Mortal Weapons & Armors

1 hour ago, Monoman1 said:

You could just only load weapon/armor mods either when running the script. 

Sure, that is always an option. But also very prone "error" since knowing which quest, world space, npc and overhauls add/change weapons can get a bit tricky with 500+ mods. If I can get a synthesis patcher to work it would all be just one easy click. Well... if I manage to do it.

I got around to some testing.

Everything seems to work! And I couldn't break it! Already dead bodies got their items initialized, world items seem to work more realiably.

Only 2 instances did not work, but those are to be expected. LAL items you get from the start are not initialized and DD/Toys (not supported yet). Everything else worked.

Same procedure (same save but from before installing MWA so a clean MWA install with 2.03) all items in Helgen were initialized. Degradation looks to be working as expected. Options to speed up/slow down are working.

The only pet peeve was that it took quite a while for the cell (Helgen Keep) to be completely initialized. One or two minutes would be my guess. Though I don't think Skyrim would allow a significant speed up in the procedure.

And a little request: Would it be possible to either add a toogle for the movement speed penality oder remove it for the test versions? It would make testing quite a bit faster. :D

Edited by Silvain
On 9/2/2022 at 9:03 AM, Silvain said:

I got around to some testing.

Thanks

Everything seems to work! And I couldn't break it!

Good stuff

The only pet peeve was that it took quite a while for the cell (Helgen Keep) to be completely initialized.

Yea. Varies from cell to cell but I've seen up to a minute alright. It probably IS longer than MWA 1 due to all the extra setting/resetting + safeguards but I wonder how much is just 'in the knowing'. I'm not sure I ever timed MWA 1 cell set up time. When testing things you're probably like me, just blasting through areas with god mode on and kill everything with the console. If you're actually playing and avoiding danger AND there isn't any notifications of times etc then I'm not sure how much it matters...

And like I said before revisiting cells with objects/containers that haven't been unloaded from MWA is very fast and I still need to up the world alias count more which is currently at 150. There's usually something like 50 items in FrostFlowLighthouse for example (33% of world alias capacity). In the end there may be something like 1000 I'm thinking. 

Not sure what else I can do to speed things up. Every line of code has been scrutinized for necessity (in the 'core' part of MWA at least). And of course don't forget about just turning off some of the objectification options. Container & world being by far the worst offenders. 

And a little request:

I usually just console myself some boots/clothes. Know the numbers off by heart now...

With objectify shop on anything added while the console is open should fit ok. 

Edited by Monoman1
6 hours ago, Monoman1 said:

If you're actually playing and avoiding danger AND there isn't any notifications of times etc then I'm not sure how much it matters...

Not much, but it does come into play. Some areas have containers (these were indeed the offenders I encountered - world items seemed to be quite fast) right at the entrance. Those would be the main culprit I guess. Nothing game breaking I think.

6 hours ago, Monoman1 said:

Not sure what else I can do to speed things up. Every line of code has been scrutinized for necessity

Oh I absolutely trust you on that. You are probably one of the best coders here on LL and the Nexus. Your stuff almost works (except MCM Setting Imports... those are borked in WT and SLS and in my Milk Addict conversion) and if it doesn't you always fix it without blowing up saves in the process. :D

If you'd be using SE I - as a coding noob - would have suggested taking a look at Skyrim Platform (which is also a part of the Skyrim Multiplayer mod) which - so I was told - is extremely fast and enables a lot of stuff coders are happy about. But since LE still works fine and the speed up is not neccessary (as I said above) I think the current state is completely fine. It's just papyrus being papyrus.

7 hours ago, Monoman1 said:

With objectify shop on anything added while the console is open should fit ok. 

Ah thanks, that is great to know.

Posted test 2.04. 

Main changes are:

A) Signature items:

Items gain experience as you take hits (armor) or get kills (weapons). Once an item qualifies for upgrade it'll have a + next to it's name. Bring it to a blacksmith and get it upgraded. Upgraded items do more damage/have more armor and durability. Default experience settings are going to be a bit too high for testing purposes and probably should be set lower if testing. 

Need to run a tesedit script to create the signature items. The script will create two new esps. One for weapons. One for armors. (Two separate files will help maintain FormID cohesion a little better between runs). 

Process: 

0. Get MXPF framework for TesEdit: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/68617

1. Drop 'MWA - Signature Items.pas' into TesEdit's 'Edit scripts' folder. 

2. Organize load order like so:

• MWA.esp
  • Weapon/armor mods
  • Signature esps (when created)

3. Run tesedit script and enable resulting esps and sort load order as above.

B) Weapon enchantment spell (proof of concept). Use spell to enchant weapon in your right hand. Weapon must be initialized into MWA and not already have an enchantment. Spell can be charged to higher levels if you have better destruction perks and the magicka to do so. 

C) Removed MWAs processing of slot 61 due to technical reasons (wrap around issues). 

D) Mcm options.

Edit: Forgot MXPF step. 

Edited by Monoman1

I got this error while running the script. Trimmed down the .esp list well down below 100 before running it. MWA is the first mod loaded and all armor/weapon mods come after.

Spoiler

Screenshot_111.png.5633c344030cd28a526661b9bceedc62.png

It fails at removing the unused masters somehow. Not only with the script but for some reason I can't even run the clean masters function manually. It results in the same error.

Edited by Silvain
On 9/7/2022 at 4:14 PM, Silvain said:

It fails at removing the unused masters somehow. Not only with the script but for some reason I can't even run the clean masters function manually. It results in the same error

Hmm. 

Is there some kind of circular reference going on? May be a result of splitting weapons and armors into different files... I don't think so though. TesEdit is a stickler when it comes to load order. I doubt references could be even be created like so. 

Try maybe rotating the load order of signature weapons/armors (put one above the other) and try clean masters again. 

Or try on smaller batches of files. Might be able to narrow it down to a specific mod, then I could take a look. 

Haven't tried it on big load orders myself just yet. Mostly just MWA + Vanilla + TAWoBA.

I just started testing (I have yet to narrow down the list) but I think I already found something.

Signature Armors and Weapons are referencing themself as a master. And for some reason both have the skyrim.exe as a master - something I have never really seen before.

Here the screens.

Spoiler

Screenshot_112.png.4271f3a50bf299e0e53d818bcd5b68d9.png

Screenshot_113.png.a044448dcc99d2b4a3bdbec5cb1c4f7f.png

20 minutes ago, Silvain said:

I just started testing (I have yet to narrow down the list) but I think I already found something.

Signature Armors and Weapons are referencing themself as a master. And for some reason both have the skyrim.exe as a master - something I have never really seen before.

Here the screens.

Hide contents

Screenshot_112.png.4271f3a50bf299e0e53d818bcd5b68d9.png

Screenshot_113.png.a044448dcc99d2b4a3bdbec5cb1c4f7f.png

Skyrim.exe as a master:

Probably an SE thing. You can modify the script to exclude it easily enough. Afk atm so can't detail. 

The other problem is probably going to come down to a particular mod. Or how the mod is implementing something. 

1 hour ago, Monoman1 said:

Probably an SE thing. You can modify the script to exclude it easily enough. Afk atm so can't detail. 

I guessed to add

IgnorePlugins.Add('Skyrim.exe');

at the start of the script. But it does not seem to do anything. Still adds it as a master.

And I can't run the script on only the most basic LO. Same error. So maybe there is something weird with my xEdit... Though I can't really imagine what I could have done to fuck up how this works.

Spoiler

Screenshot_115.png.fda091c4b8c47bfec6afd258468f0e7a.png

Edited by Silvain
24 minutes ago, Silvain said:

I guessed to add

IgnorePlugins.Add('Skyrim.exe');

at the start of the script. But it does not seem to do anything. Still adds it as a master.

And I can't run the script on only the most basic LO. Same error. So maybe there is something weird with my xEdit... Though I can't really imagine what I could have done to fuck up how this works.

Reveal hidden contents

Have you tried reinstalling tesedit? 

I have a feeling if clean masters runs ok it'll remove skyrim.exe anyway. 

Yes, I even used an older version (4.0.3) to test. Still same error. I have the same feeling but for some reason it can't remove masters because both esps have each other as masters.

Alright. SE and now AE specific issues are always a joy. And mod authors only updating their git hub pages but not the Nexus mods as well.

https://github.com/matortheeternal/mxpf/blob/master/Edit Scripts/lib/mteFunctions.pas

This is a updated function for use with AE. It ran fine on minimal LO. And also on the whole thing.

I'll add it to the conversion post.

Edited by Silvain

I haven't had time to test stuff yet, but I found this little new release: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/74790

It is also a durability system but much simpler than MWA. It does something I thought is fun. It ties in the smithing skill into the degradation process. High smithing skill means stuff will degrade not as fast. Well that and it uses Pap Extender for onHit events (but I think you are already doing that).

But tying in smithing skill may still be fun. If not to make things break slower to maybe make things fit better. Maybe it would be nice to have a buyable/lootable item that can be used to improve the fit of an item you found. The limit how much an item may be fitted on the go then depends on the smithing skill.

On a different note: I took a look at your patcher and started to work on the synthesis port. And well it will take a while. I almost have the duplication down, but everything else is still missing. :D

Do you filter the armor/weapons you put into the patch somehow? Currently I also create copies for stuff like "DraugrSkin01" which shouldn't be a thing. Also are the names for the additional .esps important?

42 minutes ago, Silvain said:

Well that and it uses Pap Extender for onHit events (but I think you are already doing that).

Nope. Wasn't even aware of it. Reason's pretty simple too. There seems to be quite a difference between PO3 LE and PO3 SE. Pretty big difference actually it seems. That's a shame...

45 minutes ago, Silvain said:

But tying in smithing skill may still be fun

I don't think I'll do this. At least not for now. In a way it's already a thing anyway - The better you can temper something, the longer it lasts.

46 minutes ago, Silvain said:

Do you filter the armor/weapons you put into the patch somehow?

Yea. There's a check for a name - Blank names are always unplayable. And also checks for keywords - VendorItemArmor/Weapon/Clothes, Sexlabnostrip, zbfWornDevice etc. 

49 minutes ago, Silvain said:

Also are the names for the additional .esps important?

Not sure what you mean by this. You mean the likes of:

IgnorePlugins.Add('[Dint999] KSH''s HDT.esp');

?

It'll exclude armors/weapons from those mods. That one has wigs that pass all the other keyword checks etc. 

BTW, there a fair bit of commented out code in that script that doesn't need to be adopted. 

8 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:

Nope. Wasn't even aware of it. Reason's pretty simple too. There seems to be quite a difference between PO3 LE and PO3 SE. Pretty big difference actually it seems. That's a shame...

God dammit, Bethesda, why can't you just stick with one version of the game x)

8 minutes ago, Monoman1 said:

Not sure what you mean by this.

I mean the mwa - signature items - armor and weapons.esps the xEdit script generates. Are the names of these two plugins important? I guess so, since you probably check in the main mod if they are present.

2 minutes ago, Silvain said:

I mean the mwa - signature items - armor and weapons.esps the xEdit script generates. Are the names of these two plugins important? I guess so, since you probably check in the main mod if they are present.

Mmm, no actually I don't think there's currently any name check. I don't think I'll need one but I can't guarantee that at this stage. Why would you want to change the name though?

I think if I want to check if signature items are generated I'll just do a count on one of the form lists. 

27 minutes ago, Silvain said:

I don't want to change the name. But Synthesis has the (default) option to include everything it does in one single big .esp. Or a few smaller ones if the big one has too many masters.

If I want a few smaller ones, I need to specify that.

Hmm, Yea you see the reason I'm using 2 different esps is FormID cohesion. 

I'm thinking of when a user comes along and rebuilds the files mid game (which I can't recommend anyway but you know people). If the load order is identical between runs then there wouldn't be any issue. But the reason a user would rerun the script is because they just added some snazzy new armor and want to add it etc. TesEdit APPEARS to perform in a predictable manor - If you run the script on the exact same load order and mods then each created item will have an identical FormId to the last time the script is run. So if the user adds the new weapon/armor mod to the end of their load order it SHOULD be ok.

If however:

A) Some mod in the middle has added 1 new armor/weapon in then subsequent created FormIDs are now "shunted" by one. The result is that the FormIDs linked in your save no longer match what they actually should and that signature iron bikini thong could randomly turn into a dwarven shield etc. 

B) The user just haphazardly adds the new mod bang in the middle of their load order then it upsets formid creation in a similar manor. 

With 2 separate files you can, in theory, run the script mid game if you're careful. If

A) You maintain the same load order. 
B) New armor/weapon mods are added to the end of the load order. 

C) No new armors/weapons are added (or removed) by mods in the middle. 

With 2 files and these conditions weapons/armors are 'additive' without affected the FormIDs of previous entries. If armors/weapons were dumpedg into one file then any new weapons may shunt armor formids down or vice versa. 

Food for thought...

Edited by Monoman1

Another update. Final one before the last big step. And it's a doozie of a step... I want to see if I can merge 'Honed Metal' into MWA. It's services side would complement MWA ridiculously well. I'm not looking forward to it though hopefully the results will make up for it. I'd say this is the last 'biggie'. Other things that I would like but not as big a deal:

- Deviously cursed items.

- Want to see if I can swap out the armor model when it becomes a certain amount damaged. 

- A couple more options in the json need to be imported into the menu.

This update

- Added frost/shock enchantment spells.

- Added keyword armor attributes - Modify fit and coverage with keywords attached to armors. (Allows skimpy keywords to make armors easier to fit)

- Added an absolute metric ton of options. 

- Option to objectify your inventory on start up. 

- Removed some debug message boxes I'm not that worried about any more. 

- Increased alias counts.

- Bug fixes.

Edited by Monoman1

Conversion is up.

3 hours ago, Monoman1 said:

merge 'Honed Metal' into MWA

Wow... I mean I can clearly see the benefit but are you sure? Isn't that mod super complex under the hood? I think I saw that you can write extensions/additions to Honed Metal in some way. Maybe that is enough? I doubt it but maybe that can save you some work.

I think at the weekend I may get some testing in.

I really loved using this mod when I last spent time playing Skyrim. I plan on getting back into the game and I am happy to see that you're working on the mod again.

On 9/13/2022 at 5:58 PM, Monoman1 said:

- Want to see if I can swap out the armor model when it becomes a certain amount damaged. 

I'm not sure if it is of any help, but I remembered seeing this framework on the nexus a few days ago: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/74851

Anyways, I'm looking forward to trying out the new version! Thanks for all the work you put into your mods.