Help installing new graphics card

Rokabur

So I finally had enough money to buy a GTX 1060 to replace my GTX 750. Problem is the GTX 1060 comes with a supplemental PCIe power adapter while my old 750 didn't have one. ide-molex-6pin-pci-express-pci-e-graphic

This picture is basically what the adapter looks like except that BOTH of the wide plugs on the left have 3 pins (thing is the plug on the right has 6 wires going into it but only 5 of the little plugs filled with 2 of the cords going into the bottom middle). Thing is I have no idea where to plug it in at. I read that I have to connect the power supply to it but all the cables are behind everything meaning I'd have to try and take my entire desktop apart (I didn't build it myself exactly because of how complicated everything is) and the adapter itself is too small to reach anything by itself.

29 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

you should not need that adapter, your psu should already have a 6 pin pci-e plug.

Then I guess I'm gonna have to do something dangerous to my PC. This is the first time I've even opened the case in 4 years. I can kinda see where the various cords are bundled up but I'm afraid of causing damage to my PC.

35 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaqo1MItQSI

just look out for any plastic hooks that are holding your card in place.

I can remove the old card and put in the new one easy enough. It's just that ALL of the cords running from the power-source are run BEHIND everything and I am unable to actually get to them (I'd even take some pics of i and post it here if I had the ability). My only options would be to: 1. completely take my PC apart and most likely be unable to put it back together. 2. Lug the 35lb case to some tech place and pay money I can't afford to have them try to install the new card. Or 3. Hope Amazon will refund the money I spent on the card, stick with the measly 750 for another 4-6 years and then again buy a completely new PC.

It's exactly the same situation in that I need to add another HDD sometime since I have less then 400GB of space left on my HDD where everything is installed. I'd have to completely take my PC apart to get at the cords since half the cords are stuffed in that space and the other half are in a tangled mess where I could add another optical drive.

36 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

it would probably be helpful if you can identify what case you have, then you could find it's assembly guide on the manufacturer's website.

sometimes you can remove the drive bay housing to give yourself more room to work.

I did what you suggested and removed the other side of the case. I was able to finagle one of the cords through the bay where the SSD and HDD are and it did reach where the new card is. Thanks a lot putting up with me. Like I stated, this is the first time I ever did something like this. It's still a complete mess back there but I think I know what to do if/when I buy another HDD.

This is just amazing. When I had the 750, The Witcher 3 ran at 50FPS with every setting turned off or to the lowest setting or 30FPS with most of the settings as medium. Now with the 1060 I have everything jacked to Ultra, except the NVIDIA Hairworks stuff, Ambient Occlusion, Blur and Motion Blur are turned off, and Witcher 3 is now running at 60FPS (though I did just barely start the game since performance was kinda lacking before the upgrade).

9 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

i would not know that joy, i'm still on a 6561 VIC ?

You're on a what?

Hell, even an indie game I love that's heavy on the CPU (it's running on a heavily updated engine from 2006 so multi-core performance is limited) saw an increase in fps. The performance increase is just incredible. With the 750, maxing out all the graphics options would tank my fps to around 25. Now it runs at 65-70fps in the starting area.

20 hours ago, MadMansGun said:

I'm not that deep into computers to get something like that. I've tried reading up on programing languages but that stuff sadly flew over my head by about 500 miles.

I don't even want to consider what it'll take for me to upgrade my CPU and/or Motherboard in a few years. I definitely couldn't just take my entire PC apart. From looking at minimum/recommended CPU requirements on Steam, I can only give my i7 4820K about 3 more years.???

Computers are meant to be serviced and upgraded, they don't run on Magic, Witchcraft and Faerie-dust, even though some companies (like Apple) advertise them as if.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to Replace a graphic-card.

That Adapter you posted is only needed if your Power-supply dos not have a PCIE-Power connector for your new Card, and in this case it is probably very old,

cheap or weak, and should be replaced anyway.

If you are unsure about something many people will gladly help, just take a photo of your Case from the side and the back for starters.

Cant be that difficult to open, if it is a tower, its probably just two screws on the back holding the Sidepanel in place...

I you never opened your case before, now its a good time to clean all the dust out.

But one step at a time.

7 hours ago, flatliner10 said:

Computers are meant to be serviced and upgraded, they don't run on Magic, Witchcraft and Faerie-dust, even though some companies (like Apple) advertise them as if.

You don't need to be a rocket scientist to Replace a graphic-card.

That Adapter you posted is only needed if your Power-supply dos not have a PCIE-Power connector for your new Card, and in this case it is probably very old,

cheap or weak, and should be replaced anyway.

If you are unsure about something many people will gladly help, just take a photo of your Case from the side and the back for starters.

Cant be that difficult to open, if it is a tower, its probably just two screws on the back holding the Sidepanel in place...

I you never opened your case before, now its a good time to clean all the dust out.

But one step at a time.

I figured it out after following MadMansGun advice to open the other side of the tower. Half the unused power cords are stuffed in the space where the storage goes and the other half of the cords are stuffed where I could add more optical drives. There is absolutely no way to do anything about it unless I took EVERYTHING apart. Sadly it's gonna be a nightmare once I have to upgrade my CPU and/or Motherboard in several years. I really don't trust myself to take the entire thing apart and put it back together.

Find yourself a local Geek, give him a screwdriver a Paintbrush a can of Air and a Pizza, and he will happily do it for you then^^

It is really not that difficult at all, we got a non-profit organisation here, which teaches Seniors how to use, maintain and even build a PC.

If they can do it, anyone can. It's just like Lego with wires.

You will find dozens of tutorials on YouTube.

Archived