Let's talk Smash Ultimate

Irrational

• 2 weeks later...

So far the only impressive thing is the roster. I'm assuming most of the assets from previous games have been used or recycled so I'm expecting more from this game. 

However, 

1. Looks like there aren't new characters besides Riley (so stupid) and those painting kids. 

2. Doesn't look like there will be a story mode like brawl. 

3. Way too many echo characters

4. Everyone pretty much has the same special attacks minus the change they made with the free roam ones. 

While I appreciate a new smash game, I really feel Nintendo got lazy with this one.

As a pretty technical player. This game actually has a lot of new mechanics.

• Perfect shield has been changed to the timing of your release which allows a parry mechanic. This means if done correctly out of shield options are greatly improved.
  • Return of directional air dodging. Can only be done once which means it's easier to keep opponents in disadvantage states.
  • Roll staling: No more roll spammers. It wasn't a problem to me, but beginners have a hard time with roll spammers.
  • Most characters don't slide after dashing and can immediately turn directions like in Melee.
  • Auto cancels and aerial cancels work faster upon landing. In Smash 4 committing to an aerial attack upon landing usually results in enough lag to capitalize a punish.
  • You can actually do attack tilts/smash attacks out of dash. This is game changing as smash 4 and melee's only option out of dash is a dash attack. This opens a plethora of options for mix up and pressure game.  In other smash games the only way to move and do a tilt/smash attack was to learn movement tech like wave dash, foxtrots, and perfect pivots which takes time to master. It seems this game's movement options is a lot more responsive from the get go which means it rewards aggressive play styles.
  • Various character's moveset changed. I.E. Pikachu's neutral air, Gannon's smashes, Marth's dancing blade and shield breaker, Zelda's down special. Etc. According to what I've heard from the competitive scene, a lot of moves are being reworked which is why a lot of characters aren't playable in the demo.

Overall this game actually has a much more aggressive meta than smash 4 which was much more focused on defense. The only issue I have with the game is how characters are sent flying really fast to the blast zone but don't die. Sometimes even jabs have huge knock back. As of now it looks like the game still needs tweaking on the physics or this game might not be combo-centric since it's hard to keep opponents within combo distance. But I'm super excited to delve into this new meta game.

Btw: I'm a Marth, Peach main on Sm4sh and Melee.

Archived