I was just made aware of the "animcam" console command.  I wasn't able to find much online about how to use it, but after some experimentation I think I have found a couple of things about it which would be of interest to almost everyone.   

Just FYI I'm running Skyrim SE, but I expect animcam's functionality will be the same in Oldrim.

You turn on animcam via the usual console comand key. Then you type "animcam" and press the "ENTER" button. Then get out of console mode, and you are in animcam mode.

When you are in animcam mode AND using the third-person view, the mouse works differently.  The left and right mouse buttons do the usual things, but the mouse wheel is disabled, and moving the mouse has a new effect.

Moving the mouse left and right rotates the angle at which you are looking at your character.  Moving the mouse forward brings your view in closer to your character, and moving the mouse back brings you farther away. However, neither the mouse nor any of the keys let you control the angle at which you view your character (but see the next paragraph). So when you enter animcam mode if the camera happens to be looking down at a 45 degree angle, then as you move the mouse left and right your view will rotate around the character but the 45 degree angle will be unchanging.  The good news is that the rest of the keypad works as usual.  So you can make the character move with the WASD keys and with the C key.  And your angle of view as the character moves is preserved!!!  This means that if you are looking at the face of your character, and if you press the W key to make the character move forward, then you will keep watching the face as the character moves! This is a much requested feature which has been in the unmodded game all along. The only problem is that you can't use the mouse to control the direction of movement, because it is controlling the camera instead. However, you can still toggle 1st/3rd person views with the F key! So if you just toggle 1st person view to ON, you can use the mouse to adjust your movement direction, then toggle back the 3rd person view to continue watching via animcam.

To change the angle of view, use the F key to toggle yourself into 1st person view mode. Now use the mouse to adjust the angle at which you are looking at the world from the first person - just the way you usually do. Now when you toggle back into 3rd person view, the new locked in viewing angle will be the one you were in when you just left in first person view.  So in animcam mode you can look from above, below, directly from the side, or anywhere in between. And you can change it to whatever you want just by going into 1st person view for a moment.

This old mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/20433/) associated animcam with a hotkey. It uses ScriptDragon though.  I doubt it works on Skyrim SE.  Maybe it still works on Oldrim

Also, from within animcam mode you can use the tfc console commmand to toggle the free camera on and off. That can be nice.

Lastly, I have a suggestion for those who have run into the "loss of mousewheel control" problem.  It's cause is unclear, but seems to be related to running animations.  It sometimes seems to happen to people when they are in free camera mode when an animation ends.  Sometimes scripts which take control of the character seem to cause the problem.  But it is a game destroying problem when it occurs. You need the mousewheel to play. Only going back to a previous save fixes the problem all the time.  Sometimes using the "epc" command at the console helps.  Sometimes going to the forge helps, as exiting the forge animation sometimes returns wheel control.  I think typing "animcam" at the console might also be a solution.  Maybe a mod put you into animcam mode so you could view a scene, but some problem prevented it from returning control.  The symptom of loss of wheel control does seem to be an animcam thing, so maybe it will help.  I don't know for sure.  Try it if you have this problem.

UPDATE:

I was able to map a key to the console, which then activates the animcam command.  I did it with this great mod:   

Autorun Console Commands SE            https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14224?tab=description

It has a MCM configuration menu, so you can map whatever key you want.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...