Normal mapping with Photoshop CC

Harlekin

Hey guys ive working on a new mod but i have a strange problem when i try to make textures with Photoshop CC

The Nvidia DDS plugin does not work with Photoshop CC so i have to use something simlear. But it does just not work proper - colormaps are no problem they work fine but i cannot change Normal-Maps if i export a normal (uncompressed) anything looks pretty much shiny or.. wet.

i tryed to use a spec-map as alpha inside the normal map - does not work

i tryed to export an Spec map - still shiny 

it feels like my spec-maps where just ignored -_-

i tryed all compression modes that are available - for Normal-Maps is it only uncompressed or BC5 8bpp linear 2channel tangents - the second one exports the normal in greenish-colors.

my question is now - how do i export normal maps with photoshop cc? ^^

edit:// thats the one i use intel dds plugin

edit2:// Nevermind ive fond a solution.. 

the DDS import/Export from Nvidia tool works (just the Normal-map filter let Ps crash so dont use it..) 

just install both of them the NVidia DDS Plugin and the Intel DDS Plugin.

Use the Intel-Plugin to import DDS files to Photoshop

Use the Intel-Plugin for the Normal-Map filter (Not Nvidia, it will crash your game.

Use NVidia DDS plugin to Export your DDS file as Usual.

The shine and wet is not from the normal map it's from the spec map.

Try to invert colors for the spec map. I don't know how or why but sometimes when everything is shiny and wet inverting colors fix it.

I don't know about the normal proplem. I never had it.

9 minutes ago, Harlekin said:

oh.. who can read is clearly in advantage.^^ - again, thanks :)

You will find that Shadermap is WAAAY better than a crumby PS plug-in.  Open your .dds file, make your normal, save as DXT1, save your specular as DXT1 (try at about -90), Open the "_NORM" in PS, make a new alpha channel and drop in your "_SPEC" file. Save as DXT5.  Works great with much more control on the bump.

Archived