A major problem w/ FO4: No money sinks / making money is pointless. Any mods to fix?

If you ignore the main quest line and want to do a sandbox playthrough of FO4, I found it never had much longevity since the world is pretty empty. But if you put that aside and install some mods and maybe try to roleplay as a bounty hunter, a big problem comes up. All those caps you get for doing a job turn out to be mostly useless. There isn't much that's useful to spend them on, aside from the occasional gun or armor that you might want off a vendor.

In Skyrim, if you added in mods, there were a number of things you could do with money, and thus create a reason to earn money. A few examples:

• Trainers: pay to advance your skills and get stronger
  • Honed Metal: mod that allowed paying NPCs to craft and upgrade your equipment
  • Real Estate: mod to invest your money and get rent to make it rich!

Are there any mods for FO4 that help to fix the broken economy and give you a reason to actually earn caps?

Using the updated Fallout Loot Overhaul mod heavily nerfs cap-generation and general loot, increasing the need to buy supplies ammo and stimpacks and drugs. You can crank the costs for buying items/scrap and getting healing from NPCs up even further, and then if you're using a difficulty mod where it's easy to die in combat, you'll find yourself having a much harder time surviving on what you can scrounge up.

That's the best approach based on what I've seen and played.

9 hours ago, D_ManXX2 said:

Not sure if you are ready for total overhaul but Horizon seem to be what you are looking for. it also overhauls the entire economy system and due to its nature you dont need that many mods with it anymore.

Does Horizon do something so there is a worthwhile use for caps? I thought it had more to do with immersion, rebalancing, and changes to existing systems.

ferrousae suggested using a loot overhaul to nerf caps, etc but I don't think that address the problem that there isn't anything worthwhile to spend caps on. From a roleplay perspective, if you make money just so you can buy supplies to go on bounty hunts...  you may as well just not do the bounty hunts in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi, sorry for re-opening this old topic. 

Just wondering if there are any news regarding this subject :D

I too am looking for some mods to spend caps on in exchange for.. anything. Gambling, settlements, building, investing, anything really..

for ex Barstool Games is really nice but the max bet is 50 caps which is sad

Also BanCo is a great idea but unfortunately the mod is slightly broken right now 

You can use the Game Configuration menu mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/33759)

I have my economy set to make each bullet cost around 10 silver coins (https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26089 ), unique weapons are sold in the range of 30,000, doctor bills are min. 500.

Bottom line, my PC is usually pretty poor and has to scav just to have enough to buy bullets food and water.