On 11/27/2023 at 5:56 PM, ButchDiavolo said:

To be honest, no.

The slightly more helpful response would be that you probably have some sort of mod incompatibility. Crashes like this can be caused by literally hundreds of different things. It could be a faulty mesh, a script error (unlikely in this case), the Hagraven at Orphan Rock having bad gas today, etc.

To try and figure out what exactly is causing it, you can try first putting the mod as low as possible in the modlist. If you use MO2, this means in the left column.

If that doesn't help, you could install Crash Logger, then play until you crash and check the crashlog (in your C:\Users\[computer name]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE directory). If you can't make sense of it, you could send me the crashlog (as a file or under a spoiler!) and I will see what I can find.

thanks, I'll try dragging it to the bottom of the load order. if that doesn't work I'll get crash logger and send you the log

On 11/27/2023 at 5:56 PM, ButchDiavolo said:

To be honest, no.

The slightly more helpful response would be that you probably have some sort of mod incompatibility. Crashes like this can be caused by literally hundreds of different things. It could be a faulty mesh, a script error (unlikely in this case), the Hagraven at Orphan Rock having bad gas today, etc.

To try and figure out what exactly is causing it, you can try first putting the mod as low as possible in the modlist. If you use MO2, this means in the left column.

If that doesn't help, you could install Crash Logger, then play until you crash and check the crashlog (in your C:\Users\[computer name]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE directory). If you can't make sense of it, you could send me the crashlog (as a file or under a spoiler!) and I will see what I can find.

well dragging it to the bottom fixed it! don't know how or why but it works now, thanks

5 hours ago, shwabam said:

well dragging it to the bottom fixed it! don't know how or why but it works now, thanks

Welcome to Skyrim Modding ;)

Something probably overwrote the door mesh causing problems. Or it was indeed the Hagraven at Orphan Rock after Taco Tuesday. As I said, it could literally be anything.But I am glad you got it solved. Enjoy the mod.

• 1 month later...

been tinkering with this for a little over an hour and can't seem to figure out why, but i'm having ctd when entering the inn.

i've
>made a new save
>reinstalled
>walked to the village (instead of fast travel)
>reordered the mod to put it lowest in load order

pastebin crash log

10 hours ago, tonksy said:

been tinkering with this for a little over an hour and can't seem to figure out why, but i'm having ctd when entering the inn.

i've
>made a new save
>reinstalled
>walked to the village (instead of fast travel)
>reordered the mod to put it lowest in load order

pastebin crash log

after scouring around in the logs and using SSEEdit, found that it was the talos statue patch causing the crash, disabling it fixes the ctd, but the talos statue in the village becomes vanilla (i do have monuments of men)

10 hours ago, tonksy said:

after scouring around in the logs and using SSEEdit, found that it was the talos statue patch causing the crash, disabling it fixes the ctd, but the talos statue in the village becomes vanilla (i do have monuments of men)

Hi Tonksy,

Thanks for reporting this issue AND providing a crashlog. Especially the log is much appreciated.

Looking at the log, it appears there is an issue with the navmesh and the Inn door, which sounds similar to the problem Shwabam had earlier. Unfortunately moving the mod down didn't fix it for you (dammit). Both issues are kinda odd, since I haven't touched either the navmesh OR the Inn door with the patch. The navmesh problem I can sort of understand, since the swapped statue has a slightly different "foot print". But the door?

Anyway, I am currently finishing up a new Skyrim modlist, but I will have a look asap to see if I can track down and fix the problem.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, tonksy said:

Annoyingly, I wasn't able to replicate the error. I did ran the patch through CreationKit and found out the patch had NavMesh records, which it doesn't need (It is just a mesh replacer), so I removed that. I ran around Cocksmen trying all the doors and the statue (and the men... oh my). I am exhausted and quite sore now.

Oh, right... the patch! Sorry about that. I have attached the, hopefully cleaned and working, new patch to this post. Could you try it and see if that stops the crashes?

Cocksmen Talos Replacer Patch 1.1.7z

Edited by ButchDiavolo
9 hours ago, ButchDiavolo said:

Annoyingly, I wasn't able to replicate the error. I did ran the patch through CreationKit and found out the patch had NavMesh records, which it doesn't need (It is just a mesh replacer), so I removed that. I ran around Cocksmen trying all the doors and the statue (and the men... oh my). I am exhausted and quite sore now.

Oh, right... the patch! Sorry about that. I have attached the, hopefully cleaned and working, new patch to this post. Could you try it and see if that stops the crashes?

Cocksmen Talos Replacer Patch 1.1.7z 24.71 kB · 1 download

this new patch fixed it, thank you. now i have the lewd talos statues /and/ i can enter the inn. wonderful.

Hi, I remember enjoying this mod, but I have since picked up the Kaidan mod, and it seems that the 2 are incompatible due to kaidan placing a house where some parts of the village is. Is it possible/has someone tried to make a patch to allow both to coexist? I think it could be very nice to have the house from Kaidan in the Cocksmen Village as a "friendly" neighbour. 

Hi, I just wanted to tell you about a very small incompatibility :)

If you have the mod Swift Steeds (Its not on the nexus anymore but you can still find the file around, or have the old file hanging around like I do) then the village is places right where one of the tents and horse camps is

its nothing game breaking, just means there are some horses inside of a house mesh and you have to use TLC to get to them :) just wanted to mention it incase anyone needs to know

On 1/3/2024 at 9:43 PM, Asphodelium said:

Hi, I remember enjoying this mod, but I have since picked up the Kaidan mod, and it seems that the 2 are incompatible due to kaidan placing a house where some parts of the village is. Is it possible/has someone tried to make a patch to allow both to coexist? I think it could be very nice to have the house from Kaidan in the Cocksmen Village as a "friendly" neighbour. 

Well, I have tried to make a patch for Kaiden when I first discovered the mod plunks a house into the pond at Cocksmen. Unfortunately, I ended up with a Picasso or even Dali version of Cocksmen. The main issue is that there is a pivotal scene in that area and moving the bits and bobs associated with that will break it. After that experience (=trauma) I gave up trying to make patches which involves moving houses/ scenery. I am still hoping someone can make a patch by moving Kaiden's house to the other side of the road to Ivarstead. Since ffabris gave up modding and left LL, I don't know anyone who could.

So a general call out to users of Cocksmen: if you or someone you know can make patches, please let them contact me or just tell them to create a patch for Kaiden. After contacting the creator of Kaiden for permission first of course.

11 hours ago, rubythewaffle said:

Hi, I just wanted to tell you about a very small incompatibility :)

If you have the mod Swift Steeds (Its not on the nexus anymore but you can still find the file around, or have the old file hanging around like I do) then the village is places right where one of the tents and horse camps is

its nothing game breaking, just means there are some horses inside of a house mesh and you have to use TLC to get to them :) just wanted to mention it incase anyone needs to know

Since it isn't on Nexus, I don't think I have to add it to the incompatibility note. I am sure people will find your comment by using google/ LL site search if they need it.

But Thanks for letting us know!

On 1/15/2024 at 9:30 AM, Jeechiow said:

I also have this problem.

Hi Jeechiouw, thanks for sending the crashlog.

I just uploaded a new version of the mod which should, hopefully, fix the crashes when entering the Inn.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all: thank you, ButchDiavolo, for all the time and effort you've put on this mod/rework and the support you've given to the community of players.

Second: I hope anyone could help me. I've been having CTDs since I first tried this mod in December last year. At first it was when I entered any cell from the village, but after the January 14th update I was able to start the quests. I still crash when entering the houses north of the road for some reason, but oh well. Now I'm stuck at CVTalos2 since, when the SL scene ends (trying to not spoil something here), I think the character is transported somewhere else and I think it starts CVTalos3, or it would if I didn't immediately crash to desktop during the loading screen. Trainwreck suggests a problem with NavMeshes, but I don't yet know how to use the tools we have to edit them (I'm still learning). I was hoping that, since you updated the navmeshes for the inn in that last update, something similar could be done to the rest of the cells. Could you give me a hint or recommendations so I could fix this for my setup? I seem to be the only one having this problem, so I don't want to bother you or anyone else with an update.

I'm playing on Anniversary Edition 1.6.1130, using Vortex for the LOOT and NexusMods integration. I created a second profile with a barely minimal installation of SKSE, SL, XPMSS, SoS, Papyrus, Racemenu, SLAL, SkyUI and bugfixes to test, 35 mods in total, but even with no mods for armor, clutter, weather, NPCs, AI, etc... can I escape the CTD.

Here is the crashlog, in case you want to give it a look over. Thanks in advance: https://pastebin.com/211SQ052

12 hours ago, bilo90 said:

First of all: thank you, ButchDiavolo, for all the time and effort you've put on this mod/rework and the support you've given to the community of players.

Second: I hope anyone could help me. I've been having CTDs since I first tried this mod in December last year. At first it was when I entered any cell from the village, but after the January 14th update I was able to start the quests. I still crash when entering the houses north of the road for some reason, but oh well. Now I'm stuck at CVTalos2 since, when the SL scene ends (trying to not spoil something here), I think the character is transported somewhere else and I think it starts CVTalos3, or it would if I didn't immediately crash to desktop during the loading screen. Trainwreck suggests a problem with NavMeshes, but I don't yet know how to use the tools we have to edit them (I'm still learning). I was hoping that, since you updated the navmeshes for the inn in that last update, something similar could be done to the rest of the cells. Could you give me a hint or recommendations so I could fix this for my setup? I seem to be the only one having this problem, so I don't want to bother you or anyone else with an update.

I'm playing on Anniversary Edition 1.6.1130, using Vortex for the LOOT and NexusMods integration. I created a second profile with a barely minimal installation of SKSE, SL, XPMSS, SoS, Papyrus, Racemenu, SLAL, SkyUI and bugfixes to test, 35 mods in total, but even with no mods for armor, clutter, weather, NPCs, AI, etc... can I escape the CTD.

Here is the crashlog, in case you want to give it a look over. Thanks in advance: https://pastebin.com/211SQ052

Hi Bilo90,

I am sorry to hear that you (too) are having problems with this mod.

I had a look at your crash log (thanks for including it), but I don't see any references that mention NavMeshes? I re-ran all the navmeshes in the latest version I uploaded, so not just the Inn.

I am not seeing anything that really jumps out in your crash log. And Trainwreck looks different to the crash-logs I am "used"to (he says, pretending to be an expert log reader...). I use CrashLogger for this, but that is up to you of course. The only thing that jumps out at me is the tbbmalloc.dll mentions.

Do you have SSE Engine Fixes installed? If so, since you are on version 1130, do you have the recommended settings turned to false? Engine Fixes hasn't been updated to be used with versions 1130 and up yet. So I am hoping this is causing your crashes *fingers crossed*

The setting you should use in EngineFixes.toml for now are:

EnableAchievementsWithMods = false
SaveAddedSoundCategories = false
SaveScreenshots = false

If changing these settings don't help and you still crash, please send me the new crashlog, so I can see if the crashes are similar.

On 1/10/2024 at 8:27 AM, ButchDiavolo said:

So a general call out to users of Cocksmen: if you or someone you know can make patches, please let them contact me or just tell them to create a patch for Kaiden. After contacting the creator of Kaiden for permission first of course.

Butch, before my 1800 mod build kicked the bucket I was planning to make a patch that moved Kaidan's house into Cocksmen Village proper. Unfortunately that build died before I got to that part, but if I end up using both mods in my current build I'll likely do the same patch. I'll let you know if this gets done - though I can't make any promises right now.

16 hours ago, gregaaz said:

Butch, before my 1800 mod build kicked the bucket I was planning to make a patch that moved Kaidan's house into Cocksmen Village proper. Unfortunately that build died before I got to that part, but if I end up using both mods in my current build I'll likely do the same patch. I'll let you know if this gets done - though I can't make any promises right now.

That would be awesome of course! But no pressure (the power of Talos compels you!!). Whenever or if you get to it will be fine (Talos orders you to do it NOW!).

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2024 at 4:07 PM, ButchDiavolo said:

Hi Bilo90,

I am sorry to hear that you (too) are having problems with this mod.

I had a look at your crash log (thanks for including it), but I don't see any references that mention NavMeshes? I re-ran all the navmeshes in the latest version I uploaded, so not just the Inn.

I am not seeing anything that really jumps out in your crash log. And Trainwreck looks different to the crash-logs I am "used"to (he says, pretending to be an expert log reader...). I use CrashLogger for this, but that is up to you of course. The only thing that jumps out at me is the tbbmalloc.dll mentions.

Do you have SSE Engine Fixes installed? If so, since you are on version 1130, do you have the recommended settings turned to false? Engine Fixes hasn't been updated to be used with versions 1130 and up yet. So I am hoping this is causing your crashes *fingers crossed*

The setting you should use in EngineFixes.toml for now are:

EnableAchievementsWithMods = false
SaveAddedSoundCategories = false
SaveScreenshots = false

If changing these settings don't help and you still crash, please send me the new crashlog, so I can see if the crashes are similar.

Hi again. Sorry for the online silence.

Actually I was using all the correct settings. So I needed to try again something else, but these recent weeks I've had very little time to play. Finally got some hours to test again and disabled a couple of mods, namely CC patches and USSEP, started a new save and... Voilà, everything worked: entering the village houses, the barracks, the teleport after the potion drink scene... Added those same mods, no changes to load order... And everything STILL worked fine! So my guess is something is getting saved and or borked from another-another mod. I enabled almost 150 until it borked again, now with some strange error about a mouse action. The mod is awesome. Skyrim as an engine for mods? Not so much. Finding out what was after the teleport was a very pleasant surprise for me an my character.

In short: Thank you very much for your time, effort, helpful tips for everyone in the forum, and I'm sorry I caused you such nuissance. I'll again try to diagnose the problem. I wish the days were longer... To sleep a couple hours more would be so nice.

2 hours ago, bilo90 said:

Hi again. Sorry for the online silence.

Actually I was using all the correct settings. So I needed to try again something else, but these recent weeks I've had very little time to play. Finally got some hours to test again and disabled a couple of mods, namely CC patches and USSEP, started a new save and... Voilà, everything worked: entering the village houses, the barracks, the teleport after the potion drink scene... Added those same mods, no changes to load order... And everything STILL worked fine! So my guess is something is getting saved and or borked from another-another mod. I enabled almost 150 until it borked again, now with some strange error about a mouse action. The mod is awesome. Skyrim as an engine for mods? Not so much. Finding out what was after the teleport was a very pleasant surprise for me an my character.

In short: Thank you very much for your time, effort, helpful tips for everyone in the forum, and I'm sorry I caused you such nuissance. I'll again try to diagnose the problem. I wish the days were longer... To sleep a couple hours more would be so nice.

You didn't cause any nuisance at all. Every time Bethesda "updated" Skyrim, I worry that it will finally break the mods I had a (tiny) hand in for good. It has been soooo many years since I worked on scripting and such, that I would not be able to update them again to a working mod. So I am always relieved to hear that, so far, errors are easily fixed and/ or general Skyrim weirdness.

Looking back at the posts and my responses after the new versions of Skyrim hit, I see I have failed to mention a very important mod people should use after they updated beyond Skyrim version 1.6.640 and then downgraded back to 1.6.640 (or further back): Back ported Extended ESL Support (BEES). Or maybe I did, but I am going blind in my old age. Anyway, the reason for this: the newer versions (1130 and 1170) extended the possibility to use more ESL, ESM etc files. From 2048 to 4096. To make this possible the upgraded the file headers from 1.70 to 1.71. This may not seem like a big deal, but it really is. Mods with a file header of less that 1.71 (older mods) will now usually cause a crash if you backported the game to below game version 1130. So if you are having random/ unexplained crashes with this (or any other older mod), download BEES. However, if you are using Skyrim 1130 or 1170 (so NOT downgraded) BEES is redundant. I will also update the mod description with this information.

So Bilo, if the above applies to your setup, it could well be that the 150th mod is an older mod causing trouble?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2024 at 5:42 AM, ButchDiavolo said:

You didn't cause any nuisance at all. Every time Bethesda "updated" Skyrim, I worry that it will finally break the mods I had a (tiny) hand in for good. It has been soooo many years since I worked on scripting and such, that I would not be able to update them again to a working mod. So I am always relieved to hear that, so far, errors are easily fixed and/ or general Skyrim weirdness.

Looking back at the posts and my responses after the new versions of Skyrim hit, I see I have failed to mention a very important mod people should use after they updated beyond Skyrim version 1.6.640 and then downgraded back to 1.6.640 (or further back): Back ported Extended ESL Support (BEES). Or maybe I did, but I am going blind in my old age. Anyway, the reason for this: the newer versions (1130 and 1170) extended the possibility to use more ESL, ESM etc files. From 2048 to 4096. To make this possible the upgraded the file headers from 1.70 to 1.71. This may not seem like a big deal, but it really is. Mods with a file header of less that 1.71 (older mods) will now usually cause a crash if you backported the game to below game version 1130. So if you are having random/ unexplained crashes with this (or any other older mod), download BEES. However, if you are using Skyrim 1130 or 1170 (so NOT downgraded) BEES is redundant. I will also update the mod description with this information.

So Bilo, if the above applies to your setup, it could well be that the 150th mod is an older mod causing trouble?

Well, mystery solved. It was the Talos statue patch. I had not read all the previous posts, and ended up wasting many hours of sleep (and today) selecting a de-selecting mods to find the cause. After I found it was this one I checked the thread and right there was, you had already addressed the problem in January. Turns out I still the one from last year that still had the navmesh problem, I had only read until the most recent CV patch and updated the main mod, not the patch. Thank you, ButchDiavolo. Now I feel more confident I can update to 1170 (now 1179? What the SouldCairn, Bethesda. Calm your horses and let me finish a playthrough without having to update my modlist!). I hope my story serves as a warning to others to always check the full thread before looking for trouble. Happy Easter!

3 hours ago, bilo90 said:

Well, mystery solved. It was the Talos statue patch. I had not read all the previous posts, and ended up wasting many hours of sleep (and today) selecting a de-selecting mods to find the cause. After I found it was this one I checked the thread and right there was, you had already addressed the problem in January. Turns out I still the one from last year that still had the navmesh problem, I had only read until the most recent CV patch and updated the main mod, not the patch. Thank you, ButchDiavolo. Now I feel more confident I can update to 1170 (now 1179? What the SouldCairn, Bethesda. Calm your horses and let me finish a playthrough without having to update my modlist!). I hope my story serves as a warning to others to always check the full thread before looking for trouble. Happy Easter!

Ack, yes. That kind of thing happens to me a lot as well. In fact I spend the last 1,5 weeks chasing a bug. Turned out it was a change I made myself to AI Overhaul. *sigh* The tiniest mistakes can have big effects.

And you don't HAVE to update when Bethesda pushes it's paid mods you know. I am still on 1.1.640 and (apart from my self-made bug). It works fine. I play Skyrim with Steam in offline mode. I am not updating until I know Bethesda has stopped it's unwanted "updates" and mod creators have had time to catch up as well. btw, version 1170 is the Steam version and 1179 is the GOG version.

Anyway, glad you found the problem (and glad it wasn't something associated with scripting *phew*)