB

Rudy ENB SE.

please add

Manually extract Rudy ENB SE for Cathedral Weathers and copy the INIs of the Windows Shadows RT -> Normal Game INIs to Games Main folder.

please add also in

Troubleshooting:

The game looks to dark in the night

You are using the wrong or no ENB ini files.

Manually extract Rudy ENB SE for Cathedral Weathers and copy the INIs of the Windows Shadows RT -> Normal Game INIs to Games Main folder. again

or

The game looks to dark in the night

You are using the wrong or no ENB ini files.

Manually extract Rudy ENB CW Ini and copy the INIs to Games Main folder. again

For

?SSE Engine Fixes (skse64 Plugin)

please add:

Install (Part 1) SSE Engine Fixes for 1.5.39 - 1.5.97 via Modmanager

Manually extract (Part 2) Engine Fixes - skse64 Preloader and TBB Lib and copy the INIs to Games Main folder.

In

(ADVANCED) Nemesis and FNIS

please change

6. Now select 'Jump Behaviour Overhaul', 'Movement Behaviour Overhaul', 'SkySA' and 'TK Dodge' (works for SE as well) in the list.

to

6. Now select 'Jump Behaviour Overhaul', 'Movement Behaviour Overhaul', 'TK Dodge' (works for SE as well) in the list and SkySa if you choose it optionaly above in my mod list.

BUG

CTD

Spoiler

I got several CTD (Close to Desktop) crashes, obviously causeed by textures.

I ran in CTD first in Ivarstead.

Hence in your list paralax main mod was not used anymore i tried to replace all paralax Textures with Textures without Parallax and since now i did not revert it. Maybe thats a cruical mistake.

The Ivarstead CTD stopprd with deactivatin JK Skyrim Main Mod.

Deactivating JK Aromatics to JK Warmaidan alone and even adding JK Ivarstead did not prevent CTD. Also i did not care about the patches section this time, just let all checked in.

Now i ran in CTD in Rorikstead.

turned out,

WPF-JK Skyrim patch.esp had to be deactivated while the main MOd WiZkiD Parallax Farmhouses

is checked in.

Gras Chache

Spoiler

I was not able to run this

I Installed the MO plugin

I can start the prcache Gras option but the mod itselfe did not start even after two hours.

I tried to install the dll pluginloader and tied all from the decription and bugs section of this mod. But this did not work at all. So i removed the dll plugin loader again.

SSEEdit

Spoiler

I cant choose the

'BetterDynamicSnowPatcher

also i have a few options, all left unchecked in step Just OK again

Temprally save game corruption

Spoiler

After five minutes or so i cant load a save game, cause all save games seems to be corrupted. If I close the game and restart with MO i can load all saved games again

Once again

i greatfully thank you for all the hours of work you spend for this guide.

You enlightend my skyrim and so you enlighted my life a little bit

Edited by Alarich79
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 4:50 AM, Apollonir said:

So just be rebuilding a couple patches I'm able to load in to the carriage sequence and make it through most of the opening dialogue, giving what seems like all of the mods time to initialize. However, the game crashes once once we get too close to Helgen. In addition, I'm getting this error on starting the new game:

1) FM+: Error _JSW_BB_Storage script is being overwritten by either a loose file or another mod! This patch cannot function properly!

I'm not familiar enough with this mod list yet to know what exactly this script is, or what kinds of things might be overwriting it. Any ideas what this might be, and what could be causing my crash?

Thanks again

I'm having this exact problem, too. Have you found a solution?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Special Edition or Anniversary Edition?

Hi, I haven't played Skyrim (with mods) in a long time. The last time I played was right around the time the Anniversary Edition came out and I remember that it was recommended to block the download of this version to avoid the risk of many mods not working with this version.

Now I have a new PC, I wanted to play Skyrim again with mods, both adult and normal ones.
Having said that I have 2 questions:

1) Is AE(dition) worth playing today, or does SE(dition) have more mods?
2) If Special Edition is better, how do I regress the game to this version?
If I remember correctly there was a mod that brought the game back to the SE version while keeping the new features of S:AE in the game.
Should I download that mod (link, please?) or are there other methods?

On 1/14/2024 at 6:32 PM, Balmung889 said:

Special Edition or Anniversary Edition?

Hi, I haven't played Skyrim (with mods) in a long time. The last time I played was right around the time the Anniversary Edition came out and I remember that it was recommended to block the download of this version to avoid the risk of many mods not working with this version.

Now I have a new PC, I wanted to play Skyrim again with mods, both adult and normal ones.
Having said that I have 2 questions:

1) Is AE(dition) worth playing today, or does SE(dition) have more mods?
2) If Special Edition is better, how do I regress the game to this version?
If I remember correctly there was a mod that brought the game back to the SE version while keeping the new features of S:AE in the game.
Should I download that mod (link, please?) or are there other methods?

I found that mod again.
Here it is https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/57618
A few days ago it worked, now it asks me to download skse for Skyrim AE.
What do I need to do to play Skyrim SE?