What setting do you prefer games to be in?

Asrienda

Game settings poll!  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What setting/time period do you prefer your games to be set in?

• Paleolithic period
    • Antiquities (Greek/Persian/Roman/Biblical times)
    • Middle Ages / Medieval period (knights, swords, archers, etc)
    • Renaissance / Age of discovery / Golden age of piracy (early firearms and "science")
    • Feudal Japan (samurai and ninjas)
    • Victorian / Industrial revolution
    • World War 1 and 2
    • Cold War
    • Internet / modern times
    • Near-future (25-75 years)
    • Cyberpunk
    • Hard sci-fi space faring (physics is important)
    • Soft sci-fi space faring / space opera (physics is far less important)
    • Post-apocalyptic, only medieval technology remains
    • Post-apocalyptic, modern-ish technology can be scavenged
    • Purely VR / MMORPG world (Ready Player One is mostly set in the OASIS, for example)
    • Other (explain below)
  2. 2. Do you prefer magic in your settings? You can include magic creatures too.

• Yes, and basically anyone can learn it
    • Yes, magic is widespread but genetic (i.e. Avatar the Last Airbender/Legend of Korra benders)
    • Yes, magic is rare and genetic (i.e. Star Wars prequels/old republic jedi, Harry Potter wizards)
    • Yes, magic is extremely rare or extinct but rediscoverable (i.e. Star Wars original trilogy jedi, Game of Thrones)
    • No, magic takes away from hard work
    • No preference
    • Other (see below)

From the site itself, I imagine the medieval setting with magic will be the most popular, second to the post-apocalypse/modern setting because of Skyrim and Fallout. 

But who knows! 

Like the last poll I made, I'm mostly curious about adult games, but vote however you want. If you prefer adult games in a different setting from non-adult games, I'd love to know that too!

34 minutes ago, Asrienda said:

If you prefer adult games in a different setting from non-adult games, I'd love to know that too!

No - I don't distinguish between adult and non-adult.

I might have cared about such questions when I was 16. But that's years ago. I don't care anymore.

15 minutes ago, Asrienda said:

I either accidentally deleted an option or the site did

Just to make sure: where would you place a steampunk setting? ?

I had my own understanding and substituted in curved brackets "( e.g. steampunk )" for my vote where I thought it would belong to. But who knows .. :classic_huh:

I actually had a steampunk option at one point too x.x Oh well I'm done editing the poll, it's frustrating on a phone.

Steam Punk would probably be closest to Victorian, so put your vote there. The key thing about steam punk being steam, after all.

Which would also be the same time period (although different geographically and thematically) as the wild west... Which makes that Will Smith movie make a lot more sense.

I like a mix of magic, "magic", non-magic, and a mix of sources.

By "magic", I mean something so far beyond what we understand that it is effectively magic, like transformations caused by nanites, and non-magic being like the real-world.

By a mix of sources, I mean both genetic, learned, and  semi-random/chosen one sources of magic knowledge.

Archived