Perls of Knowledge - Modding

Hello,

this thread is to share the truths and the best knowledge about how to mod. No specific game.

There are some rules.

I will manage posts, post your stuff, if it gets in less than a week at lest 3 approvals, it will be added. If not it will be deleted.

All unrelated posts will be deleted, no matter what, as soon I can.

Kind Regards,

In my opinion there are some basic rules in modding

1. Find out what I want to change in the game I want to play

2. How can I achieve that, with few impact on the game as possible. (Change only the game stats you really need)

3. Think about your mod at least  3 times to prevent mod conflicts (Are my changes really necessary to the goal I want to achieve? Er is there is another easier way to get thee result I want to have?)

4. If you are done with point 1-3 publish your mod

[APPROVED BY CPU]

• Make use of game mechancs and don't unneccesarily modify them if that is not your intention. Updates or other modifications will possibly lead to problems.
  • Like learning to program it's important to get an understanding of what is possible and how. Looking for resources and implementing some basic stuff will help a lot.
  • Test your mods and don't release them if you're not sure they're working properly.
  • Don't overextend. Like ijakor mentioned, set yourself a goal and stick to it. You can always write another mod.
  • Make sure to read about every interface you're using, in what form it may exist. For example: There might be cases where something only works in specific circumstances.
  • Try to set up an environment you can work comfortably with. That also encompasses a default setup for your projects and stuff such as naming conventions, how to name your files, etc. That stuff can and will be very important. Mess will result in mess. You should always have a good overview over your project
  • Have fun. Take breaks :)

[Game not specified. CPU]

Advanced SkyUI modding.

Yeah, SkyUI can be a bitch.

You way want to access to its internal stuff, but as soon you touch any script all get lost in the game.

Procedure I used so far:

• Create a specific mod in MO
  • Decompile SkyUI PECs
  • Write your mod using the uncompile stuff functions
  • Compile you mod
  • Remove the uncompiled stuff from MO
  • Test your changes

Nice thread. I have a few tips I would like to share:

1- Before you mod a game, make sure that you completed it in it's "vanilla" state at least once. Modding can change a game depending on the game and the mods, and there's a difference in "Taste" between Vanilla and modded. Trying both is a good experience

2- Before you mod a game, know HOW you will do so and what tools you will use (If there's any). Know the tools and/or the methods/ways/techniques and fully understand them before you use them. Don't do/use something that you don't know/understand yet

3- When modding, keep it clean; ALWAYS backup everything so you can revert anytime. You never know when shit might hit the fan....

4- When modding, keep it simple at first. DON'T delve into something too complicated OR drastically game-changing....unless you fully understand it. [Related to #2]

5- Always know that:
=> NOT ALL GAMES ARE MODDABLE
=> 
NOT ALL GAMES ARE GOOD WITH MODS
=> AND 
NOT ALL MODS ARE GOOD!!

6- If you create mods, then MAKE SURE TO DAMN WELL TEST YOUR MODS before releasing them!!! Testing is the most important part of any project, but that doesn't mean testing extensively makes it "Bug Free". However, testing beforehand makes the job easier ahead when debugging/fixing ahead (If required). There's always more room for improving...

7- If you create mods, make sure to FULLY EXPLAIN your mod. The rule of "Less is more" doesn't apply here XD. If you make it public, then you should explain it, or else, what's the point of releasing something that others wouldn't understand OR know how to use?

8- If you create mods, make sure that you're ready to answer any questions that are thrown at you AND accept feedback/criticism thrown at your mod. People will always/most of the time ask or need help with a mod/your mod and there will always be comments and talk. If you are the mod creator, I believe it's your 'duty' to help those who ask for it. If you are not ready to answer anything/everything, then MAKE DAMN SURE to follow #7, and if you don't accept criticism....then good luck ?

9- If you create mods, be creative, try not to rely much on others stuff, DON'T STEAL ANYTHING and NEVER USE SOMEONE ELSE's WORK WITHOUT PERMISSION!! In my 'humble' opinion, original creations are always the best. Using things/tools/stuff that you made yourself is always best, but that's not universal. Sometimes working on someone else's work might be better than the original 

10- FINALLY, just enjoy it! It's not worth it if it's not fun :) 

I will call those "The 10 Tips For Modding" :D  :D 

• 3 weeks later...

As i played highly modded Bethesda games like Morrowwind, Oblivion, Fo3, FONV, Fo4 some thoughts about scripted Mods

1. Does my Mod need On Load Events? A lot of high scriped Mod use it, but if a lot of Mods use it the games script engine cant handle all of them. (ctds on load).

2 .Do i even need scripts?

3. is it really necessary to create a lot of script instances likes sexlab aroused does? (SexLab Aroused  + span mods = nightmare for a computer(500 by mods added nps which all ave added arousal script????) or is it enought to track the arousal stat on user defined npcs but not all of the from other mods generated npcs

4. Keep in mind that your mod is not the only mod that is used by other players. Keep your mods as simple as possible and affect as few instances as possible.

Archived