Custom Follower Issue (Moding Help)

AWP3RATOR

I have a custom follower who, for all but 1 use case works correctly.  The follower is set up to use the vanilla companion scripts, but has customized affinity and talk quests set up.  Affinity, romance, and the friendship quests all seem to work correctly and trigger at the correct thresholds, so no issues there.  The follow has affinity, romance, and a friendship quest.

What I'm having an issue with is the auto-dismissal routine.  If I fire the companion through dialogue, they are correctly removed as a companion and can be rehired via dialogue.  However, if the companion is auto-dismissed by hiring another companion - I get a choice as to which workshop to send them to, and they do go there - but they are unresponsive to dialogue.  The PC will greet them with the standard "hey" or "hi" lines, but the companion will not react.

In the Rehire scene, the only condition set is that the companion cannot be in the CurrentCompanion faction - which they are not.  And they ARE in the HasBeenCompanion faction, but that shouldn't affect this condition as I'm not checking for it.

Any help would be appreciated!

@MeropeThere is no combat state, that I'm sure of.  I'm testing by....

1. Hiring my companion

2. Hiring Dogmeat or Piper (tested both separate)

At #2, the Workshop selection pops and the message says my companion is going to whichever workshop was selected, and the custom companion does go there.  If I try to talk to them immediately or after they arrive - they are completely unresponsive as if waiting for a scene condition to be true or a bad reference.  There is nothing in the papyrus log, so I can't be sure if it's scripting or not.

I haven't exited the cell - I was testing at Red Rocket workshop, firing and attempting to rehire immediately and without going anywhere.  This DOES work with vanilla companions and I'm trying to mimic their functionality here.

As far as I can gather, I've recreated the vanilla follower Actor, quests, and references and filled all quest properties as per what I saw in Piper and Cait's quests.  It's odd that to me that it works via dialogue dismissal but not when auto-firing.

One thing I did not set up is the "during hiring another companion process" - an interrupt conversation where the custom companion banters with the new companion.  But I'm not sure if that's necessarily required here or not. 

Should also note.... I'm not testing with any mods installed other than CBBE, LooksMenu, and the Unofficial FO4 patch.

When I first saw your post I started following the chain of events through the companionactor and follower scripts but then reading what you wrote again I think it must be something more straightforward, like a property missing or incorrectly filled or conditions on the pickup scene etc. You're seeing the new homelocation option after all.

Double/Triple check, I miss them all the time and spend hours trying to fix non existent bugs. ?

There are a couple of functions on the actor script which you could fire manually on your actor after dismissal. Just for testing.

CompanionREF.AllowCompanion(MakeCompanionIfNoneCurrently = false, ForceCompanion = false)
Companion.SetAvailableToBeCompanion()

I found in the "Re-recruit" scene, I had a group of greetings.  The individiual greeting lines had "good" conditions on them, but the group itself had a "bad" condition that was requiring a specific stage of the "talk" quest to be reached.  This state IS reached when dismissing through dialogue - but it is NOT reached when auto-dismissing by hiring someone else.

No other scene dialogue conditions were true either, so there was no dialogue.  I'm fairly sure this will resolve it. 

I am updating the conditions on the group to simply be "CurrentCompanion == 0" and "HasBeenCompanion == 1"  Will test and see if that resolves it.

Fixed!  It was indeed bad conditions on the scene dialogue that could never be true.  For reference:

This is how the scene conditions set:

image.png.65dc425e479f310eb063580f1e1f9c54.png

COMTrinityTalk stage 20 was being set when dismissing through dialogue just fine, but not through the auto-dismiss on hiring another follower

SOLUTION:

Setting it this way solved the issue without needing to check for a stage being set:

image.png.3635ea7b4183b08160f1d6b6d18e1edb.png

Thanks for the help @Merope  This conversation caused me to go back through everything, looking for inconsistencies. :) 

Archived