Skyrim Magic Illegal

So I'm trying to find a mod that actually makes it illegal to use magic in skyrim, I got this idea from Slaverun when the slaver says magic is now illegal in skyrim but outside the slavery quests no one actually cares if you use magic, so does anyone know of a mod that actually takes skyrim's prejudice against mages to a whole new level, or is anybody willing to make one if none exist? I can imagine a mod like this would go really well with the Silenced Prisoners mod

That really sound like a cool idea, since the ususal magic users are necromancers and vampires xD And the only "Colledge Mages" you really meet are the Vigilants of Stendars^^

And the actuall Colledge is barly tolerated and very secluded, which fits well.

exactly it's also great if you're ending the civil war quest line (or if you're like me and use the Second Great War mod to skip the civil war quests) with the Stormcloak victory and want to make skyrim look like a super oppressive dictatorship slave state (if you have slavery mods), or if you want to roleplay as a anti-mage and/or Spelltheif character if you want to pretend you're helping enforce the law, or if you wanna be some kind of underground mage trying to get by in an anti magic nation.

I wouldn't have an idea of how this could work.
As in, what punishment will the player get if he / she gets seen using magic?

Bound in punishing hand restraints? Enslaved in a hold somewhere?

But damn, this is one of the better mod ideas I have heard.
I definitely have interest in this!
All we need is a modder that has interest in this as well...

I was just thinking that the player would just get arrested like if you committed any other crime like murder or stealing but that could still happen if you have mods that add stuff like that to the arrest system, mods like Prison Overhaul, and many slavery mods add options for the player to be enslaved upon being arrested such as Slaverun and I think there is an option in Prison Overhaul that takes the player to the Simple Slavery auction after your sentence.

6 minutes ago, Ragnarock1234567 said:

I was just thinking that the player would just get arrested but that could still happen if you have mods that add stuff like that to the arrest system, mods like Prison Overhaul, and many slavery mods add options for the player to be enslaved upon being arrested such as Slaverun and I think there is an option in Prison Overhaul that takes the player to the Simple Slavery auction after your sentence.

I had maybe an idea of a new sort of restraints that gets put on you, like a magic collar (magic collar, how ironic).
So when U cast magic whenever you are wearing it, you will get punished.

This can range from, severity:

Just a shock that does damage.

A bounty in the hold u are most nearby at.

Your arms getting temporarily bound / or just get put in a whole set of restraints.

"Magic" npc's appearing out of thin air that will arrest you and trigger Slaverun, Prison Overhaul, Simple Slavery.

The mod I mentioned, Silenced Prisoners is a mod that does something very similer to what you said, what it does is when you get arrested the guards will equip special cuffs on you called cuffs of silence which makes the player completely incapable of using magic during your sentence, I like the idea of anti-magic collars that shock you upon casting a spell thou I think it would be cooler if the collars completly blocked you from using spells at all then shock you for attempting to cast spells, but honestly I don't like the idea of a npc appearing out of thin air cuz the idea is that magic is illegal and hated in skyrim maybe as an option it would be fine, also the default wrist restraints added by Devious Devices and ZAZ already make it so you can't cast spells while restrained so I don't see the point in adding anti-magic wrist restraints unless the difference is cosmetic and the restraints have an enchantment effect on them or something, that would be cool

I did come across something close to this a while ago:

Vigilant of Stendarr

It only punishes the player for using conjuration, though...I have never tried that mod, so I cant' give any feedback, and I dunno if it's still maintained...Maybe the author can adapt it to cover all magic schools if you ask nicely ? or give his blessing for someone to adapt/update it?

6 minutes ago, Diziet said:

I did come across something close to this a while ago:

Vigilant of Stendarr

It only punishes the player for using conjuration, though...I have never tried that mod, so I cant' give any feedback, and I dunno if it's still maintained...Maybe the author can adapt it to cover all magic schools if you ask nicely ? or give his blessing for someone to adapt/update it?

tempting but I can't cuz I use ZAZ 8 also it's not exactley what I'm looking for

How fortunately that I am a modder ?

I'm already thinking about this: When the player casts a spell -> check if he is detected -> if yes: increase bounty in the current region + start a crime alert

This should work with all regions, since most dungeons belong to the wilderness and not to a city.

Hopefully the casting event doesn't trigger when shouting...

7 minutes ago, Ragnarock1234567 said:

omg you're awesome THANK YOU!

Thanks^^ But don't celebrate just yet. I'm just thinking about it. The funny thing is, that I just yet uploaded a mod I made last weekend, and I actually wanted to take a break.

But this seems to be very simple, with no dependencies, no time consuming mcm, but with a very interesting impact on the gameplay. - I'll play around and test if my ideas work^^

I hope you like it^^

So, what would you say is a good bounty value? 40 for assault to 1000 for murder is quite a gap... But transforming into a vampire lord/ werewolf is also 1000.

If we assume mages are not wanted/ tolerated, except for some licensed (closely watched and controlled courth mages) we could put them on the same stage as vampire/ werewolf ?

11 minutes ago, Guffel said:

I hope you like it^^

So, what would you say is a good bounty value? 40 for assault to 1000 for murder is quite a gap... But transforming into a vampire lord/ werewolf is also 1000.

If we assume mages are not wanted/ tolerated, except for some licensed (closely watched and controlled courth mages) we could put them on the same stage as vampire/ werewolf ?

Licensed mages could have to pay a registration fee in order to be licensed and then watched to ensure that they don't violate the terms of their license.  If they do, say casting a prohibited spell, they could be fined. Fines could increase or even lead to their license being revoked. 

I would say a bounty of 500 for practicing magic in public plus jail time, or maybe give the ability to set how big or small your bounty is through mcm, like what Prison Overhaul does, but if a customizable bounty is a little too hard to do I don't care if you decide not to do it.

Heyho, I just found this discussion and I like the idea!

As for the question of the bounty: maybe there's a way to get the type and quality of a spell? A destruction spell should get a higher bounty than a restoration spell and a spell with master niveau should be worse than one for novices, what do you think?

that would make more sense as there are healers all around skyrim, though in my mind I think they would be tolerated just because they're priests

If this becomes a mod that is published.
Please keep in mind that there are also Vanilla Game and Quests.
Magician academy etc.

(and of course hundreds of mods that use spells)
Is the question - black list or white list. Which one is shorter?

The easiest way would be to be able to temporarily deactivate the mod or the corresponding scripts using MCM.
What about enchantments (weapons etc.) - is also magic? ;)

I like the idea of make diffrent bounties for the school of magic. I'll see if it's possible to filter for those.

Concerning the Colledge quests, I was going to make spells legal in Winterhold, so that you shouldn't have any trouble in the Colledge. But outside of it, it's then your own risks again to use magic. 

But it'd be strange to get a bounty in Sarthal from the fellow students :/ or anywhere from your companions... I'll have to see how to avoid that...

I think a licensing mechanic is out of the scope of this mod, though.

At the moment I work at refining the detection mechanism. Currently you still get the bounty when detected by wolves or deers^^ 

What I could achive was to filter properly for potion and ingrediens, that would also fire the script. I'll have to test for enchantments yet.

[...] (and of course hundreds of mods that use spells)
Is the question - black list or white list. Which one is shorter?

That could really become a problem. If only vanilla spells are allowed, mods that use spells for settings or simply the SL matchmaker wouldn't get you into trouble.
But on the other hand, mods that deliver new combat spells for example, would then be oblivious to any bounty....
It seems that either way, there are conflicts...

The only idea that I have is to make the mod toggleable, best with an hotkey...
Seems I don't get around making a MCM. (it's really a lot of writing work, these things easily double the workload of a mod)

First, for the detection problem, there's already a mod called NARC, that resolves this problem. At least I think this could be your problem, too, if you hook up on the vanilla bounty system.

Second: isn't there any way to check the related school and potential power of a spell, when it gets equipped/casted? Like this, any spell mod should be compatible, as long as they integrate into the vanilla schools, or am I wrong? 

Well, the scripts are not really doubled.
A simple if else return nothing should suffice.
But the question of compatibility is really important and not easy to solve, that's why I pointed it out.

In my view, it is not possible to consider all mods or vanilla quests. Hence the suggestion of an MCM for deactivating the scripts (return nothing). It works without MCM, but is a self-defined hotkey - nicer.

It's a good idea and I wish you success - a Skyrim without magic. I could think about playing Skyrim.

4 hours ago, Guffel said:

I like the idea of make diffrent bounties for the school of magic. I'll see if it's possible to filter for those.

Concerning the Colledge quests, I was going to make spells legal in Winterhold, so that you shouldn't have any trouble in the Colledge. But outside of it, it's then your own risks again to use magic. 

But it'd be strange to get a bounty in Sarthal from the fellow students :/ or anywhere from your companions... I'll have to see how to avoid that...

I think a licensing mechanic is out of the scope of this mod, though.

At the moment I work at refining the detection mechanism. Currently you still get the bounty when detected by wolves or deers^^ 

What I could achive was to filter properly for potion and ingrediens, that would also fire the script. I'll have to test for enchantments yet.

That could really become a problem. If only vanilla spells are allowed, mods that use spells for settings or simply the SL matchmaker wouldn't get you into trouble.
But on the other hand, mods that deliver new combat spells for example, would then be oblivious to any bounty....
It seems that either way, there are conflicts...

The only idea that I have is to make the mod toggleable, best with an hotkey...
Seems I don't get around making a MCM. (it's really a lot of writing work, these things easily double the workload of a mod)

Oh yea I haven't thought about the winterhold quests, places uneffected by the law is a good idea, also modded quests, a sort of "off switch" in the mcm menu would be welcome so good idea dude, also the "off switch" could be a solution to modded spells like if you wan't to change a setting or want to use matchmaker just turn the mod off for a bit, then turn it back on when you're finished, it's a more simple solution to magic mod conflicts other than weeding them out then again I'm not a modder so weeding them out might be a better solution so I'll just let you decide. also with the licensing thing I never actually  expected that to be in the mod I just took it as a way to explain why court wizards, alchemists, and healers aren't being persecuted, so that's fine. and lastly I have a question would it be possible to make it so certain factions won't turn you in (this could also be a solution to the college of winterhold quests, and keeping animals from turning you in) cuz it would be weird if you get a bounty from a bandit or even weirder a warlock or vampire, it would also be odd if master Neloth turned you in for using magic too, also people who use SD+ might decide to join any of the magic using crime factions(warlocks, necromancers, vampires, etc) and it would be weird if they got turned in by them after joining them for using magic.

Archived