Help Picking Out A SSD

My budget is $120

My intent is for games

My expected min space is 150GB

My games will be Skyrim, Fallout 4, Sims 4, etc.

I expect its lifespan to be 5-10 years

Specs

Windows 10 64-Bit

750 Ti 2GB

i5-4460 3.2GHz quad-core

8GB DDR3

1TB HD (not sure what it is but its from a pre built and I had it since I was 18, going onto 23 this June)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary

My HD and RAM came from a old pre built HP Pavilion model p7-1254

Hm, in your situation I'd wait a while and save $50 more. At the moment I could recommend you Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB, but for the aforementioned 50 bucks you could get yourself a 500 GB version which would definitely be more appropriate for moddable games such as Skyrim or FO4.

The advantage of Samsung is that it's currently one of the most recommended SSD manufacturers and their drives are lighting fast, come with a 5 years lasting warranty and have cool firmware that let's you monitor the use of disk as well as manage the resources.

I myself have a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB and can't complain about it. With two partitions (one for system, the other one for games) it takes my PC circa 10 seconds to boot up (sometimes it actually boots up in one to two seconds less). I like it to the point that I'm currently considering purchasing another one, lol.

Hm, in your situation I'd wait a while and save $50 more. At the moment I could recommend you Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB, but for the aforementioned 50 bucks you could get yourself a 500 GB version which would definitely be more appropriate for moddable games such as Skyrim or FO4.

The advantage of Samsung is that it's currently one of the most recommended SSD manufacturers and their drives are lighting fast, come with a 5 years lasting warranty and have cool firmware that let's you monitor the use of disk as well as manage the resources.

I myself have a Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB and can't complain about it. With two partitions (one for system, the other one for games) it takes my PC circa 10 seconds to boot up (sometimes it actually boots up in one to two seconds less). I like it to the point that I'm currently considering purchasing another one, lol.

It's also worth noting that Samsung is the only SSD manufacturer (at least that I'm aware of) that offers such a warranty.  Most others are 1-3 years.

Don't know.

So why am I posting?

I bought 1 960Gb SATA SSD drive 16 or so months ago, error-free since then.

But my games are on a 1TB hard drive, all those saves and mods being erased and re-copied made me think I needed one.

16 (or so) months later "crystaldiskinfo" says both drives work great.

And your 120gb dream drive sells for 87.

The reason it's cheap is many people recommend another brand, based on some reviewer who got one free.

90 +50 (for a 1tb hard drive), it seems fair.

But "$120" budget, ok 160gb HD + 120gb SSD (boot drive) and you don't lose everything if one of the drives dies.

post-392535-0-78685200-1495580678_thumb.jpg

250 GB won't be enough.

I currently have a 240GB SanDisk SSD where my OS is installed, Microsoft word, and Fallout 4 only with mods.

I'm running out of space already because of the mods from fallout 4. I DOUBT you can fit Fallout 4 and Skyrim if you intend to mod. I'm currently in the market for a 1TB SSD and will be holding a give away for my 5 month olf SanDisk 240 GB.

It's also worth noting that Samsung is the only SSD manufacturer (at least that I'm aware of) that offers such a warranty.  Most others are 1-3 years.

Intel also offers decently long warranties on their SSDs. They're also up there in pricing, since you're paying for the longer warranty and higher write lifetime.

I'll give another vote for the Samsung drives. Ive been using at least 1 SSD in my PCs since back when 30GB was the biggest you could get. OCZ were ok to start with but fell into a hole and became/were almost impossible to get replaced under warranty.

Im currently running

C:  250GB 850 EVO M.2 drive as my boot drive (installed Sept 2015)

D:  1TB 850 PRO as my main games drive (installed Feb 2016

E:  512GB 850 PRO as my stuff drive (as in stuff gets put there until i decide if Im keeping it) (installed Sept 2015)

Haven't had any issues with the Samsung drives and I have 4 others spread across  various machines in the house including 840 EVOs installed in 2013.

The magician software is useful BUT there are/were some issues with its AHCI driver and win10. But as a tool for checking your drive status its good and it does have a neat little migration tool for moving your stuff from one drive to a new one.

Intel also offers decently long warranties on their SSDs. They're also up there in pricing, since you're paying for the longer warranty and higher write lifetime.

Huh.  They do indeed.  It looks like an Intel 540s 480GB runs $180 right now (Newegg), and has a 5-year warranty.  Read/write speeds are comparable to Samsung 850 EVO drives.

Also, don't let the odd "480GB" storage value confuse you.  It's a 512GB drive with forced over-provisioning, which is vital to getting the maximum lifespan out of your drive.  Any SSD whose reported storage space is a multiple of 2 (i.e. 512GB in this case) should be manually over-provisioned anyway, so you actually end up with the same amount of usable space regardless.

Personally i'd save up a bit more for a larger capacity and then just use it as a main drive with a secondary HDD for media as i think you will struggle to fit the OS (for the performance benefit) plus games on a 150GB

I have a 512 SSD (i cloned my previous HDD so the actual capacity is a bit lower as it also cloned the partition that had the recovery OS on) which i use as my main drive (waited till SSD's got up to a decent capacity to buy myself) and then a 1 TB HDD i use for video's and as my back up