(sorta solved) Windows 10 Keeps 'forgetting' Firewall exclusions

Reginald_001

So I have an app which I use to check several RSS feeds online, basically it's a sort of iGoogle thingy with some extra's in there.

It worked for years, until I upgraded to Win 10. After every reboot I need to add this app to the exclusion list in the firewall, otherwise all traffic is blocked.

Oh it's not like it's not IN THERE. It just blocks the app until I remove it from the Firewall exclusions, then re-add it.

I did a lot of googling, but none of those hits apply to me, they are about entries not being remembered.

My exclusion entry IS remembered, it's in there and the GUI says that it should 'allow' all traffic, yet the traffic gets blocked, until I remove/re-add the exclusion.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Well you know how this goes right..?

You search for days/weeks for an issue. Then you decide to 'ask help' in a thread like this.

So you make the thread, then figure, let's give it the ole' college try and google 1 more time....

And turns out the first hit I clicked (several pages down) had the answer.

I use VPN software, which dynamically creates virtual network adapaters. It turns out the firewall remembers exclusions per network adapter.

This means that whenever I reboot my machine and a new virtual network adapter is created, it makes the old rules invalid for the current networking adapter.

I created a ticket at my VPN provider so they can take a look at a possible solve.

But this looks like a windows issue, so not solved, but probably won't be solved either.

On 6/30/2018 at 9:30 AM, Reginald_001 said:

It turns out the firewall remembers exclusions per network adapter.

Well this might get difficult, it might turn out to NOT be a "Bug".

It makes sense to store Firewall settings per Adapter, rather than globally.

If you use multiple Adapters (Virtual or real) you might WANT to have them configured differently.

Its more like the VPN-Software's fault, to create and delete a new adapter, whenever you restart, with no option to turn off this behavior.

Archived