Skyrim SE for Beginners - V 3.2.6 (3BBB / HDT-SMP / HPH)

2 hours ago, mknn said:

I chose to go with a totally fresh start--reinstalled Skyrim from scratch, etc. It led to an extra 2 days of downloading mods, but it allowed me to really treat MO2 like a total restart.

I like GamerPoet's videos for an overview, although I could see their style--meticulous, detailed--not working for everyone.

One trick is that most of the better videos I found were for older versions of MO, so the screens didn't look the same. The trickiest parts--for me--were learning how to install things like Wrye or zEdit to work with MO2 and learning how to use the Overwrite mod. I'm happy to help if I can, having gone through the Vortex -> MO2 transition just a couple weeks ago. Not an expert, but I can share what I do know ...

Everything in this post is spot on good advice.

I know Gamerpoet has started redoing some of his videos for SSE, but they'll take a while. But, yeah, most of them translate over well anyway. Like his video about Dyndolod is old, but it still matches up pretty closely so that it's easy to follow.

@thirstydovahkiin See, I just ... ugh ... groups? Ugh. I forgot all about that. Vortex tries to bill itself as being this super easy to use platform And, hell, it is if you want to use 10-20 mods. But grouping and priority order and the ****ing circular flowcharts? It's like I'm at work. MO2 looks more confusing and clunky, but is pretty damn easy to use after a few days, and every time you find something new it's extremely helpful. I know Nexus is really pushing Vortex and I can't imagine the number of hours dedicated programmers have put into it but I'll stick to MO2's "Thing on top is overrode by thing on bottom" structure.

Gopher did a really good video below on the differences and pretty much comes to the same conclusion. It's a very good program, but for load orders like this list it's not going to really be feasible.

Spoiler

On 11/17/2020 at 8:10 AM, Aylis said:

ADDED/MOVED mods:

Foundation:

Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE (Tip)

Enhanced Vanilla Trees SE Billboards (Tip)

A little confused w/ this, on the page there is the EVT SE and then the Billboards there is EVT Billboards and EVT SE 1.8.2a Billboards Only.  That SE one is a year old, and it appears to overwrite almost all of the EVT SE files.  Also the selections don't line up with the Tips.

TEARING HAIR OUT.

Travel plans canceled because pandemic. No need for family safe version, so installed LL mods. Game CTD when loading. Disabled LL mods. Still CTD. Ran RESAVER. Corrupt save message on that version, CTD on other save.

WTF??? Modlist is now the same as it was prior to installing LL mods, save that loaded fine last night is CTD'ing.

Any advice? Remove mods one by one until they load then build back up? Try older saves? Curl up into ball and cry?

3 minutes ago, ascendentkunglao said:

So I redid my install nothing wonky anymore but just random CTD,  I tried changing my pagefiling settings but it was already managed by my computer and not set by me.  

So I just ran my last save through ReSaver and there was 108 unattached instances is that unusual especially when my mods didn't change besides a couple of DAR animations.

9 hours ago, cloudmc said:

A little confused w/ this, on the page there is the EVT SE and then the Billboards there is EVT Billboards and EVT SE 1.8.2a Billboards Only.  That SE one is a year old, and it appears to overwrite almost all of the EVT SE files.  Also the selections don't line up with the Tips.

Its the oldest one V 1.0 we need. Added to the description

9 hours ago, mknn said:

Any advice? Remove mods one by one until they load then build back up? Try older saves? Curl up into ball and cry?

Sometimes saves break. Annoying but sadly a part of Bethesda games, so try an older save first.

8 hours ago, ascendentkunglao said:

So I just ran my last save through ReSaver and there was 108 unattached instances is that unusual especially when my mods didn't change besides a couple of DAR animations.

Thats unusal. I only had that when i removed a mod with alot of scripts.

Tweaking the flora... So far it looks like we don't need one of the bigger texture/mesh mods anymore (thanks to the new grass and trees). This would reduce the size by ~1 GB and improve the FPS at the same time.

@mknn Don't disable mods one by one. Disable a section of them at a time. Then you know which section is causing the crash and you can disable them one by one from there instead of starting at the bottom. But, yeah, corrupt save messages usually indicate you've removed too many mods for Skyrim to handle, even after running Resaver.

@ascendentkunglao When are the CTDs happening? Do you see it occurring more in a specific area type (outside or inside)?

4 hours ago, Aylis said:

Armor in a lot of games:

Hide contents

How skimpy/slooty armor works:

Hide contents

And still a NO! from my side. ?

It dazzles them with rapidly moving small pieces of shiny metal. 

I swear that FNIS and Nemesis merging conglomeration you're doing is causing a stack overload. I don't use nemesis at all and use just the old FNIS and can play for days and not have a crash.

My game was running fine, everything worked, and then I added the lines from your INI files into mine in MOD2, and now if I load a save, I get errors from Aroused - SOS, the screen flashes black, and it loses all of my MCM settings, and makes the game completely unplayable. I am .. very confused. I've never had this issue with Skyrim before. It's absolutely crazy. That's the only thing I can think of as for changes that would've caused it.

Could it be the MultiThread additions? I'm really lost.

ANNNNDD It's only if I start a new game. My old save is fine.

And, for some reason, I get spammed with Leather into my inventory in multiples of 3's, 4's, and 5's... ???

@EvilCampinCow When you say you've added lines in MO2 what do you mean? MO2 doesn't have anything to do with the ini files. Are you putting them in ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition? You can try removing the Multithread options. I don't think that will really hurt anything. What kind of processor do you have?

I've never heard of the other errors you're describing, so hopefully somebody else can chime in. It's possible your character is just really, really into leather. Don't kinkshame.

---

Okay, so High Poly Head can piss right off. Skjor has hair? Delvin has hair? What is this blatant disregard for the bald community? We get no representation anymore. That's what's wrong with this country.

MO2 has an .INI editor option that is saved per profile instead of a global one in your SSE folder itself. I edited those, because they're attached to the profile and they're the ones that actually 'do the work'.

The fact that, out of the blue, my MCM stopped saving and everything resets on a save re-load and then explodes - FOR THAT NEW CHARACTER - is super odd. I can go back to my old save no problem and it keeps working. I'm so lost, this is the weirdest thing I've ever experienced with modding, in any game.

It's specifically throwing errors for Dripping when Aroused and SOS though, despite both of them, and the scripts, constantly reloading and refreshing themselves over and over. Which is also weird, since it RESETS THE ENTIRE MCM ON RELOAD.

Edit 1:
Though, I shouldn't be surprised there's a problem, seeing as .. I don't know, my profile isn't loading a saved set of Presets that are saved from MO2, but instead loaded an option from somewhere else when I made the new character. Something has gone funky and I'm not sure where or why. I'll just reset my .ini's and see what happens .... if I can find the old ones.

Edit 2: I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X processor.

1 hour ago, wollboi said:

@Aylis Amazing.

@jaeos I get like one a day with both running. I just wish Nemesis would get creature behavior and we could toss FNIS.

Fore did the impossible for the game at the time. But he retired and since no one is actively progressing FNIS to be the next-gen xxx animation framework of the 22nd century. It will happen. Taking FNIS and merging how Nemesis and Fnis handle the exact same animations might bring something called Nemefsis that handles ANY animation for either basic framework and makes it super easy for animators to make anything goes animations. I mean we already have almost any animation my mind could come up with, only thing missing is the multi species gangbangs from what i can tell, maybe some vore with the PC being dismembered, but thats all i can think of right now thats missing. 

21 minutes ago, EvilCampinCow said:

MO2 has an .INI editor option that is saved per profile instead of a global one in your SSE folder itself. I edited those, because they're attached to the profile and they're the ones that actually 'do the work'.

The fact that, out of the blue, my MCM stopped saving and everything resets on a save re-load and then explodes - FOR THAT NEW CHARACTER - is super odd. I can go back to my old save no problem and it keeps working. I'm so lost, this is the weirdest thing I've ever experienced with modding, in any game.

It's specifically throwing errors for Dripping when Aroused and SOS though, despite both of them, and the scripts, constantly reloading and refreshing themselves over and over. Which is also weird, since it RESETS THE ENTIRE MCM ON RELOAD.

Edit 1:
Though, I shouldn't be surprised there's a problem, seeing as .. I don't know, my profile isn't loading a saved set of Presets that are saved from MO2, but instead loaded an option from somewhere else when I made the new character. Something has gone funky and I'm not sure where or why. I'll just reset my .ini's and see what happens .... if I can find the old ones.

Edit 2: I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X processor.

the other ini files that skyrim makes is in the account holder files. something like this C:\Users\account\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition. the ini files for the profiles is in MO2/skyrim profiles/profile name.

Apparently,, hitting the ESM/ESP cap + extra ESLs makes the game go wonky, who would've thought? Seems you can load a certain number of them -on launch- but loading saves that push the cap too far breaks everything! It's pretty weird and selective, apparently too, on which ones will run and which ones won't when the game hits that cap of ... everything. I've figured out what I did, so I've got to cut back on my plug-ins. Oops. :D

Edit:

Nope, still having weird reactions to various things. Saves will load sometimes, other times it says they're corrupt and won't load. I can restart everything and they'll work... or not... Which, doesn't make... like... any sense to me. At all.

6 hours ago, wollboi said:

I just wish Nemesis would get creature behavior and we could toss FNIS.

Couldn't agree more.

4 hours ago, EvilCampinCow said:

I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600X processor.

I got an 1600 so the multicore should work fine. It could be Jaxonz MCM Kicker SE acting up (which will be kicked off the list next time).

3 hours ago, EvilCampinCow said:

Saves will load sometimes, other times it says they're corrupt and won't load. I can restart everything and they'll work... or not... Which, doesn't make... like... any sense to me. At all.

Did you clean them with 'Fallrim Tools'? If so i hope you didn't remove several mods with ESP/ESM at the same time (aka max two). That seems to sometimes cause problems later on.

23 minutes ago, mknn said:

My game was crashing at a specific time. Not based on where I was or what I was doing, but when the in-game clock progressed. Disabling RaceMenu fixed it.

That doesn't make any sense, does it?

Not really. My guess would be a script going bonkers...

I did not clean them, not yet, I'm just .. confused. It was only a few hours of play, so I don't mind. I'm just bewildered how something works, then it doesn't, then it does again with no changes made at all.

Also, the water wheel in Riverwood just up and vanished. Just the wheel. The sounds and water effects from it still work, but no wheel. Woo! lol.

First, thanks to Aylis for this. I'm not a beginner. I decided I wanted to try using MO2, and a new install, and I settled on this list as an approach. I had been using Vortex and I wanted to see if MO2 was less work. In reading the last 40 pages or so of this thread, I felt the following would be helpful:

Regarding LOOT/Load Order:

I stabilized a 500-mod Vortex install. I might be the only one to ever do it(LOL!), but, MO2 people are generally full of crap regarding Vortex. It's not impossible or too much work. It does require skill development and persistence. Happily, I have the IT skills and experience required to find and fix. I learned early on via xEdit, that ignoring Vortex's (suggested) before/after was often the way. 80+% of that is based on LOOT.  That means: the only way I was able to do what I did? Ignore Vortex/LOOT ~ 40-50% of the time, especially with non-Nexus mods. Conclusion: some people are just as full of crap about using Vortex...as other people are about always using LOOT.

Given that, if Aylis tells you to ignore LOOT entirely, then LISTEN! 

Also, this load order(and mod selection/combination) has given me insight into what I was doing right/wrong with my last install. Thus, if Aylis tells you to follow the order, then LISTEN!

I have, and halfway through this list(i did skip ahead and add masters/essentials like skeleton, CBBE, FNIS/Nemesis, etc., frankly to see if Aylis was full of crap :), and for testing/FPS purposes), using the same testing procedure I did with Vortex I can already see a very stable game emerging, much more quickly. This load order has been quite a difference maker. It's like getting the answers to the test in some cases.

----------------------------

I do have a few suggestions for mods that aren't CTD generators, and quite useful. I'll offer them as I go. The first is: 

Disable Follower Collision 

We have all been annoyed by followers, for reasons we all understand. Therefore, I put this forward for consideration. No esp. It doesn't mess with sexlab. Immersion breaking? Nothing about vanilla follower behavior is "immersive". The best part: it can be toggled with a console command in cases(Dragon riding has been reported as requiring this) where default behavior is necessary. I don't think it's too much to ask a beginner to learn how to console. It's literally: type "`", then type "tfcl", then type "enter". Besides, learning the console is inevitable anyway.

Sooo when Aylis says to not use Loot, we should listen. When she says to follow the load order, we should listen. When she says to use MO2, we should use Vortex if we feel like it and want to jump through hoops and not follow some MO2-specific steps in the Tips section? Sorry, but I don't see the point other than just wanting to see if it can be done.

7 hours ago, Aylis said:

Not really. My guess would be a script going bonkers...

Yeah. I was too far whiskey last night to troubleshoot properly.

Does anyone have advice on reading the Papyrus logs? Is the basic advice of concentrating on the script being called before 

[11/22/2020 - 08:49:11AM] VM is freezing...
[11/22/2020 - 08:49:11AM] VM is frozen

the right approach?

And, how clean is the Papyrus log in a stable game? Like I see a fair number of error entries in there, ranging from missing objects to script errors. Should I be looking to chase down all of them?