Modding on Linux and proton/Wine

kboom

I bought a second SSD and dual boot now (Win7/Linux Mint) so I've not tried it.

From what I've read I gather there is a problem with mod managers not working though I would imagine an older version of NMM might work before they started using symlinks. Apparently manual install works okay depending on the mod though, mods like FNIS need some fiddling about to get going.

This is just what I've read so I don't know how accurate it is.

The Steam link is interesting though, if they do develop for mainstream games it's means I can totally dump Microsoft

Installing and launching Skyrim using Proton is as simple as clicking Play once Proton is installed.

There do seem to be a couple of annoyances though. Exiting the game using the option ingame locks it up, though this isn't necessarily an issue with Proton.

Mod managers and mods like FNIS are probably the biggest hurdle as Slorm has said.

Edit: I have done some more research and found a guide on how to get Requiem (a mod which relies on a java based patcher, like the one from Perma, or Dual Sheath Redux) to work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimrequiem/comments/5hvhfm/requiem_on_linux_another_guide_to_victory/

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimrequiem/comments/4mm3gr/how_to_get_the_reqtificator_and_presumably_other/

I guess another option as well would be a Win7 VM in Linux though I gather performance for games will take quite a hit. Unfortunately I don't have a spare Win7 license otherwise I'd test it myself.

Codeweavers also make an enhanced version of Wine but you do have to pay for it https://www.codeweavers.com/ but there is a free trial. I've not used it myself so I can't say how good their work is

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, LaniusFNV said:

I have managed to get Skyrim and SKSE working well together using this thread. I am going to install a couple of mods using ModOrganizer, which can also be installed using this method, as shown in the video, and report back.

Sounds promising, looking forward to seeing how well it works for you

I haven't gotten the FNIS Generator to work using Proton directly, but it should be possible to use wine for that, however that would kind of defeat the purpose of using Proton in the first place.

I will have to do some more digging regarding FNIS, though I expect it to ultimately work, since modding Skyrim using Wine and PlayOnLinux, one can get FNIS to run.

Aside from that, things seem to be going quite smoothly.

Installing mods using MO works as expected, LOOT can be run from ModOrganizer like in Windows and so can SKSE.

Here is another thread that may help.

Archived